San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Blink station at the Discover Center in Seattle is a dual head. only one side charges at a time and both sides seem to be able to operate if the other side is down.

grommet said:
Well, the dual head Blink units already have a small advantage... one can physically break one of the Yazaki designed connectors, and the location can live on... assuming there are no other issues.
That's about it, though. Unfortunately it's still basically a single software and the Blink software is so unreliable it seems that they spend more time non-functional rather than functional.

drees said:
grommet said:
Well, the dual head Blink units already have a small advantage... one can physically break one of the Yazaki designed connectors, and the location can live on... assuming there are no other issues.
That's about it, though. Unfortunately it's still basically a single software and the Blink software is so unreliable it seems that they spend more time non-functional rather than functional.
Well, we have had many reports here of one side being down and the other still usable, so the dual heads are definitely worth something. But in my case the emergency power cut had shut down the big locked box behind the two-headed pump, so both sides had the same message on Saturday.

I see the Blink map is reporting the San Ramon DC Fast Charger "in use" this afternoon, as usual. PlugShare says "unavailable", also as usual. Has anyone been by to see what the true status is? I guess I could make the 55 mile drive up there to check, but then ... Naw, I guess not.

Ray

Noticed the other day a "DOS CMD window" up on the big screen with "Program Files\RoninCast\Player\...." showing so did a Google and found this:
http://www.wirelessronin.com/page/1/ECOtality.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who gets to charge next? :
leafmo.jpg

I Quick Charged in Santa Rosa today. Thank you Santa Rosa Nissan. As an FYI, it is only open until 7pm Monday through Saturday and it closes at 6pm on Sunday. Plan your trip accordingly.

Seems the Blink QC touch screen pads have some firmware update that causes them to "auto-reboot" frequently.
I gather this is the "workaround" for the problem with the RFID card reader lock-ups. On the plus side, we don't need to call anyone to reset the devices anymore. On the negative, I am finding that they are frequently not ready to use and I have to wait for a reboot cycle, then re-calibrate the touch-screen before I can start a new charging session.

Argh... Stopped by and was denied a charge again.
The touch pads keep rebooting, and asking for screen calibrations, then just go to a non-operational state again. I saw all these screens over time:

blink1.jpg

blink2.jpg

blink4.jpg

blink5.jpg

Just yesterday (09/20/12) I was looking at the Blink app on my phone to check the status of the Blink DCQC in Belmont and I noticed a square box (i.e. DCQC) for the Intuit Menlo Park campus location. It showed L3 outlets at the campus, but not available. Today only the 5 L2 stations at Inuit are showing up. Is Intuit installing a Blink L3? I can't tell from the Blink map if they're public (although they do state $1/hr), and plugshare.com doesn't have any information at all.

grommet said:
Phoenix, you can always select 90% or 100% on the Blink (via "more options", it's somewhat hidden for whatever reason... no matter what your car's state is). Your car will stop at (LEAF) 80% if it's under (LEAF) 50%. If not, it'll get closer to 100%... slowly.

grommet,

i haven't been keeping up with the operational aspects of this Blink QC in Belmont so I am curious as to why you stated that "...Your car will stop at (LEAF) 80% if it's under (LEAF) 50%...." ? what causes this?

I recently asked a question here (sorry for x-post): http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=9680&start=24#p229222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is my 2nd time using a Blink QC. First time I charged to 80% so no surprises (at Bishop Ranch). For this 2nd time around, I decided to go 100% but didn't get there.

<cut>
I used the Blink QC up at VW ERL site (San Mateo SF Bay Area) on the weekend and I wasn't sure if this is normal operation. I had probably 1 bar before I plugged in.

I requested a 100% charge and here are my observations on the Blink QC:

" Your charge has completed. Pls return the plug to the charger to avoid extra charges.
End Battery charge: 89%
Charge Ended: 1 minute ago
Total Elapsed charge time: 00:30
Battery charge start: 12%
Battery charge target: 100%
"

On my Leaf dash:
I had only 9 bars (ie. 3 bars left to go to 100%)

What I am I missing here? It seems like there is a hard timer on the QC to stop charging at 30 mins.

If I needed 100% should I have just unplug and repeat the process?

Any info is most appreciated. Thanks.

