Security+Plus plans for the Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
DarkStar said:
In my experience with electronics, if something is going to break, it will be within the first couple months of daily use (as long as it isn't mechanical). Personally, I think if something is really going to break on the LEAF, it will be well within the manufacturers warranty...

BTW, if 100+ year old motor technology and 50+ year old transistor technology isn't "proven" enough, I don't know what would be! :D
I'd agree except that a car is much harsher environment than your desktop. Vibration and temperature extremes will stress electronics. Hopefully less so in an EV, since there's no huge heat maker, but there IS a lot of new stuff in there. Anyway, I would need both a better understanding of what's covered and a greatly discounted price before I considered buying.
The components used in vehicle systems are automotive grade so they're tougher physically and electrically than consumer electronics parts.

The extended insurance policies that I've seen are provided by third parties - not by the dealer or corporate parent. They're a high-profit 'accessory'. These are private contracts between the insurer and the purchaser and are normally not covered by federal car dealer consumer protection laws. If it works for you - then great! But don't assume anything, and don't assume it's an 'official' Nissan product (unless this one actually is!). This is one time you'll want to read the fine print. ;)

AndyH said:
The extended insurance policies that I've seen are provided by third parties - not by the dealer or corporate parent. They're a high-profit 'accessory'. These are private contracts between the insurer and the purchaser and are normally not covered by federal car dealer consumer protection laws. If it works for you - then great! But don't assume anything, and don't assume it's an 'official' Nissan product (unless this one actually is!). This is one time you'll want to read the fine print. ;)
This one is the Nissan corporate one:
http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.com/warranty/nissan_security_plus.html

I still would want a clear understanding of what's covered.

AndyH said:
nissan1 said:
I highly recommend <SNIP>

Really? We don't make any money in the sales department so we have to hook you with the overpriced insurance policy that we know you'll not have to use?

Way to sell, though. "That's right, mister - we stand behind our car of the future. Sure even though we've been doing this for 17 years it's unproven and things could start breaking at the earliest moment so you better buy this policy, and tie one of those tarps across the back to catch all the parts that fall off, ok? Sign here."

Sorry...not only 'no' but...

First of all, I am not trying to sell you or anybody anything....I just happen to be a retired Service Advisor...and a Leaf Enthusiast...but also a realist. The only way I would decline a Service Contract ... is if I was leasing it. You are welcome to decide what is best for you. I am just giving my personal opinion based on years of knowledge and experience. My leaf is due to arrive in April....and I will be purchasing the service contract. I've spent 30+ years in a service drive ... and I think if you would have done the same...you would have a different perception. Keep in mind many people look to these forums for advice. I just hope you are offering them your opinion based on being well-educated with solid information...and not based on your personal distaste for the car buying process.

nissan1 said:
First of all, I am not trying to sell you or anybody anything....I just happen to be a retired Service Advisor...and a Leaf Enthusiast...but also a realist. The only way I would decline a Service Contract ... is if I was leasing it. You are welcome to decide what is best for you. I am just giving my personal opinion based on years of knowledge and experience. My leaf is due to arrive in April....and I will be purchasing the service contract. I've spent 30+ years in a service drive ... and I think if you would have done the same...you would have a different perception. Keep in mind many people look to these forums for advice. I just hope you are offering them your opinion based on being well-educated with solid information...and not based on your personal distaste for the car buying process.
Actually, I'm not bashing the car buying process at all. And I'm not bashing dealers or service folks.

But because I do most of my own work, have worked with dealers, and have dealers in my current customer base ;) I have some idea of things that happen. So no - I do not want an extended warranty plan, I do not want my air filters changed 1/4 of the way thru their design life because they 'look dirty', and I'd appreciate it if we could fix the problem with some analysis rather than just swapping black boxes at $200 a pop until the error light goes out. :lol:

And yes - you came in very strongly with a hard sales pitch on post one. :)

Welcome! Enjoy your Leaf!

nissan1 said:
First of all, I am not trying to sell you or anybody anything....I just happen to be a retired Service Advisor...and a Leaf Enthusiast...but also a realist. .

