So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
The problem is that there is almost no where else in the U.S. that is as flat or warm as Florida so reproducing that mileage elsewhere on a regular basis is going to be problematic.

We also enjoy extra helpings of high humidity, lowering the air density even further.

Got my leaf SL yesterday,and I drove it hard, love the low end torque compared to my previous car a 4 cyl toyota celica :D . Picked it up from the dealership with a full charge, sat down with the sales guy with the ac on for about 20 minutes while he explained the cars features, range went from 105 to 99, I drove it for 54 miles and it was showing another 50 left. Very Impressed. Car wings tells me Im doing 3.7 Miles / KW. Today I was at a red light next to a cheesy fast furious ricer honda civic, he had a loud exhaust and was waiting for the light to turn green revving his engine, we both took off and I left him sooo behind, his car sounded like it was trying really hard to catch up at high RPMs. :lol:

. drove it for 54 miles and it was showing another 50 left. Very Impressed. Car wings tells me Im doing 3.7 Miles / KW.

Something doesn't seem right here. With 3.7 miles/kWh efficiency i don't believe one can get 54+50=104 miles range. More like 75 miles I would think.

mkjayakumar said:
. drove it for 54 miles and it was showing another 50 left. Very Impressed. Car wings tells me Im doing 3.7 Miles / KW.

Something doesn't seem right here. With 3.7 miles/kWh efficiency i don't believe one can get 54+50=104 miles range. More like 75 miles I would think.

Like always, making sense out of GuessOmeter data is like a dog chasing his own tail. Pointless.

Of course the car will not physically drive 104 miles at 3.7.

Well Tony, agreed that GoM is inaccurate quite a bit when you start full, but gets better as you drive. At 3.7 miles/kWh driving for 50 odd miles it would only show around 25 miles remaining, which is close enough.

It depends entirely on how consistent your driving conditions and driving are. In nice flat Florida, for example, at a constant speed, it will do a decent job...

mkjayakumar said:
Well Tony, agreed that GoM is inaccurate quite a bit when you start full, but gets better as you drive. At 3.5 miles/kWh driving for 50 odd miles it would show around 25 miles remaining, which is close enough.

mkjayakumar said:
Well Tony, agreed that GoM is inaccurate quite a bit when you start full, but gets better as you drive. At 3.7 miles/kWh driving for 50 odd miles it would only show around 25 miles remaining, which is close enough.

Yes, the old "less inaccurate" argument! Your example would not apply to me, since I don't live in that wonderfully flat area that is required for the GoM to be "less inaccurate".

My last drive to Julian showed a single digit GoM range after 40 miles driving. Did I make the 40 mile return trip without recharging? Did the GoM give me any information that became "better as I drove"? Was it "close enough"?

Dog chasing his tail. Round and round we go, and where we stop, nobody knows.

mkjayakumar said:
Yes, I have done fairly extensive testing, and confirmed that the GOM can be reasonably accurate roughly between 2 and 7 bars. That said, I have to agree with Tony and Tom. This approach will only work on flat terrain, and with a consistent driving style. On the other hand, if you don't take the mileage estimate literally, but as a cue, it might be useful in conjunction with the energy economy gauge, as some owners in Seattle have reported.

With all that said, there cannot be a situation where one drives at 3.7 kWh for 54 miles and the GoM shows 50 remaining. I cannot believe anyone could get those 3 numbers lined up.

That was my point.

mkjayakumar said:
With all that said, there cannot be a situation where one drives at 3.7 kWh for 54 miles and the GoM shows 50 remaining. I cannot believe anyone could get those 3 numbers lined up. That was my point.
Maybe they were going downhill for a bit or the 3.7 mpk number was lifetime, and not trip-based.

elmobob said:
Car wings tells me Im doing 3.7 Miles / KW.

If you want a more accurate m/kW h, use your car's dash number, not CWs. Some people have claimed that CWs is more accurate now since the software update, but I've talked to people that have had it and they said that they see little or no change.
So if the dash had read the same, 3.7m/kW h, you could have gone about 75-78 miles (from your 100% charge) until Turtle if you kept it at 3.7 the whole time.

mkjayakumar said:
With all that said, there cannot be a situation where one drives at 3.7 kWh for 54 miles and the GoM shows 50 remaining. I cannot believe anyone could get those 3 numbers lined up.

That was my point.

And my point in the same situation is that not only could I line them up, I could exceed them (or get significantly less)

So, I can drive 3.7 for 54 actual miles, and then show some value on the-doggie-tail-GoM that far exceeds 50 miles remaining. Like always, it's pointless to suggest otherwise unless you specify level terrain and consistent drive style.

89 out today. 100% charge. Month old 2012 SL. Drove from Kalamazoo MI to lake Michigan and back at 53MPH with cruise. Flat terrain. 45 minute 120V boost at lake. 78 miles on trip odo. 18 miles remained on GoM. I'd guess 95 to 100 miles max. I'm driving this beast up north to the U.P. of Michigan in July (620 miles, 400 of which is rural small town Michigan..No EV stations.) I have the EVSE upgrade and a well stocked "kit". Debating on a Honda EU200i with a propane conversion. I hate the thought of a gas can and device in the car. Will camp, and stay at Ma and Pa Hotels, etc. Hopefully they have 240V room AC's or campground electric. I have a home built Easy 240 as well.