<cut>

mxp,
From what I understand, the LEAF's onboard software tells the Blink when it has had enough of quick charging in order to protect the battery life. Therefore, even though you ask for 100% charge, LEAF tells Blink it will only accept whatever it deems healthy cuz it doesn't want batteries to overheat. You then need to use the Level 2 to top off if you absolutely need 100% to get to your next destination.

During the National Plugin event at Crissy Field on 9/23/2012, a Nissan representative announced while on the podium that Nissan will deploy 100 level 3 chargers in the bay area over the next two years starting in October 2012.

If they deploy half that many, I'll be happy.

+1 Time to double down on EV infrastructure and catch up with Tesla's network of superchargers. Which I just heard on NPR today may be free to Tesla owners to use.

Would anyone know if the San Ramon quick charger is functional today? Blink network says it's unavailable. I was hoping to use it tomorrow.

Edit: Used the left port today. Looks like the other side was working too. Blink site still says "unavailable" though.

sdittm1 said:
During the National Plugin event at Crissy Field on 9/23/2012, a Nissan representative announced while on the podium that Nissan will deploy 100 level 3 chargers in the bay area over the next two years starting in October 2012.

If they deploy half the many, I'll be happy.

I really want to get happy but I recall similar claims from the EV Project when I bought my LEAF a year ago. Seeing is believing.

And furthermore, I pray that they are rock solid because the moment they began to act link Blink units, no one will want to use them.

EricBayArea said:
sdittm1 said:
During the National Plugin event at Crissy Field on 9/23/2012, a Nissan representative announced while on the podium that Nissan will deploy 100 level 3 chargers in the bay area over the next two years starting in October 2012. If they deploy half the many, I'll be happy.
I really want to get happy but I recall similar claims from the EV Project when I bought my LEAF a year ago. Seeing is believing. And furthermore, I pray that they are rock solid because the moment they began to act like Blink units, no one will want to use them.
I'll go further than that. My current motto is, "Once burned, twice shy." I don't need QC except when making unusually long trips. The first trip that I tried to depend on one (at San Ramon), it burnt me. I'm staying away until there are at least two stations close enough to each other that I have backup if the first one is down, no matter what the reason or brand.

[Yup, I only gots this here one gas pump, an' somehow a thingamajig broke off. No, it's 50 mile t' the next station.]

Ray

Phoenix said:
mxp,
From what I understand, the LEAF's onboard software tells the Blink when it has had enough of quick charging in order to protect the battery life. Therefore, even though you ask for 100% charge, LEAF tells Blink it will only accept whatever it deems healthy cuz it doesn't want batteries to overheat. You then need to use the Level 2 to top off if you absolutely need 100% to get to your next destination.

Thanks for the explanation Phoenix! ;)

glemieux said:
Just yesterday (09/20/12) I was looking at the Blink app on my phone to check the status of the Blink DCQC in Belmont and I noticed a square box (i.e. DCQC) for the Intuit Menlo Park campus location. It showed L3 outlets at the campus, but not available. Today only the 5 L2 stations at Inuit are showing up. Is Intuit installing a Blink L3? I can't tell from the Blink map if they're public (although they do state $1/hr), and plugshare.com doesn't have any information at all.
Hi Glemieux,

This unit is in the process of being commissioned and should be online and on the map very shortly. :)

Blink said:
glemieux said:
Hi Glemieux,

This unit is in the process of being commissioned and should be online and on the map very shortly. :)

Will this QC at Intuit be a public accessible station?

mxp said:
Blink said:
glemieux said:
Hi Glemieux,

Will this QC at Intuit be a public accessible station?

Ditto what mxp said!

Looking forward to using this station if it will be public. Having DCQC at major freeway connections like the Blink near the 101 and the San Mateo Bridge are very convenient. This Intuit station will be on my way home to the East Bay from work and will work superbly if I miss out on a charge at work!

Noticed this DC charger is on the map now, so swung by Menlo Intuit campus today and DC charger was indeed up, functioning and gave me a 21 min charge. Very convenient location. Not 100% clear this is for public consumption, but there was no signage to indicate otherwise.

Now if we could only get a new fast charger that's further than 5 miles from my house that would be really nice.

Back