single blinking charge light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGT02

Hi all,

A couple times now I've noticed the charge light closest to the driver's side has been blinking on its own towards the end of the charging process, usually between 70-75%. Normally I would expect to see the other two lights illuminated, but they're out and it's apparent charging has stopped. I tried plugging the EVSE back in but the Leaf just beeps and no lights illuminate. Unplugging the EVSE or resetting the breaker gets it going again. Could it be an EVSE issue? I'm using a Juicebox 50 amp model on a 40 amp breaker.

Do you have an owner's manual for your LEAF? You don't say which model year your car is, although I don't remember there being any changes in the various display modes for the three blue "charging" LEDs. Section CH-27 of my LEAF's manual says:
2012 LEAF Owner's Manual said:
The indicator light *3 flashes when the 12-volt
battery is being charged. See“Charging the 12-
volt battery” in the “Overview” section.
The indicator will also flash for up to 5 minutes if
the electrical power to the EVSE is interrupted
during charging. Charging will restart automatically
when the electrical power to the EVSE is
restored if the charging connector is connected.
The charge start beep will not sound when
charging restarts.
, where the indicator light being referred to is the one on the right as seen looking towards the front of the car from the outside.

Your wording about "plugging the EVSE back in" is a little vague. I hope you don't mean that you're connecting and disconnecting the EVSE from the power mains (grid) while leaving its J1772 connector still plugged into the LEAF; that's asking for trouble, I think.

I agree, It sounds like the starter 12 volt battery is low. Off that it would happen while charging since it should power the 12 v on a DC-DC unit while charging and or running. Maybe take it to the dealer since it should be covered on the warranty and you could have a bad DC-DC converter. You can check the 12 v battery with a simple multi meter. See if it's low or different when the car is on , off and while charging.

The issue continues to happen, right around 60 - 75% charged. When unplugging the EVSE from the wall, it's disconnected from the car. This "reset" continues to work. I''m not having the problem at work with a Chargepoint EVSE. I thought it might have been related to the EVSE overheating since the days it's happened have been around 90 degrees and the cable was sitting in the sun, but it just happened on a 70 degree overcast day as well. EVSE is a JuiceBox model.

Given that the LEAF can have some very strange things happen when the 12V battery is low, consider having your 12V battery tested under load. You may also use a 12V battery reconditioner (charger) and watch the meter on it to see the health of the battery.

I'm going to take it to the dealer soon for a tire rotation - will have them check out the 12v battery.

Back