So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my LEAF about 40 days, now. All of my driving so far has been in town (35 - 55 mph), in ECO mode, with heat/air off. I always charge to 80% charge.

Range (till battery low) indicated: 75 mi.
Range (till battery low) actual: 60 mi.
Range (till turtle): don't know
Efficiency: miles/Kwh from Dash Display: 4 mi./Kwh (unlikely - that would mean 77 mi. from an 80% charge. I only see 60 mi.)
Driving: City.
Climate Control: typically off

These data show that the GOM is pretty inaccurate. It is not unusual for my GOM to show 16 mi. of remaining range, but have that drop to 10 mi. of remaining range within driving 2 miles. This is with careful driving, in ECO Mode, with Climate Control off.

iamchemist said:
These data show that the GOM is pretty inaccurate. It is not unusual for my GOM to show 16 mi. of remaining range, but have that drop to 10 mi. of remaining range within driving 2 miles. This is with careful driving, in ECO Mode, with Climate Control off.

Yes, it's been firmly established that the meter is not accurate. The latest firmware update, in part, attempts to address that.

I cover mine, because I'd prefer no data to bad data. There are some here, however, who use it with some degree of reported success.

My range? 13,000 miles in less than a year with no stops along the way for gasoline, oil, or anything else other than tire rotation and a software upgrade.

People love asking me this question all the time. My easy answer - driving like regular ice with comfortable climate control on mostly freeways I get 80-90 in normal conditions. Worst case pulls 70 in extreme cold (for here in Texas). If I drive good, put it in ECO and watch my lessen my climate control I can get 90-100, 100+ if I get some city driving.

In response to those who say they have not topped 100 miles because their routes do not take them those distances in a single day, I say "huh"? My routes do not either. the issue is not how far you drive in a single trip or a single day, but on a single charge. My latest 100 mile-plus achievement took me 4 days, commuting 10 miles each way to work and then with various errands througout the week. I am not going to plug in the charger when I have several bars left unless I have a long trip planned for the next day.

2012-03-02225342.jpg

This 105 miles was mostly on city streets in Miami, with about 20 miles on I-95 at 55 mph or less (due to traffic), in temps of 73-78 with climate control only on for about 30 miles. Elevations are flat, but I do have a hard time finding parking in my garage at work below level 6, so that should could as a climb.

2012-03-02225426.jpg

Hello:

For those of you having the Leaf for 10 months or more, or those that have driven over 10K miles, has the battery capacity remained the same or decreased, if so by how much. In other words are you getting the same range as what you got when the vehicle was new ?

My experience with rechargeable batteries (such as iPhone, iPad) is that, they hold good initially but gradually over an year or so they charge quickly, but hold less charge.

I test drove one yesterday and seriously considering one..

thanks
Jay

mkjayakumar said:
For those of you having the Leaf for 10 months or more, or those that have driven over 10K miles, has the battery capacity remained the same or decreased, if so by how much. In other words are you getting the same range as what you got when the vehicle was new ?

I'm just approaching 20,000 miles (almost 30,000 km) in just over 10 months, and have no measurable battery capacity losses. I've also fully cycled the battery 17 times (that means all the way to turtle mode).

What I haven't done, which will have significant strain on the battery, is exposed it to very hot ambient conditions. The car will shut down at 122F/50C, which might be a big deal in Phoenix.

Also, I don't leave the car fully charged to 100% for long periods. High charge states and Hot will kill your battery.

Good luck with your new LEAF.

Thanks to Dave and Tony.

I do have a concern on the impact during summer here in Dallas. Though it doesn't go above 105F, closer to the ground near the asphalt I guess it typically gets much hotter.

Just went over 2500 miles today:

Starting SOC : 100%
Range 80 to 95 miles :
Range 109 the one time I did it :
Efficiency : 3.2 miles/Kwh (from the dash, not carwings)
Driving : City stop and go occasionally; local short runs; occasional long run on freeway at 65 to 80 mph
describe hwy/city/mixed/speeds here
Climate : Most days are in the 30's; some days in the 20's and some in the 50's warming up now. Not used a/c yet.

I plug in when I pull into my garage and she sits there all night on L2 until 0630 the next day. GOM usually says between "105 and 110" miles when I engage the start button; that quickly drops to about 99 to 101.

HTH, YMMV

Dave

mkjayakumar said:
Thanks to Dave and Tony.

