Strange pulsing noise around 50 MPH

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RojoLeaf

We've had our leaf for quite awhile and have 31K mile on it now. Just this past week it started making a pulsing noise at about 50 MPH, like we're about to take off, then it subsides around 60 MPH. It actually reminds me of the pulsing noise a jet engine makes when coming in for a landing. My wife noticed a week ago and I just noticed it tonight on my way home. We're going to take it but wondering if anyone else has experienced the same... there are no warning lights or indication of anything wrong.

Thanks

RojoLeaf said:
We've had our leaf for quite awhile and have 31K mile on it now. Just this past week it started making a pulsing noise at about 50 MPH, like we're about to take off, then it subsides around 60 MPH. It actually reminds me of the pulsing noise a jet engine makes when coming in for a landing. My wife noticed a week ago and I just noticed it tonight on my way home. We're going to take it but wondering if anyone else has experienced the same... there are no warning lights or indication of anything wrong.

Thanks

Does the frequency of the pulse track with tire RPM? What condition are your tires in? If they are the originals they may be getting pretty worn....belt separation on one of them, maybe?

There most certainly is a very annoying pulsing "sound"/sensation when the rear windows are open at those speeds! It's incredibly annoying (at least to me), but the inhabitants in the rear seat (the kids) either don't notice it, or they find it funny or something. Have had similar issues in other cars.

Sounds like wind buffeting. You can get a nasty resonant oscillation in air pressure that sounds like someone is rapidly thumping the sides of your head with pillows. It's especially common with just the rear windows open for some reason... few cars seem to be immune to the effect.

Crack open one of the front windows and it should go away.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
... like someone is rapidly thumping the sides of your head with pillows.

That's actually a very good description of what it feels like. I can't take it for mpre than a few seconds before I get either nauseaus or very angry. Or both.

Back