San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At Belmont QC now - when I got there both spaces were occupied, now waiting in line behind other car waiting for charge to start. Hopefully VW won't start limiting access if there are lines of cars waiting to be QC'd.

Now it is official:
ECOtality Partners with Volkswagen Group to Install Blink® DC Fast Charger in Northern California

Blink DC Fast Charger Connects San Jose to San Francisco for EV drivers

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – Tuesday, July 17, 2012 – ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, today announced the first Blink® DC Fast Charger in the San Francisco Bay Area has been installed at Volkswagen Group of America’s Electronics Research Laboratory (ERL) in Belmont, California. The Blink DC Fast Charger is capable of providing an 80% charge in under 30 minutes for most electric vehicles (EVs).

“Installing the first publicly accessible Blink DC Fast Charger in Northern California is essential for connecting the San Jose to San Francisco corridor and serves as a cornerstone for growing our EV charge infrastructure,” stated Jonathan Read, CEO of ECOtality. “This installation symbolizes Volkswagen’s commitment to electric transportation and we look forward to working with them.”

Collaborating closely with the local utility, the installation of the DC Fast Charger will be open for public charging, and is the first deployed in California within The EV Project. Located just off Highway 101, the Volkswagen Group Electronics Research Laboratory was chosen using criteria developed through the EV Micro-Climate™ process, which takes into account a variety of factors including traffic patterns, regional attractions, and retail hubs, as well as input from many regional partners.

“We are excited to partner with ECOtality to bring the first publicly available Blink DC Fast Charger to Northern California, reinforcing Volkswagen’s ongoing commitment to sustainable mobility and clean, efficient transportation,” said Dr. Peter Oel, executive director, Volkswagen Group Electronics Research Laboratory. “This collaboration underscores Volkswagen Group’s Think Blue environmental strategy and supports our goal of offering a competitive suite of market viable technologies that will significantly reduce or eliminate CO2 emissions for our customers today and into the future.”

The Blink DC Fast Charger is rated at 60 kW (200-450 VDC, up to 200A) and provides a quick, safe method of charging EVs. Ideally suited for high-traffic commercial locations and major transportation corridors, the dual-port charger features two EV fast charging connectors and provides an intuitive connector dock for storage and protection. The charger features two interactive touch screens and a 42” color display for media and messaging. To become a member of the Blink Network, visit https://www.blinknetwork.com/membership.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

ECOtality is the project manager of The EV Project, a research initiative to help build America’s future EV infrastructure. The project will provide an EV infrastructure to support the deployment of EVs in key markets. The project is a public-private partnership, funded in part by the U.S. Department of Energy through a federal stimulus grant and made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). For more information about The EV Project, please visit http://www.theevproject.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About ECOtality, Inc.
ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECTY), headquartered in San Francisco, California, is a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies. Through innovation, acquisitions, and strategic partnerships, ECOtality accelerates the market applicability of advanced electric technologies to replace carbon-based fuels. For more information about ECOtality, Inc., please visit http://www.ecotality.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

About the Volkswagen Group Electronics Research Laboratory
Volkswagen Group’s Electronics Research Laboratory (ERL) located in Belmont, California represents the Group’s applied research and development initiatives in North America. With a focus on advanced technology, the ERL’s mission is to develop innovations for future generations of vehicles with the goal of transferring technologies from many industries into the automotive domain. The ERL was established in August of 1998 with three employees and today has grown to become the Volkswagen Group’s largest research facility outside of Germany employing approximately 100 engineers, social scientists, researchers, and product designers.

About Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, the world's third-largest automaker and the largest carmaker in Europe. It operates a manufacturing plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee and houses the U.S. operations of a worldwide family of distinguished and exciting brands including Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Volkswagen, as well as its finance subsidiary VW Credit, Inc. Founded in 1955, the company's headquarters are in Herndon, Virginia. Volkswagen Group of America brings to the U.S. vehicles that marry the science of engineering and the art of styling, with the goal of offering attractive, safe, and environmentally sound automobiles that are competitive and set world standards in their respective classes. The company has more than 4,500 employees in the United States and sells its vehicles through a 940-strong dealer network. With increasing popularity for its brands in the U.S., the company has set the goal of reaching one million car sales in the country by 2018.

Forward-Looking Statements
This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All forward-looking statements are inherently uncertain as they are based on current expectations and assumptions concerning future events or future performance of the company. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which are only predictions and speak only as of the date hereof. In evaluating such statements, prospective investors should review carefully various risks and uncertainties identified in this release and matters set in the company's SEC filings. These risks and uncertainties could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements.

