smart switch recommendations...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gozer

Leaf Supporting Member
I am the owner of an old house that has a maxed out breaker box and I'd like (need) to hook up an evse to my dryer outlet. Its the 3 prong type of outlet. What I want is a 'smart switch' that will let me charge at night, then when the dryer is needed it will automaticlly switch over and power the dryer with no input from my wife/ daughter. Has anyone had experience doing this? recommendations? Thnks.

May be time to assess what you have vs what you need. If the service is maxed out with the loads you have, that is one thing, but if you have no more breaker spaces, it is often easy and cheap to add a sub panel and install more breakers in the sub panel.
Old driers plugs are 10-30 120/240 with no dedicated ground. Not the best for charging a car.
If it were I, I'd be looking for a permanent solution and not trying to "get by". Sooner or later that will bite ya. The automatic part is going to be the trouble.

Back