Speed limits ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
With no other cars on the freeway, driving any speed in the left lane,
you can get a ticket for not staying to the right except when passing.

In CA, not here. But I wish we had that law...it's a good one.

mogur said:
Also, again in California, if you are driving the limit in the left lane and there are cars behind you that you are blocking, you WILL get a ticket even though you are doing the posted speed limit. You need to move right.
Can you post the exact rule here ... ?

LEAFfan said:
garygid said:

Are you sure - I've seen this rule in CA, IL, WA & MO.

evnow said:
LEAFfan said:
garygid said:

Are you sure - I've seen this rule in CA, IL, WA & MO.

You won't find it in AZ. I was the ONLY one in the room of 80 some people that knew the correct answer when asked by the instructor about a driver in the left lane (speed lane) going the speed limit with several cars behind them if it were legal or not. EVERYONE in my group (except me) insisted that it was illegal because it was impeding traffic or they HAD to move over to allow passing. I told them as long as the driver was going the speed limit, it was legal. I was correct. Of course, if there were that many following at the speed limit in the left lane (not HOV), I would move over as a matter of courtesy. The rest of the drivers in the room must have been from CA! :lol:

LEAFfan said:
You won't find it in AZ. I was the ONLY one in the room of 80 some people that knew the correct answer when asked by the instructor about a driver in the left lane (speed lane) going the speed limit with several cars behind them if it were legal or not. EVERYONE in my group (except me) insisted that it was illegal because it was impeding traffic or they HAD to move over to allow passing. I told them as long as the driver was going the speed limit, it was legal. I was correct. Of course, if there were that many following at the speed limit in the left lane (not HOV), I would move over as a matter of courtesy. The rest of the drivers in the room must have been from CA! :lol:

There is a big difference between legal and courteous. I see people all the time driving in the left lane at the speed limit with lines of traffic behind and they don't seem to care that the cars have to pass on the right one at a time when there is room to zip between vehicles in the right lane. I even overheard a lady in line at the grocery store explaining how she does it on purpose all the time to force people to drive slower and keep everyone safe. I've spoken with CHP who say those drivers are the biggest cause of traffic issues, he even said he has pulled some over to explain to them that it is not a good idea for them to do this and they should let the CHP find the speeders. I should have lectured the woman at the grocery store, but I was not in the mood for a possible confrontation, so I let it go.

Courtesy, please stay to the right and let people pass, please allow me in when I use my blinker (I don't use it as a warning so you can close the gap), and please don't talk on the phone.

I'll have to dig it up for you but I have first hand experience with this as I had a ticket dismissed quite a number of years ago under exactly those circumstances. I was keyed in to this by a friend who is an attorney and specializes in such things. When I brought it up to the judge and gave him the supporting documentation he said, "Yep, you are right. Dismissed." The cop there didn't argue the point. By the way, I was going 55 in a 45 at the time...

P.S. I may be wrong in the term, by the way; It was prima something... I'll have to look for my old paperwork... Getting old is a bitch!

derkraut said:
Uh Mogur :? ...could you please reference the CA vehicle code paragraph that supports your statement above? I've been driving in CA off & on for over 50yrs; and I've never heard of the "prima Facia" speed limit> :?

mogur said:
Actually, it is not, per se, at least in California. There is the posted speed limit and then there is the prima facia speed limit.
Search for "Prima Facie speed limit". You will find the references.

Essentially that is a speed where it becomes very easy to prosecute (my guess, since it is beyond any accuracy limits).

Back