San Francisco to Santa Cruz. Salinas, Modesto, Monterey Etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone made the trip from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. That's my current question. I have a place lined up to charge for free. Just wanted to hear another person's experience. Is there a forum for local knowledge and trip experiences? Lawrence Rhodes...

Do you have the DC quick charge (CHAdeMO) port? Is the place a business, someone's home or some place w/a charging station? If I were you, I wouldn't depend on public charging to be necessarily working, esp. stations from Blink. You must have multiple backup plans and make sure you have enough range to reach them.

Do you have the optional 6.6 kW on-board charger? It might help to indicate your model year, trim level and equipment level in your signature.

Tony Williams drove his Leaf from Mexico to Canada (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=198034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and some Leafers drove his car back in the other direction (well, only to the San Diego area).

I have made this trip a few times. San Francisco to Capitola. I first tried it before there were any QC's in the area using one stop in Palo Alto to charge up for the climb over the summit then rolled into Capitola and charged there for 4 hours before making the return trip (needing another stop in Redwood City). Latest trips were with utilizing the QC's to make the trip a little faster. Definitely plan on stopping for extra electrons to get over the summit and into Santa Cruz.

I have driven from SC to SF on one charge going via the pass, 70 miles. All about driving habits. Driving from SF to SC on the coast is a piece of cake and SC has plenty of public charging.

Your biggest problem will be getting over the Santa Cruz mountains at around mile 60 if you take 101 -> 17. You have to climb from sea level to 1800 ft at the peak.

I would take PCH instead. It will be nearly flat in comparison and speed limits will be lower, though a few miles longer trip.

MaryC said:
I have made this trip a few times. San Francisco to Capitola. I first tried it before there were any QC's in the area using one stop in Palo Alto to charge up for the climb over the summit then rolled into Capitola and charged there for 4 hours before making the return trip (needing another stop in Redwood City). Latest trips were with utilizing the QC's to make the trip a little faster. Definitely plan on stopping for extra electrons to get over the summit and into Santa Cruz.

This sounds interesting and challenging! It would be really helpful if you could outline your route, charge locations and charge times. This could be a 'recipe' that is repeatable for anyone attempting to do this destination.

Thanks!

If you use 280 from San Francisco to Highway 17, there are plenty of public charging stations in the city of Campbell, where you may charge up before heading over the hill. I can go from San Jose to Aptos, south of Santa Cruz, and back on a single charge. Don't panic at the summit if you glance at the GOM.
Becky

mxp said:
MaryC said:

This sounds interesting and challenging! It would be really helpful if you could outline your route, charge locations and charge times. This could be a 'recipe' that is repeatable for anyone attempting to do this destination.

Thanks!

First few times I did this trip there were very few L2's around. I would go down 101 to Oregon Expway and head to the Creekside Inn on El Camino, which has 2 Chargepoints. Charged for an hour (walked up the street to McD's for breakfast) Took El Camino to Hwy 85 then to Hwy 17, up and over to Capitola. Charged until full (3-4hrs, Chargepoint) at a lot 2 blocks from the beach, back over the summit and to downtown Redwood City (lots to do to kill time)for a hour of charging then home.

Last few times I used the QC at Intuit in Menlo Park both ways. Also on the way back from Capitola I have been taking the backroads thru the Redwoods to come out on Hwy 17 farther up the hill. I don't remember the road name but I come out on Hwy 17 by the sign that points the way to the "St. Clare's Retreat". Pretty ride. Hope this gives you an idea on how to do it. Its a lot easier now because there are a lot more spots to stop for a charge up.

This is a perfectly achievable trip.

These days, there are plenty of QC charging opportunities between SF and San Jose/Los Gatos.

On the last leg of your trip from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz, I recommend driving to the summit on highway 17 at the 55 speed limit or less, and once at the summit, exiting highway 17 onto Summit Rd south to Old San Jose Rd. into Capitola then to Santa Cruz.

Old San Jose Rd is a rather steep downhill drive, and because of that you will recover about 85% of the energy expended getting up to the top of the Highway 17 Summit. In addition this is a lightly traveled road, so you can essentially regen all the way down without having to use the brakes, and still keep the speed limit.

Old San Jose Rd. is also very scenic, and is only marginally longer than driving down Highway 17.

When I drive this route, but the time I get to the Highway Summit, I am down to 5~6 bars, but by the time I get to Capitola, I am back to 10~11 bars.

This is a perfect example of where gravity is your friend.

Note that there are new fast chargers in the South Bay, in north Sunnyvale (near 237/101) and in Santa Clara (Bowers and Central Expressway). Now if we could just get one somewhere in Los Gatos and another one in Santa Cruz for those who need a little boost before heading over the hill. Stopping for L2 (when you have no other reason to stop) can be annoying but stopping for 5-10 minutes of fast charge is a nice option to have.

