So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly it's pretty hard to tell exactly. Guessometer puts me at 107 with a full charge. The majority of my trips don't really take me out of town really. That being said for longer trips i went about 48 miles going 55 on generally flat roads having left with 62% and a car full of kids and luggage running the A/C in June and got there with 6% and dashes.

A trip to my buddy's house is 38 miles with mostly 55 zones and lots of hills and a bit of 30-45 getting out of town and I got there no problem having left with 80% and got there in the low 20% range. Had to L1 so i could make it to a QC to get home and got back with 67% since it was more downhill.

I've got 10 bars on a 30kwh and i have a feeling I'm one of the few guys whose battery is degrading exactly as planned for the warranty, but i don't do the leafspy thing.

If all i did was drive around town I'd guess probably 95 miles with the Regen braking factored in.

1 month old 2022 SL+ @ 2250 miles on odo. Had a nice 204 mile round trip yesterday with couple hours wait before return (batteries cooled down). Averaged 4 miles / kWh with ProPilot driving for the most part set at 65 mph.

Leg 1 - Home to Destination - Start @ 11:20am - no headlights
Drove 102.5 miles -
SOC - arrived with 53% remaining shown on dashboard with 57.5% shown on LeafSpyPro
LIght A/C use

Leg2 - Destination back to Home - Start @ 4:40pm - headlights kicked in approx 30 minutes into drive
Drove 101..5 miles
SOC - arrived with 4% remaining shown on dashboard with 12.8% shown on LeafSpyPro
no A/c or heating used

Really enjoyable pleasant drive. Last time I did this trip I did a QC to alleviate anxiety but this time the numbers were looking good and I had more experience with the car to trust it and push on.

All in all, my car having a EPA range of 215 miles truly delivered within spec in my humble opinion. Very pleased overall.

I have a screenshot from LS battery balancing page before trip start but unfortunately I seem to have missed snapping the other pages. I will have to check the kWh usable in the pack next time I charge to 100%. I think I will do a full discharge cycle sometime this month so I should be able to record all the info. Will revert

This Norway writes reports their Leaf Plus rental range at 260 miles. I am sure that is just the GOM on a lightly used Plus, but have heard a few other Eav reviewers talking about how th Leaf is really a 250 mile EV.

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/driving-an-electric-car/

Separately, a 2013 Leaf pulled up next to me this week at a public charger. 50K miles and 86% SoC...full bars! The owner told me he has been religious about keeping the car between 80% and 20%. I wonder how many 2013s still have full bars?

Took our 2021 SV + on first road trip from Carrollton to Austin. Used ProPilot most of the way, maintaining speed limit on I35. Stopped in Waco @ 20%. Charged to 95% (35 minutes at only 1 Chademo there). Maintaining highway speed really makes the GOM a joke. It would take at least a 100kw battery pack to make 220 miles a reality. I really want to go all ev, but this trip has me wondering if I should shelve my Ford Lightning order and keep my Gladiator for road trips and relegate the Leaf for local use only. Wife and I are retired and I kept the VW I bought with separation money from the Navy in 74, so the Jeep gets very little use, especially with Covid (also have a BMW F650GS and XT225). 3.8 in town 2.0 on I 35. Nissan needs to spend more on battery technology like Musk does.

Took our 2021 SV + on first road trip from Carrollton to Austin. Used ProPilot most of the way, maintaining speed limit on I35. Stopped in Waco @ 20%. Charged to 95% (35 minutes at only 1 Chademo there). Maintaining highway speed really makes the GOM a joke. It would take at least a 100kw battery pack to make 220 miles a reality. I really want to go all ev, but this trip has me wondering if I should shelve my Ford Lightning order and keep my Gladiator for road trips and relegate the Leaf for local use only. Wife and I are retired and I kept the VW I bought with separation money from the Navy in 74, so the Jeep gets very little use, especially with Covid (also have a BMW F650GS and XT225). 3.8 in town 2.0 on I 35. Nissan needs to spend more on battery technology like Musk does.

Being that you had a +4000 feet climb and traveling at 75 MPH, you can't deny physics. ;)

donaldus said:

Agreed. If range is really important (say you do a lot of long distance traveling), then a bunch of little things can add up to more range. It's been covered quite a bit here by now.

brycenesbitt said:
I get between 2 and 2.5 miles per kWH in mixed city driving, with a 2009 six bar original battery Leaf.