Here's the map.

http://goo.gl/maps/D97E

Have a Facebook page set up. Although I'm an IT engineer, I'm an old one. Forgive my clumsiness with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and HTML (wanna know about IP, Data transmission, RS-232, H.323, SATA, I7's, etc, I'm good)

Here's the FB site:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003929650713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wish me luck. Any insight or ideas from you west coasters (who have had these machines for a bit longer than we have in the Midwest) would be welcome, as long as they are not negative. If you don't like this idea, keep your opinions to yourselves please.

Chuck O

I'd just suggest you try to select your most likely recharge points, and call a day ahead of your arrival.

The motels where I've asked, mostly just seem to want to be sure the cable will not pose a tripping hazard.

At RV parks that have not sold Charging services before, this gives the operator time to mull over the possibilities.

In my experience, most have heard about other RV parks selling charges to BEVs, are curious, and looking to find new sources of revenue.

Have fun

overbergerc said:
89 Debating on a Honda EU200i with a propane conversion. I hate the thought of a gas can and device in the car. Will camp, and stay at Ma and Pa Hotels, etc. Hopefully they have 240V room AC's or campground electric.

You sound like you got it covered! Do you have a link to the propane Honda?

You can follow my Mexico to Canada thread which may help with your planning.

Good luck! In flat Michigan, the range chart should be easy to use for planning.

LEAFfan said:
Some people have claimed that CWs is more accurate now since the software update, but I've talked to people that have had it and they said that they see little or no change.
For older LEAFs, you must have the "telematics connection fix" applied from last year (NTB-11-041)... the "voluntary recall" from early 2012, NTB12-014, regrettably does not fix the bad CARWINGS kWh reporting. (The undocumented bug causes higher efficiency than reality to be reported to CARWINGS.)

LEAFfan said:
elmobob said:
Car wings tells me Im doing 3.7 Miles / KW.

If you want a more accurate m/kW h, use your car's dash number, not CWs. Some people have claimed that CWs is more accurate now since the software update, but I've talked to people that have had it and they said that they see little or no change.
So if the dash had read the same, 3.7m/kW h, you could have gone about 75-78 miles (from your 100% charge) until Turtle if you kept it at 3.7 the whole time.

Maybe reporting my range after only 1 day of ownership wasn't such a good idea..
I reported 3.7m/kw with a 100 mile range but I forgot to mention i plugged it in for over an hour to show a friend how it worked and did not reset the trip, now after having the car for 3 days and understanding it more I can see I will be getting 60-75 per full charge maybe 85 on eco, but my commute is 11 miles each way so I will only be charging to 80%. Will be reporting a more accurate range as I gain more experience.

Starting SOC : 100%, plus 3.357 kWh charge in Palo Alto High Street Garage
Range (till battery low) : Unknown
Range (till turtle) : Unknown
Distance travelled: 61 miles, 6 bars remaining on the state of charge meter.
Efficiency : 4.9 miles/kWh (from the dash, reset at beginning of trip)
Driving : ~45 mph most of the way. Went from sea level to 2400 feet and back again, lots of hills.
Climate : Sunny 77F at sea level, 65F on the hill, 20 mph side-wind (Westerly). Just ran the fan on outside air, ran AC for only 5 minutes at the end of the trip.
Payload: 500 lb (2 adults, various supplies)

I've had my red (cayenne) 2012 Leaf SL for 2 weeks now. I traded in a BMW 750i for it - only miss the sportier cornering, and the ICE range and speed. (I certainly don't miss the 15 mpg gasoline bill, outrageous depreciation, and cost of maintenance.) The comfort, luxury, and quietness in the Leaf is amazing for the price. I don't have the 240V charger yet, but so far haven't really missed it - I always have plenty in the tank to get to work (5 miles away) and run errands. It also gives me something useful to do with the unused 7-10 kWh my solar panels generate every day from Spring to Fall. The backup car is a Ford Explorer which is useful for road trips and hauling 800 lbs of rocks. (It doesn't get much use these days.)

Today's route was Santa Clara to Palo Alto, then to Alice's Restaurant, and home via Skyline Boulevard to Hwy 9:
http://goo.gl/maps/PnPk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried this route in the opposite direction last weekend (Lawrence to Highway 9 to Highway 35) and chickened out when I reached the summit (Highway 9 at Highway 35.) There were only 4 bars left on the state of charge meter! This time I tried it with a topping-off at Palo Alto while I had lunch (3.3 kWh added charge) and used a slightly less steep ascent. I obviously didn't need to top off when running the route in this direction, so it looks like a really steep ascent can kill your charge in a hurry. Lesson learned: Steep roads are battery chompers. The direction you are travelling when you reach the steepest part of the route can make a world of difference to your range!

While I was waiting at a stop light a few miles from home, a middle-aged couple in a huge SUV rolled down their window to ask me how I liked the EV. I told them I loved it, and was returning from Alice's Restaurant with half a tank of juice left. That sort of thing didn't happen when I was driving the BMW. Similarly, the kindly folks at Alice's Restaurant offered to let me plug in if I needed it, even though they aren't listed on the chargepoint map. It reminded me of Red Green, who would say "Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." (And we really are.)

Amusing coincidences today:

1) At the High Street garage there is only 1 charging station, a 120V model. It was in use when i got there. I decided to go to the top level to make sure there were no other stations in the building. On the way back down the station was empty - how convenient!

2) I checked out the chargers at another parking structure in Palo Alto and there was an identical 2012 red Leaf using one of the stations.

Hello,
Here are my May numbers. "Other Charge Value" is my estimated value of free power I used while using public charging. Mostly from the Eugene trip.

Picture removed - Photobucket sucks

Back