ECOtality Media:
Caitlin Cieslik-Miskimen
Antenna Group for ECOtality
[email protected]
(201) 294-0199 ECOtality Investor Relations:
Ronald A. Both
Managing Director, Liolios Group
[email protected]
(949) 574-3860

Heard about the Santa Rosa one too - that's good news. I kind of wish it was a bit more south but maybe I'll try to make a Russian River run with the LEAF sometime soon. I too wish for 8 or 10 or 50 more, but as we all know, won't believe it till I see it.

TEG said:
Now it is official
ECOtality Partners with Volkswagen Group to Install Blink® DC Fast Charger in Northern California

“Installing the first publicly accessible Blink DC Fast Charger in Northern California is essential for connecting the San Jose to San Francisco corridor and serves as a cornerstone for growing our EV charge infrastructure,” stated Jonathan Read, CEO of ECOtality.

Someone needs to check their facts. Can they really keep claiming this? Stanford Mall was online before this one and was publicly accessible. Now if they were to have claimed "Publicly accessible AND free," then I'll give 'em that

Stanford isn't Blink. You'll note they say "Installing the first publicly accessible Blink DC Fast Charger in Northern California". ;-)

Anyway, both the 350Green (R.I.P., guys) Efacec unit at Stanford and the Blink DC at VW ERL were installed about the same time... but the Blink unit had an extended alpha/beta period. :D

peter said:
Hey PlugShare now shows that there is an active (Blink) DC charger available at Nissan Santa Rosa, though its not on the Blink map. Has anyone checked this out yet?

Yes, I just used it today. Left side worked GREAT! Right side would not read the Blink Card. Since the battery was at 56%, I only had the option to choose 80% charge. Could have really used 90%-100% for the final limp back to the Bay Area.

We certainly can use another DC QC somewhere between SF to Santa Rosa for those travelling from points farther south. The landfill outside of Novato would be great if coupled with biogas of some sort.

Phoenix, you can always select 90% or 100% on the Blink (via "more options", it's somewhat hidden for whatever reason... no matter what your car's state is). Your car will stop at (LEAF) 80% if it's under (LEAF) 50%. If not, it'll get closer to 100%... slowly.

Phoenix said:
peter said:
Hey PlugShare now shows that there is an active (Blink) DC charger available at Nissan Santa Rosa, though its not on the Blink map. Has anyone checked this out yet?

Yes, I just used it today. Left side worked GREAT! Right side would not read the Blink Card. Since the battery was at 56%, I only had the option to choose 80% charge. Could have really used 90%-100% for the final limp back to the Bay Area.

We certainly can use another DC QC somewhere between SF to Santa Rosa for those travelling from points farther south. The landfill outside of Novato would be great if coupled with biogas of some sort.
My vote is for San Rafael, to cater to those heading to/from Pt. Reyes, or Bodega Bay via Hwy 1.

So, my wife and I wanted to make a roughly 170 mile round trip Saturday, going right by the San Ramon QC station each way, and indeed it is located just about perfectly, 55 miles from home. (Three legs of 55, 60, 55 miles.) Recent reports of availability have been positive, so I decided to go for it. I arrived around noon, with no one else around, and after a bit of fiddling figured how to use the connector. (It was my first time to use QC.) I made the usual rookie mistake of believing their 80% -- I knew better from what I'd read here, but forgot it in all the fiddling I had to do while my wife was impatiently watching. That cost me a 45 minute stop at an L2 early on the home-bound trip, but our marriage would be able to survive that. I dropped my lady at the Bishop Ranch shopping center, gave her a $20 bill, and told her I hoped to be back in half an hour or so. She was happy with that.

I was just below VLBW when I arrived at the QC. Oops, there's already another LEAF there. Well, maybe my wife would have up to an hour to shop. No such luck. The other driver pointed at the QC display and then moved his car over to the L2 station. I don't remember the exact wording on the display, but it was something about someone having pushed the emergency disconnect. We had trouble getting through to Blink, but he finally did, and they told him someone would have to come out to reset it, and they couldn't do that until Monday.

55 miles from home, and an empty battery: Since it was mostly freeway, I'd probably need 4-5 hours of L2 charge to make it. It was nearly 7 PM, and of course I couldn't leave my wife at the shopping center until nearly midnight! The only option I could think of was to take on enough charge to get to Pleasanton, and find a motel where we could spend the night and charge the car. (The VW QC was 38 miles in the wrong direction, so not really practical.) Pleasanton was a bad decision: There was a huge girls soccer tournament going on, and all the hotels and motels were overflowing with Brandi Chastain wannabes. I finally found one room at a second rate motel with no charging options at all. I left the LEAF overnight at the Nissan dealer, and used a taxi as a shuttle.

$120 and a very upset wife later I have decided I just can't yet depend on the infrastructure for a trip like that. It's back to the Prius until there are multiple QC charging options.