Sounds like you and others typically drive too fast. I typically get 5.1 to 5.3 combined city and freeway (rarely over 60 MPH). As stated many times on MNL,
comparative efficiency is meaningless without fully stating the driving conditions, i.e. vehicle speed, terrain, weather, A/C use, tire pressures, & etc.
As a result, this thread provides meaningless Leaf comparative efficiency info.

brycenesbitt said:
I get between 2 and 2.5 miles per kWH in mixed city driving, with a 2009 six bar original battery Leaf.

The one easy step you can take, to raise that number significantly, is to run the tires at 40-42psi, or 90% of the maximum pressure posted on the sidewalls.

lorenfb said:
brycenesbitt said:

Sounds like you and others typically drive too fast. I typically get 5.1 to 5.3 combined city and freeway (rarely over 60 MPH). As stated many times on MNL,
comparative efficiency is meaningless without fully stating the driving conditions, i.e. vehicle speed, terrain, weather, A/C use, tire pressures, & etc.

HAHA that is me, I live in Massachusetts and if your not going 80 in a 65 your are pissing off a lot of folks, so my average before this car is honestly 80-85mph. I found with mostly highway I was getting 2.8 miles / kWh but with cruise set to 65mph I'm seeing around 3.5+

skateguy50 said:
lorenfb said:
brycenesbitt said:

HAHA that is me, I live in Massachusetts and if your not going 80 in a 65 your are pissing off a lot of folks, so my average before this car is honestly 80-85mph. I found with mostly highway I was getting 2.8 miles / kWh but with cruise set to 65mph I'm seeing around 3.5+

Think of a lower miles/kWh in a positive perspective; for a minimum of the equivalent of two gallons of gasoline energy (~ 60 kWh as for a Leaf+), you've a range not achievable with most all ICEVs.

DougWantsALeaf said:
At 80mph, my last ICE was well under 15 mpg. At 2.X miles/kWh your are doing significantly better than then the ICES flying around you.

My wife's previous Volkswagen that got 31 mpg normally only saw 20 mpg @ 80 mph on a flat stretch of highway. I don't think people understand that when they find out that the EV gets less mileage at high speed, that the same thing happens to the ICE, they just have no idea because when they saw the window sticker, they figured the "highway" mileage was universal for all speeds. :lol:

When my wife would make a +300 mile trip to visit relatives in another state, she always complained that it took more than a full tank of gas. Since the full tank was 14 gallons, she just did the metal math of (31 x 14=) 434 miles and figured a full tank would be enough. She would always have to fill up before reaching her relatives because she was driving +80 mph the whole way (over some mountain areas too, double bonus). Because of the long drive, the "gas break" would stretch out to a bathroom break plus a food break.

When I drove the family to the same place in the Leaf Plus, I was driving, so I just followed the speed limit (which varies from 60 to 70 mph by state and road areas), didn't worry about blowing away everyone in the fast lane. The first stop along the way was to visit a QC (about 190 miles into the trip) in a major city that happened to be next to a shopping center, restaurants, etc. Only needed enough power to finish up the remaining 110 miles of the trip, which happened to be about the same amount of time that we used on bathroom breaks and eating before heading out on the road again. The trip ended up taking the same amount of time as it did in the ICE. My wife hated the smug look I had when arrived at her Grandmother's house at nearly the same identical time as previous years for the same trip. :mrgreen:

brycenesbitt said:

Your pack is less efficient due to degradation along with a less efficient motor. In summer, I hit the high 4's at 65+ mph in my plus; something I couldn't even dream of in my 2011.

DougWantsALeaf said:
At 80mph, my last ICE was well under 15 mpg. At 2.X miles/kWh your are doing significantly better than then the ICES flying around you.

What were you doing wrong? My Q5 gets 32-34 mpg at 80 mph. Routinely. Not a small vehicle either, well, not tiny anyway. And no, I don't drive it like a baby carriage.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, unless you're referencing all the giant-sized rounded off bricks that people so covet...aka "full-sized" pickups and the like.

Edit: Very high speeds definitely matter - but 15 mpg isn't a given at 80mph. It depends on the vehicle. Yes, my Q is set up to cruise at very high speeds. Built for the autobahn. Most cars sold here aren't.

Back