Skip the 220 Charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaftera

Does anyone know if Nissan will deliver my Leaf if I don't have and don't want the 220V charger? When the Aerovironment guy came out to my house he confirmed that the car will come with a 110V convenience charger. Since I drive only 15 miles a day the 110V charger will easily top off my battery every night night and save me the cost of installing and purchasing the 220V charger.

I currently drive a converted plug-in Prius with a 20 mile all-electric range and for the last year that range has been more than enough. It seems like Nissan is putting a high priority on us having a 220V charger installed before delivery of the car. What if I don't want one?

I'm leaning the same way... the Leaf will not be my daily driver so a $2000 charger seems like overkill to me. I thought someone posted a webchat earlier with Nissan where they were told the charger is not required to take delivery of the car, but I'm not sure.

Why would you buy a high priced car if you only drive 10 miles a day. The car price is only off set if you drive a lot of miles in the 30 to 50 or more miles a day?

We believe that the "official" Nissan word is that the "optional" 240v EVSE (about $2200 or more) from AV is NOT required for a LEAF purchase.

Could the lack of AV's EVSE delay being "offered" a car?
Possibly, but ... we hope not.

I have not signed up for the $100 AV "evaluation", and we will see what happens to me. Basically, I am waiting for more information, prices, and better options.

Leaftera said:
Does anyone know if Nissan will deliver my Leaf if I don't have and don't want the 220V charger?

This has been discussed at leangth here - look into the threads that talk about EVSE.

i never even scheduled a 220 volt inspection and since i am renting, there is no reason for me to install a charger anyway.

so Nissan can "require" that only homeowners be allowed to buy a Leaf, or not require it and let people who choose to use only 110 volt charging. i think they will opt for the latter

Gonewild said:
Why would you buy a high priced car if you only drive 10 miles a day. The car price is only off set if you drive a lot of miles in the 30 to 50 or more miles a day?
Frankly, I doubt if anyone can justify buying a Leaf on a purely financial basis. If you just want to save as much money as possible on transportation,then walk, ride a bicycle, take a bus, or buy an old beater for a few hundred dollars.

I expect to drive fewer than 30 miles per day, so I don't really need a 240v charging port. But I plan to get my hands on a Leaf if I can, because for me it is all about using less gasoline.

[30 miles per day is a fairly useful marker, since it means no more than half the battery capacity, even figured conservatively. That in turn means no more than 8-10 hours recharge time at 120v. True, those are averages, and some nights you might not have time to recharge completely, but you've got an extra 50% buffer in the battery so you don't have to charge completely every night.]

I'm in the same boat. I actually posted about this months ago. I drive about 12 miles a day and I don't see the need for the 220V charger either. As for the person who questioned the motives of somebody driving so little wanting a leaf - Why would you assume the only possible reason for owning such a car could be the intent to save money? My intent is to show that I care about this world by setting an example, also because I love high-tech gadgets and the Leaf will definitely be a cool, fun car to drive. Besides, I may on the weekends take trips longer than 12 miles but even if I run the car dry, I'm sure an overnight charge would still be enough to get me to work and back the next morning since I only need to go 12 miles.

Back