I do have a concern on the impact during summer here in Dallas. Though it doesn't go above 105F, closer to the ground near the asphalt I guess it typically gets much hotter.

You'll be just fine with that.

TonyWilliams said:
The car will shut down at 122F/50C, which might be a big deal in Phoenix.

Please don't let Tony scare you. He's being a bit overly dramatic. It's no big deal here in Phoenix at all nor would it be in Dallas. Just drive your LEAF without worry and enjoy it. Your battery pack will never reach 122 degrees or even close to it. We had 118 degrees last summer and the battery pack only reached seven bars (left in the sun for 3 hours). It would have to go into the top red bar to reach 122 degrees. The testers (ECOtality techs) here made it shut down but they QCd it more than 6 times in a day in the hottest of conditions. That's about the only way the battery pack will reach those temps unless you were to cook it in a 150 degree 'car oven'. :lol:

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
The car will shut down at 122F/50C, which might be a big deal in Phoenix.

Please don't let Tony scare you. He's being a bit over dramatic. It's no big deal here in Phoenix at all nor would it be in Dallas. Just drive your LEAF without worry and enjoy it. Your battery pack will never reach 122 degrees or even close to it. We had 118 degrees last summer and the battery pack only reached seven bars (left in the sun for 3 hours). It would have to go into the top red bar to reach 122 degrees. The testers (ECOtality techs) here made it shut down but they QCd it more than 6 times in a day in the hottest of conditions. That's about the only way the battery pack will reach those temps unless you were to cook it in a 150 degree 'car oven'. :lol:

The shut down temperature is a programmed fact; not a scare. Secondly, inferring that the battery temperature gauge is linear is misleading. The top battery temperature bars are in single digits values, and the center bars cover dozens of degrees per bar.

But, like I said, shouldn't be a problem in Texas.

LEAF Batt Temp
Segments Degrees C (F). Temp difference
12----------60---------(140).........4.5F
11----------57.5-------(135.5)......4.5F
10----------55---------(131).........4.5F
9-----------52.5-------(126.5)......4.5F
8-----------50---------(122)........23.8F
7-----------36.8-------(98.2)......23.9F
6-----------23.5-------(74.3)......23.9F
5-----------10.3-------(50.5)......23.9F
4----------/ -3---------(26.6).......5.4F
3----------/ -6---------(21.2).......5.4F
2----------/ -9---------(15.8).......5.4F
1----------/-12--------(10.4).......5.4F
0----------/ -15---------(5).........5.4F

mkjayakumar said:
Thanks to Dave and Tony.

several members here in AZ report the usual. car too hot to touch, but batteries never getting over 7 bars i think is highest i remember being reported here.

i doubt if you will have much issues. as always, do shade if you can but only to keep from burning your buns!

The gentleman - Tony - who drove 20k miles in a year perhaps recouped the premium he paid for an EV over an ICE assuming he got the full $7.5K tax credit.

With 25 mpg, at $3.75 per gallon he would have paid: 20,000/25*3.75= $3000. He probably saved $2300 driving the leaf plus another $300 on maintainence. That is $2600 savings in the first year.

For people who have short commutes and have a 2nd car, owning a Leaf is a no brainer !!!

In fact I can't think of any other alternate energy solutions - Solar, Wind - that comes close to this.

My ninth 100-plus mile charge today gives me a total of 1,006 miles--out of my first 2,445 miles driven--achieved on single charges of more than 100 miles. In other words, for 41% of the miles I have driven, I attained more than 100 miles per charge.

Average Carwings m/kWh was 5.2 for Jan., Feb., and March to date. At $.117/kWh (taxes included) and at 85% charging efficiency, my 2,445 miles used 553 kWh costing $64.70. At $3.85 per gallon, I could have bought 16.8 gals for $64.70. Thus, I am getting 145.5 mpg equivalent.

After being owner during a few months, do you think the capacity of your leaf has decreased?

i have just under 14,000 miles. today i drove 81.1 miles to just past LB. 56 miles was freeway at 60 mph. temps in low 40's. defrost enough to clear the windows. it was raining VERY hard at times. so getting out of the car and getting back in wet meant defrost was needed frequently.

i parked it with 35 GID. could have done another 10 miles easy. that would make over 90 miles during wintery weather. i dont know if i had that much range last winter but due to not having the ability to get a truer measure of remaining pack capacity i just assumed i was low.

but 90 miles in Winter is as good as 110 miles in Summer.

Back