Not yet but am hoping to soon based on my success on my test drive yesterday:
I left Felton, CA with only 75% charge and made it over the summit to Apple in Cupertino,CA reaching 40% left at that time. From Cupertino with 40%, I then turned around all the way back into Santa Cruz, arriving to midtown with 11% charge left!... and that was roughly 70 miles RT using only 64% battery capacity.
Based on that performance I am more confident I can make an exact 100 mile trip (coasting in neutral as I reach 100? LOL! ;)
So even to SF which is only about 80 miles should be easy, and if so, I may even try to turn on the AC on the way back... but first need to know where the DC 30 min L3 stations are, as I need to return the same day.
Any one know good apps or mobile web sites that exclusively shows the L3 charge stations in the Bay Area? The app I have shows all stations but doesn't highlight the ones that are exclusivly L3, since those are the only ones that will work for me timewise, or even get me on a 200 mile journey north in a single day in the future.

You can but you'll be coasting in to Santa Cruz with maybe 1 bar. We did it from Brisbane which is 10 miles closer and with a passenger (extra weight).
If you have QC visit VW its off 101 exit Ralston and find 500 Clipper and top off with a quick charge or wait and do L2 for the extra insurance but you have to go in and ask them on the L2 to use.

So drive from San Francisco. Slowly. Have half your bars left by the time you reach the summit. Regen down Summit Road to Old San Jose Rd. Fast chargers were mentioned. Maybe I need a little more detail. Lawrence Rhodes........

lawrencerhodes said:
So drive from San Francisco. Slowly. Have half your bars left by the time you reach the summit. Regen down Summit Road to Old San Jose Rd. Fast chargers were mentioned. Maybe I need a little more detail. Lawrence Rhodes........
You didn't answer cwerdna's question. Do you have the Quick Charge port? That's the larger place to plug in that is immediately to the left of the one you normally use. If you just have a blank circle there then you can't use any Quick Charge stations. (And, no, you can't add the Quick Charge port later. Your car was either built with QC or not. Period.)

If you have a QC port, any of the charging station maps will show you where the DCQC stations are. I use PlugShare.

Ray

lawrencerhodes said:
We have quick charge but prefer not to use it.
The 3rd post specifically gives you an option using L2 only:
MaryC said:
I would go down 101 to Oregon Expway and head to the Creekside Inn on El Camino, which has 2 Chargepoints. Charged for an hour (walked up the street to McD's for breakfast) Took El Camino to Hwy 85 then to Hwy 17, up and over to Capitola. Charged until full (3-4hrs, Chargepoint) at a lot 2 blocks from the beach, back over the summit and to downtown Redwood City (lots to do to kill time)for a hour of charging then home.
So there you have it - you need at least an hour of L2 in each direction if you go over the summit. Pick your L2 station. If you're overly concerned, you might charge for longer.

If it helps more, here's the route Mary has taken - nothing special except for detours for charging: http://goo.gl/maps/yrd9W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW - what's the aversion to QC? 10 minutes of QC will get you about the same charge as 1 hour of L2 - a huge time saver and the majority of QC stations are still free in the Bay Area. If you're worried about battery life, using QC for short periods of time is the best way to minimize heat buildup in the battery pack.

I'm wondering if there is data on the use of QC? How many minutes without heat build up? Nissan warns of using it more than once a day for a full charge. I'm pretty confident if I go down 101 from San Francisco at 45mph in the slow lane with cruise control on I'd easily make it. The idea of cutting down to Capitola on Summit and old San Jose Rd. is perfect for me as I many times go to Aptos. But going the other way I'm not so sure. Wind against you, I return at night and I'm not sure I'd want to go up Old SJ rd. Lawrence Rhodes.....

One other thing is Charge point headquarters are at 85 & 17 freeways. I've been to Creekside and that's too close in my opinion and too far off the freeway. Also I don't seem to have a very good Quick charge map. Lawrence Rhodes....

Whichever route or charge method you use, remember have a plan plus a couple of backup plans as to where you are stopping to charge. A lot of times the EVSE are busy with other cars.(Nissan has sold alot of LEAFS in the Bay Area) That is why it is nice on a trip like this to be able to utilize the QC to get you down the road.

I just used Intuit's QC off San Antonio Rd. Saturday afternoon. No one was there but one family (with a new Leaf)that used the QC before us and were playing on Intuit's shop bicycles. The charge was free. We had 50% charge and it went to 80% in about 10 minutes. Didn't seem to move our pack temp meter. Lawrence Rhodes... http://www.recargo.com/sites/7996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back