SPX Power Express - Updated!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
smkettner said:
Remind us what 2013 LEAF can draw? I am thinking 28 or 29 amps. Seems a bit high for a 30a rated component long term.
IMO SPX should be set no higher than 24a unless higher rated cable is used.

What is the SPX setting out of the box?
27.5 amps is what's been reported here. The rating on the cable and plug is supposed to be what you can really draw on a continuous basis. It's not like the 80% rule for the circuit breaker.
That 80% rule I believe covers the wire also..... I bet it is just #10 in the cable so I would stick with 24a max.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Bicster said:
Anyone else think that $1k for parts/labor to replace the J1772 receptacle is obscene? I wonder how much wiring has to be replaced along with it. I guess that is where the cost comes in?
Not like you can get the parts at autozone and fix it yourself.

Congratulations LilDave you just found some new fodder for naysayers telling the world evs are to be avoided. They would enjoy this story just in case the coal chant gets old.

The old 3.3 charger isn't sounding so bad now.

It is just by luck that this happened to me and not a non-EV lover. I purchased the first Volt off the truck in my area (Oct '11) and have over 38K on it (27K EV miles). I've been a huge supporter of EV's and adoption in my area. I was really happy with the Leaf up to this point. It remains to be seen if this whole mess changes my opinion.

My biggest concern is on how this is being handled. I've been getting jerked around for almost 2 weeks and am still no closer to a resolution. I've documented every call to Nissan, the dealer, and Bosch just in case this isn't resolved in a satisfactory way. I've made 90% of the calls as responses have been few and far between. Nethier company seems to care about the fear this has put in my wife and myself that this could happen again, they just point fingers. Meanwhile, gas has shot up to $3.75 . I am putting unplanned miles on my SUV and burning a ton of gas.

The main reason I posted about it on here and on GM-VOLT was to bring awarness so it doesn't happen to anybody else. I was also looking for any information that would be helpful when talking to Bosch or whoever. All of the post have been helpful. Hopefully I will have some good news to post soon.

Ironic considering all the technology that goes into plug in cars, it's the lowly plug itself that is the source of so much consternation, first with the standards battles, now with reliability issues.

It makes you think twice before plugging into various random public charging stations. I used to joke about my leaf being monogamous, looks like we need to have our guard up for STDs (susceptibility to thermal destruction)

Hello,
A couple days ago I pulled my J1772 connector (Blink 30A EVSE) after charging my 2011 leaf and the connector was very warm. TED showed it was pulling 3.878 kW. I'm going to pull it apart and check inside. I'll try to get some temp rise figures with my thermal gun tonight during charging.

I'm thinking I want to install a thermal snap switch in the PROX on the Leaf socket BEFORE I do the Brusa charger upgrade.

Tracking the temp rise: External temp while plugged in.
Start = 71.4*F
1 hr = 87.6*F @ 15.8 A
2 hrs = 96.7*F @ 15.6 A

Quick update. I talked to Bosch. Everything should be resolved. They are going above and beyond what I expected. I will update tomorrow once I'm on a computer.

LilDave said:
Quick update. I talked to Bosch. Everything should be resolved. They are going above and beyond what I expected. I will update tomorrow once I'm on a computer.
Great news. Very good to hear!

davewill said:
smkettner said:
That 80% rule I believe covers the wire also..... I bet it is just #10 in the cable so I would stick with 24a max.
Well, Leviton says their cable with "3 X 10 AWG & 2 X 16 AWG conductors" "will accommodate up to 30A, 208V - 240V AC systems", so I'm pretty sure the stated rating on the cable and plug are meant for actual continuous use.

Oh I understand. My perspective is with RVs plugged into 30 amps and pulling close to 30 amps for extended periods will often cause the plug to fail from heat. Probably mostly a poor connection with a worn pitted dirty outlet but still it is an issue running the max. I also recommend RV to keep it to 24 amps.

I was hoping my Leviton 160 would come with lighter 3x12 cable. Probably 2x12, 14G, 2x18 would be plenty.
I will stick with my SPX 24a max recommendation.

I soldered the crimp connections on my SPX J1772 handle. Tested for 1 hour at 32 amps, with the handle disassembled, the power wires 1 inch from the connection, were no hotter than the wires at the EVSE end.

smkettner said:
Remind us what 2013 LEAF can draw? I am thinking 28 or 29 amps. Seems a bit high for a 30a rated component long term.
The component is rated for 30A long term. If it's not good for 30A long term, the rating should be lowered to whatever is determined to be a suitable current for long term usage.

The fact is, though, that these plugs even when properly crimped are only rated for a certain number of plug/unplug cycles before they wear out. The question is - how do you determine that a plug is worn out before you figure it out the hard way and something melts?

smkettner said:
10 GA is rated for 32A continuous duty with 90C rated insulation. (10GA 90C rated wire is good for 40A for non-continuous loads)

LilDave said:
Great news!

smkettner said:
Oh I understand. My perspective is with RVs plugged into 30 amps and pulling close to 30 amps for extended periods will often cause the plug to fail from heat. Probably mostly a poor connection with a worn pitted dirty outlet but still it is an issue running the max. I also recommend RV to keep it to 24 amps.

I was hoping my Leviton 160 would come with lighter 3x12 cable. Probably 2x12, 14G, 2x18 would be plenty.
I will stick with my SPX 24a max recommendation.
That's different. Anyway, 24a is the correct setting since the Power Xpress can't be set to 30a, only 24a or 32a.

Back