SoCal Branch LEAF-Gathering Year 2 - #24c: 25 Aug 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heya. Stefan here from Montreal.. I am here in LA this weekend, on a mini-vacation, and will be driving down to the OC to see you guys in the morning in my white Chevy Impala LTZ rental.. (E85 powered, of course.. )

so looking forward to seeing all the Leafs, and you Leaf owners!

-- Stefan

garygid said:
9:20 to go. See you all ... soon.

Bring USB flash drives if you want copies of Logs, etc.

About 11 attended, with 5 or 6 LEAFs. One visitor was from Canada, and he got his FIRST ride in a LEAF.

I have ordered some Sylvania "motion sensor LED lights" for our Gathering.

I have been using one under the charging hatch (with night and motion
sensing) to provide light for dark-condition plugging into the receptacles there.
Magnetic mount, and Works Great.

garygid said:
Saturday, 22 Oct, 2011
at HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana, CA
Good Buffet Breakfast, good variety.

Newcomers Welcome!

Gary can I order one of those led lights from you for next meeting? How much are they?

SmartShot,
I will save one for you.
Somebody else wanted 2 or 3.

I hope to receive these Sylvania Motion Detector LED Lights (magnetic mount), before the next meeting.

It will be about $15 (maybe a bit less, depending upon the shipping costs).

Just another reminder, in case you've missed them. Please bring your LEAF or other EV to the National Plug In Day Tailgate without Tailpipes in Orange on Sunday, Oct 16 at 1 pm at the Orange Library. Details below.

RSVP with and send your current odometer reading to Linda Nicholes at [email protected]

Info about Sunday's event at http://www.pluginamerica.org/pluginday/orange-county" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey guys, I was the one that recommended lunch.. unfortunately, something "came up".. I have a newborn photoshoot (baby was 2 weeks early) at 11am. They usually take about 2 hours, so I probably won't even be at the event until 1:30pm.. Can't wait, hopefully my photoshoot doesn't take too long!

The Ruby's at the Metrolink station just 4 blocks West
of the Traffic Circle, and a half-block North.

186 N. Atchison St.
North of the corner of Atchison St and Chapman Ave. in Orange

The Library is apparently 3 blocks East of the Traffic Circle
(7 blocks from Ruby's).

I was planning to do just the Santa Monica parade, but at 91040's suggestion I decided to go for the "grand tour:" Claremont -> Santa Monica -> Orange -> home. 135 miles in one day. Great to see mwalsh, Boomer23, and all the rest.

Malloryk, sorry you could not make the Santa Monica parade. I bet "Ruby" was disappointed she didn't get a chance to participate.

I got 10 minutes on the trailer-mounted QC in Santa Monica before the parade, but this only gave me a disappointing 20% charge. I will post pictures. All printed instructions were in Japanese. After the parade the line for more QC was 80+ minutes long, so I bailed. Learned from mwalsh that diesel-powered QC works out to about 50 miles/galleon, not bad at all. The exhaust heat from the charger was very modest, indicating high efficiency. The operator did report that in warmer weather (I estimate it was about 68F) the exhaust works a lot harder.

Thanks to Kataphn for making very thoughtful arrangements for charging at their place if necessary on the way home. I ended up going to the Helms Bakery complex in Culver City and having a great brunch at the French-style bistro while I got 1 hour charge at the Clipper Creek station.

After the drive to Orange I needed more charge for the 27 miles and 1Kft gain back to Claremont. The car GPS took me to Stadium Nissan nearby. Someone from the parade had beat me to their one charge station out front, but the Sales Manager was very nice and took me back to their service bay to plug in there. 1:40 of charge got me home with 24% charge remaining, most of one red bar.

This has probably already been posted, but I just wanted to offer my personal congratulations to Garygid for making the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/a...enough-alone.html?scp=1&sq=nissan hack&st=cse

tbleakne, a big congratulations for making the "grand tour". It was very nice to see you in Orange today. So glad to hear that Stadium Nissan treated you so well.

At the Orange Library, about 32 LEAFs (a Bushel of LEAFs, see below) showed up.

The total was about twice that number of e-vehicles, representing over 1,000,000 oil-free miles driven. A few e-cars were over 100,000 miles each, and a few were still under 1000 miles.

We might get a few new folks at next Saturday's Gathering at HTB on 17th in Santa Ana.

Approximate number of LEAFs:
4 = Cluster
8 = Gathering
16 = Branch
32 = Bushel
64 = Tree
128 = Grove
256 = Forest
(or some such) :D

Back