Ray

That is quite the story and I too am sorry. I have used that QC once and ony one side was working.

I recently received and email from Blink about membership and a waived first year fee. I replied and kindly informed them that there are very few L2s and even fewer L3s, none of which have proved reliable for me to want a membership to rely on their tech.

I strongly urge you to copy your story, verbadium, and send it to Blink & Ecotality. Tell them that you have shared this incident and your feelings with other EV owners via this website and that you don't feel you can rely on their tech with the current systems. I think they need to hear it.

I had the same issue on a week day 2 months ago at the VW Blink. Lost the last bar (but not VLBW) when I arrived, but found the left side connector broke and the right side having software issue. Called blink and they said someone will have to come out to reset.

The sad thing was, there were 2 other charging station vendors on the same lot. AV required some kind of token and when I called AV noone answered. Chargepoint was there but VW locked it down for employee only. Called Chargepoint and they said there's nothing they can do to unlock it.

There I was, miles from home and stuck on a parking lot with 3 different charging station vendor, but noone can help me. I left there just below VLBW fully assuming that I'll likely be towed, but luckily there was a Walgreen nearby so I ended up charging at Walgreen for a few hours just so I can get enough charge to drive to Stanford Mall for the 350Green L3 charger.

That was the last time I counted on Blink. I always check BlinkMAP, but I never believe their status.

planet4ever said:
I don't remember the exact wording on the display, but it was something about someone having pushed the emergency disconnect.
I wish people would post live updates in PlugShare, etc... timely crowd-sourced info can make everyone's life much easier. One can't predict some idiot pressing Emergency Stop when there isn't an emergency. (By the way, if this is pressed... yes, it intentionally needs human intervention to confirm there is no actual problem/emergency, and to reset the unit.)

The Bishop Ranch 6 location was "press released" recently: http://on.mktw.net/PmElNQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - with more people knowing about it, I'm expecting more people breaking/abusing the Yazaki CHAdeMo connectors, and maybe more people pressing Emergency Stop. ;-)

grommet said:
planet4ever said:
I don't remember the exact wording on the display, but it was something about someone having pushed the emergency disconnect.
I wish people would post live updates in PlugShare, etc... timely crowd-sourced info can make everyone's life much easier.
I didn't want to admit this, but you forced it out of me. For perhaps the first time in my life I really wished yesterday that I had a smart phone. It would have let me get a heads-up on the Pleasanton hotel situation before driving down there. And, yes, I would have been able to update PlugShare. I did have my laptop in the car, and it picked up nearly a dozen wi-fi signals, but I couldn't connect to any of them. (There were a couple of simple WEP secured ones, but I'm not into hacking passwords.)

One more confession: This was one of the rare times that I got anything useful out of CarWings. It told me where the Nissan dealer was, and gave me a rough idea of what areas in Pleasanton had concentrations of hotel/motels. Now, if it had only been able to give me phone numbers ...

Ray

Another option that might reduce Q3 surprises is to call blink customer support to verify functionality.

Ray sorry to hear about your "adventure". FYI; a person started a QC session at the AV station in Tumwater on Friday. when they got about 5 KW, they accessed carwings from their smartphone to get a LEAF update and it "probably" caused the AV unit to crash. the station could not be remotely reset successfully and is still down afaik this morning.

wondering what makes these kinds of units so flaky. in my lifetime i have seen dozens of ATMs also out of service (not counting the ones that were simply out of money) as well making them no more reliable only more plentiful.

sdittm1 said:
Another option that might reduce Q3 surprises is to call blink customer support to verify functionality.

I've tried that. The problem is that unless the previous person reported the issue, Blink may not realize that functionality is compromised.

BlinkMAP has showed that both Belmont and San Ramon station are "In Use" continuously the past week (I've checked periodically even at very odd hours). When I called Blink to ask about this, they weren't sure if the charger are actually in use, or are down.

DaveinOlyWA said:
wondering what makes these kinds of units so flaky. in my lifetime i have seen dozens of ATMs also out of service (not counting the ones that were simply out of money) as well making them no more reliable only more plentiful.
Given the reliability of these units, it really seems that they should be installed in pairs at least. Ideally, they'd communicate to limit max draw for the location to 50kW (or whatever the site can handle). But even if you limited peak power of each to 25kW instead of 50kW so total power draw would never be higher than with a single fully capable QC, you'd typically only see a slight increase in charge times but you'd be much less likely to be completely unable to charge. Heck - install 3 with a peak rate of 17 kW and you're still way better off than not knowing if you'll be able to charge or not...

Well, the dual head Blink units already have a small advantage... one can physically break one of the Yazaki designed connectors, and the location can live on... assuming there are no other issues.

Back