Should I forget about LAX now that AB 475 passed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrRocket

If I'm lucky to actually find a spot next to a charger and someone disconnects me, I might get towed.If I disconnect someone else, they might get towed. What to do, maybe just drive the ICE, it is what Gummint Motors and our Brown shirt governor seem to want.

DrRocket said:
If I'm lucky to actually find a spot next to a charger and someone disconnects me, I might get towed.If I disconnect someone else, they might get towed. What to do, maybe just drive the ICE, it is what Gummint Motors and our Brown shirt governor seem to want.

If you don't need to charge, I wouldn't worry about the charging aspect of things. Remember, you can park ANYWHERE in Lots 1 and 6 (and, by virtue of the physical connection between the two, Lot 5 as well) other than the EV parking spaces and still get the free parking benefit.

I am not worried about AB475 as much as I have a 48 mile drive each way. Free parking is nice but I think I will need a charge someplace. While parked at the airport for a week would be best. Last thing I want to do is find a charging spot on the way home.

smkettner said:
I am not worried about AB475 as much as I have a 48 mile drive each way. Free parking is nice but I think I will need a charge someplace. While parked at the airport for a week would be best. Last thing I want to do is find a charging spot on the way home.

Remember too that there are also a minimal number of 120v outlets dotted around the parking garages (generally by the eleavators). The biggest problem at LAX is there is just not enough of ANYTHING right now (except empty parking spaces ;) ).

mwalsh said:
If you don't need to charge, I wouldn't worry about the charging aspect of things. Remember, you can park ANYWHERE in Lots 1 and 6 (and, by virtue of the physical connection between the two, Lot 5 as well) other than the EV parking spaces and still get the free parking benefit.

Per this page free parking is only for those who actually charge:

Free parking is available for electric vehicles only at charging stations located in the lower/arrivals level of Parking Structures 1 and 6 for up to a maximum of 30 days per visit.

Apparently you mean they don't enforce the requirement that you park in one of the stalls?

And they don't require stickers to avail ones self of free parking (with our without charging), is that correct? I seem to recall a thread where they did. But perhaps now that the stickers are no longer meaningful, they've dropped that as well. Assuming they are aware of the change, or course!

lonndoggie said:
Per this page free parking is only for those who actually charge:

Don't worry about that...the parking attendants don't know where you park in the lot. Trust me, if it were a problem we'd have heard about it by now - you can routinely 6-8 EVs that were not able to use the dedicated EV parking spots every day at LAX.

Right you are Mike. The parking attendants do not check where the car is parked. Most of the EVs are around the chargers anyways.

DrRocket, here's the scenario.
EV connected to the charger.
No blinking lights. No message on the dashboard or windshield. = It is assumed you already got a full charge.
And sometimes we have somebody that disregards lights and messages. This is not the norm though.

This works very well for those of us who use those chargers on a regular basis.

Leave a note when you will have enough charge for your trip, so others may use the charger.

Include the information when you will be back, and for somebody to plug you back in before your return. I have done it once to somebody who left such information.

Having the car plugged for days, so you can activate the charging when you are returning is not a very good use of the chargers. This was the case of MYZEV, he or she wanted her Leaf connected to the charger for the 10+ days he or she was traveling.

There is a meeting coming up to discuss EV issues with LAX. I'm hoping that the free parking gets traded for more charging capabilities. 16 EV's in lot one the other day, so LAX is missing out on ~$400 a day for parking that could be redirected to charging infrastructure. This number will continue to increase as more EVs are delivered. The sooner it changes the better.

giving up the free parking is a BAD idea.
that is way better than EVSE for pay.
you are away for days. a 110 works fine, unless you are worried about theft.

The real solution would be to continue FREE parking for EVs but have a pay-to-charge program at the EVSE.

That would make everyone happy--those who live within 90 miles and those who need a charge to get home.

KeiJidosha said:
There is a meeting coming up to discuss EV issues with LAX. I'm hoping that the free parking gets traded for more charging capabilities.
I can practically guarantee that without free parking, there will be no NEED for more charging capabilities, or even the ones that are there. Better that EVSEs be put in long-term lots (private or otherwise) where people can actually afford to park.

KeiJidosha said:
I'm hoping that the free parking gets traded for more charging capabilities.
No way. Keep free parking and ADD MORE charging capabilities. Free parking at LAX is a big reason for me to take the trouble to hypermile all the way there.

thankyouOB said:
giving up the free parking is a BAD idea.
The real solution would be to continue FREE parking for EVs but have a pay-to-charge program at the EVSE.

I agree:
- Continue FREE parking for EVs
- Add MANY MORE ChargePoint chargers (especially L1 since most cars are parked for a long time) and set them to pay-to-charge
- Make the exit process more efficient

Back