Nissan1, since you are retired and hopefully you have no ulterior motives to sell us a policy, please check out the Nissan one and let us know of any potential pitfalls, whats not covered?.. you must have seen all the possible ways of weaseling out of an extended warranty after 30 years in the field. I hope you enjoy your Leaf.

AndyH said:
The extended insurance policies that I've seen are provided by third parties - not by the dealer or corporate parent. They're a high-profit 'accessory'. .. But don't assume anything, and don't assume it's an 'official' Nissan product (unless this one actually is!). This is one time you'll want to read the fine print. ;)

This one is supposed to be an official Nissan one, but probably covered by a 3rd party that specializes in that field. There are several 3rd party companies that are reputable, and have enough funds put away in escrow to cover any contingency.

In any case you can wait 3 years or 36k miles before purchasing this plan.

This website has good tips on what to look for:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

Nissan backed F&I Products and Services have registered trademark names. Security+Plus, Maintenance+Plus, QualityGuard+Plus, Dent Rescue, EquityGuard+Plus are all names of these services backed by Nissan. The term "Extended Warranty" is one that 'technically' can only be used to identify a manufacturer backed service. A warranty can only be offered by a manufacturer. Third parties offering the same plans must, legally, call them something else (like 'service plans'), but not warranties.

The advantage of a manufacturer backed extended warranty is that the manufacturer is keenly interested in selling you another vehicle down the road, and not just interested in minimizing repair cost during the duration of the term of the contract. Of course there are no absolutes in this business, but if you want the peace of mind you're paying for, you want to know who's backing the plan you're purchasing, and how they benefit from your satisfaction.

The only service plans available for the LEAF, that I know of, are the Nissan backed plans.

A trademarked name means Nissan owns the trademark but doesn't say anything about the product being sold.
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4003:r968le.2.1

There are dozens of companies offering extended warranty policies...
http://www.google.com/search?q=niss...=ivns&ei=EcCkTYfKCoTl0gGc2ZDuCA&start=10&sa=N

The Nissan extended warranty website, http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.com/ is owned and operated by One Common Drive, LLC - not by Nissan corporate or NNA.

I have not been able to find a reference to the company that provides the Nissan-branded extended contracts.

http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.com/warranty/extended_warranty_faq.html#125
What is the difference between a warranty, extended warranty and service contract?
As stated by the FTC. A service contract (Nissan Security+Plus) is a promise to perform (or pay for) certain repairs or services. Sometimes called an "Nissan Extended Warranty," a service contract is not a warranty as defined by federal law. A service contract may be arranged at any time and always costs extra; a warranty comes with a new car and is included in the original price.
The separate and additional cost distinguishes a service contract from a warranty.
[emphasis mine.]

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt155.shtm
A service contract is a promise to perform (or pay for) certain repairs or services. Although a service contract is sometimes called an extended warranty, it is not a warranty as defined by federal law. A service contract may be arranged any time and always costs extra; a warranty comes with a new car and is included in the original price. Used cars also may come with some type of coverage. The separate and additional cost distinguishes a service contract from a warranty

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut02.shtm
Some service providers have been known to make huge profits because the cost of their contracts far exceeds the cost of repairs or services they provide.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/buying-selling/cg-extended-warranty-tips2.htm

Signs of a good plan:

Corporate credit card to pay for services
Ability to choose dealership or independent repair shop
Warranty is transferable
Trip-interruption coverage
Free loaner car
BBB certified

Signs of a bad plan:

Out of pocket to cover repairs
Specific caps on repair costs
Large numbers of exclusions
Dealership pressure to purchase plan
Non-transferable
Com­pany lacking strong track record of customer satisfaction

hobbyguy said:
Ok, I did the Gold Preferred Plan, $1614 added to my cost. I just got the service agreement book from Nissan today, page 5, section 8 titled What Is Not covered:
8.1 Any component of an electrically powered vehicle, i.e., any vehicle whose propulsion is provided by an electric motor and / or power source, is not eligible for and is not covered by this agreement.
8.2 Paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, weatherstripping, convertible top material, moldings, bright metal, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing, any and all in-vehicle communication systems, airbag sensors......... rattles ,water leaks, wind noise, immobilizer key, and remote key less entry and the list goes on and on.
So according to line 8.1 this whole thing is for not.
Says you can cancel within 60 days if you have not filed a claim. I think I am going to call
first thing Monday. Also going to call the dealer to find out why they sold me a agreement
that is not good with "any component of a electrically powered vehicle"
What do you guys think, anyone else buy this and recently get the paperwork?
The way I read it, I can get a refund within 60 days, and if I did keep it and try to go to a dealer, I would thing this extended thing would not qualify, but a normal warranty that came with the car would, confused

Nissan Sent you the wrong booklet. There is an updated version specific to the LEAF. Here's a Link: http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/LEAF Agreement.pdf

I just got a letter from my dealer:

"In reviewing your purchase with us, we found that you didn't take advantage of one of our Nissan Security+Plus extended service contract programs. {SNIP}
Today is your lucky day! You were chosen out of our database of customer to receive a 24 months/40.000 mile Gold preferred service contract membership at no charge to you. That's right: no charge, our dealership has purchased this policy on you behalf. There are no strings attached and you don't have to buy anything or even come into the dealership. You'll be receiving your membership booklet from Nissan in the mail within 4-6 weeks."

Normally if something sounds to good to be true, it is.
More people "experienced" this ?

Danny

fromport said:

Danny
I guess someone at the dealership took a look at the maintenance schedule and figured out that the first two years will cost them almost nothing. Expect a very hard sell to extend the contract if/when you try to take advantage of this.

fromport said:
I just got a letter from my dealer:

"In reviewing your purchase with us, we didn't found that you didn't take advantage of one of our Nissan Security+Plus extended service contract programs. {SNIP}
Today is your lucky day! You were chosen out of our database of customer to receive a 24 months/40.000 mile Gold preferred service contract membership at no charge to you. That's right: no charge, our dealership has purchased this policy on you behalf. There are no strings attached and you don't have to buy anything or even come into the dealership. You'll be receiving your membership booklet from Nissan in the mail within 4-6 weeks."

Danny

The way they "butchered" the English language, maybe this offer is from Nigeria?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

derkraut said:
The way they "butchered" the English language, maybe this offer is from Nigeria?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe it's my typing skills with lack of coffee ;-)

We bought our Leaf about 3 weeks ago and I'm still deciding if we want the extended warranty. Part of me wants to get it at the low Nissan of Santa Rosa rates because it is (a) new technology and (b) all electrical technology which is expensive to diagnose and fix. We were thinking about the 6yr/75k mile warranty. However, in reading Page 7 of the Leaf Warranty booklet says...

FOR HOW LONG AND WHAT IS COVERED
ELECTRIC VEHICLE (EV) SYSTEM COVERAGE
-The EV System coverage period is 60 months or 60,000 miles
-Motor, Inverter unit, VCM, Reduction gear, DC/DC converter, Onboard charger, Onboard charger connector, and Trickle charge cable.

That's basically the entire EV system itself, covered for 6yrs/60k miles. In addition, the powertrain warranty (6rs/60k miles) covers things like drive shafts, seals, gaskets, and things like that. So in essence, the extended warranty up to 60 months is only to cover things like the AC, Heater, Nav, and other power accessories?

I'm willing to drop the coin if it covers substantial things, but with now reading about the 6yr/60k mile EV coverage, maybe I'm missing something vital here on what the extended warranty is good for. Thoughts?

EricBayArea said:
That's basically the entire EV system itself, covered for 6yrs/60k miles. In addition, the powertrain warranty (6rs/60k miles) covers things like drive shafts, seals, gaskets, and things like that. So in essence, the extended warranty up to 60 months is only to cover things like the AC, Heater, Nav, and other power accessories?

You may want the 96 month package then.. in any case you also have the special regen braking system, the electric AC compressor and the special heating system used in the Leaf besides the drivetrain components.. and dont forget about the glorious Clarion radio/NAV unit.

Back