SoCal Branch LEAF Gathering - Our First Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
garygid said:
Gathering #4 (last of 2010):

I am thinking that the 2nd Saturday of the month (the 11th of December)

In LEAFs perhaps? Wasn't the original delivery date the 10th? ;)

Never thought I'd be 'glad' our dashboard still shows 'pending'. Ahhhh - the eternal optimist. But YEAH!!! Can you imagine? Pulling up in the Leaf THAT early? Woah! My in-laws have a big Hanukkah party up in Bell Canyon (Ventura county) each year, and I swear, you lose count of all the Prius owner's cars in the driveway. I'd LOVE to pull up to the party in the Leaf ... but I doubt it'll be here that early. Pridefull ... eh? Baah . . . . 'she who must be obeyed' would probably want to go in the Lexus 400h anyway . . . more ride comfort.

Latest "Gathering" Motivational News-Flash:

It is HIGHLY LIKELY that we WILL have an RLL
(a Real, Live Leaf) at our Gathering #4 in December. :D

Does that, just perhaps, give you a little extra incentive to attend?

garygid said:
Latest "Gathering" Motivational News-Flash:

It is HIGHLY LIKELY that we WILL have an RLL
(a Real, Live Leaf) at our Gathering #4 in December. :D

Does that, just perhaps, give you a little extra incentive to attend?

AND... if this doesn't just get more exciting by the second, I have seven LEAF bracelets to give to the first seven hand raisers. These are very attractive bracelets made from recycled tires and car metal. They were given out at the LA Auto Show from the trunk of a real (pre-production) LEAF.

They bear an attached card that reads "this is not a bracelet, it's a statement - one made from recycled car tires and metal, and wearing it shows your support of building a zero-emissions future, one car at a time. welcome to the revolution.

Can you contain your excitement???

And......I will have a toy charging station (that was linked to in another thread) to raffle off in a free drawing! Wow....we may fill up the HTB at this rate. :lol:

garygid said:
Gathering 3b was a smaller group, but it was easier to ask questions.

How to go down long grades?
What is Regen really?

So, all very good questions, and a very nice "Gathering". Thanks.

It sounds like a great discussion, and I am sorry I missed it, but one trip to OC per month is all I can manage.
Is there a thread where some of us can discuss Regen (and eco mode) ?

I will definitely be at Dec 11 meeting. Nov is supposed to be my order month, so hopefully I will have my order
in place, with a nice discount, when I see you all next.

tbleakne said:
Hi gang,

I just wanted to let you all know I was able to place my order yesterday. Ocean Blue SL + QC + floor mats with nice discount.
See you all on Dec 11.

Congratulations, Tom! I know that is a big step in the right direction and you must be feeling great about joining the ranks of the "already ordered".

tbleakne said:
Is there a thread where some of us can discuss Regen (and eco mode) ?

I would love to discuss Regen and ECO mode, and especially how you might be able to manage the latter to gain maximum regenerative benefit - I have this notion about dropping her down into ECO every time I know I'll need to come to a crawl or complete stop from significant speed.

Great, we will be meeting on the "Day-of-First-Delivery". Is that F-D Day?

Rumor: There will be at least one leaf in the parking lot.

So, see you this coming Saturday in Santa Ana.

garygid said:
I suspect that just pressing lightly on the "go-slower" pedal will increase the Regen as needed, and no need to "shift" to ECO mode just for Regen Braking.

I would like to briefly add to this topic in this thread because I know you and mwalsh are watching it. I agree light brake pressure without ECO is hopefully just regen, without mechanical braking that would waste energy. ECO probably attempts to help further by limiting acceleration, but there is little need for that if you are a careful driver. If you want to coast, just coast without regen, because regen has some efficiency loss associated with charging the battery. The one situation I think ECO mode might be useful is descending a steep grade. Here I think ECO mode should work like a low-gear for an ICE. The ECO mode would add to the regen called for by the brake pressure. You would recapture a lot of the energy you invested going up the hill when you go back down. Hard pressure on the brake would still activate mechanical (lossy) breaking.

I look forward to seeing you folks again this Saturday.

Come Celebrate the First Delivery of a LEAF with us
this coming Saturday morning, 11 Dec 2010.

At Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana, just east of I-5 on 17th Street,
from 8:30 AM to 11:00 (plus or minus).

I try to arrive there between 8:00 and 8:15 ... see you there?

Back