Study: 4.7 million EV chargers coming worldwide by 2015

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacti

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/05/27/study-4-7-million-ev-chargers-coming-worldwide-by-2015/

"According to a new study conducted by Pike Research, the number of electric vehicle (EV) charge points across the globe will reach 4.7 million by 2015. That's so many that the study suggests that the charging market will become overly crowded by next year."

That's beautiful! So many anti-EV forces use today's lack of infrastructure to 'prove' EVs won't work. They forget that things change. :D

Thanks Cacti!

I've always laughed at the anti EV guys who use the lack of infrastructure as the basis of their argument. Back when horseless carriages were replacing horses, gas stations were not everywhere either... :roll:

BrendanDolan said:
I've always laughed at the anti EV guys who use the lack of infrastructure as the basis of their argument. Back when horseless carriages were replacing horses, gas stations were not everywhere either... :roll:

It is the chicken and egg situation. And yet we have chickens on this planet ... :lol:

garygid said:
Back in the "olden" days, we would carry more gas in cans, when needed.

Your analogy for EVing today is an extension cord. You live in one of the most heavily populated areas in the country - you'll really have to work to get more than 100' from a building with an outlet of some type. ;)

For my drives to West Texas, I'm thinking about tossing an exercise bike in the back with a BUNCH of those little bicycle light friction generators. ;) (or not!)

Yes, for an EV, the extension cord will be part of my "emergency" fuel kit. A few screwdrivers, a VOM, some heavy-duty clip leads, and various socket adapters (screw-in socket to replace a lightbulb, 240-to-120 adapter, etc.), might also be handy.

In Texas, where "everything is bigger", I suppose you just need a 10,000 foot cord? Especially since, in Texas, y'all are rarely more than 5 miles from a well-head with power ... :)

Here, it is quite possible to be "away" from power.
Unsupervised cords over sidewalks into buildings are usually not permitted, for fear of safety-related litigation.
Plenty of park, mountain, freeway, and desert aeas do not have accessable power.

So, even though one will rarely drive to these places in the EV (for now), the "jerry can" and an extension cord are not quite equivalent.

Some parking meters (yes, some take credit cards here) and most street and parking lot lighting poles have "hot" electricity in them, but ... it can be a bit risky to access.

Yes,we'll probably all carry an extension cord, even though from a strict electrical code standpoint it is apparently not "safe" to use it. At least a rule page on PG&E's website says the EVSE must be within 18 inches of the wall plug. For 120v charging the EVSE will either be built into the wall plug of the charging cord or be a block with a short wall plug cord on one side and a long cord to the Leaf connector on the other.

You can buy heavy gauge extension cords, which is what I'd use for this - 10 gauge, 12 at the least.

I use one of these to charge my plug-in Honda Accord: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKLMO8/

They also make a 10/3 100' cord for about $120! :shock:

LEAFer said:
Bicster said:
.. my plug-in Honda Accord: ...
A link ? More info, please ?

I tease. It's an ICE car with an onboard 120V battery charger. I have to plug it in when I park it or the battery will go flat because it's only driven once every 3-4 months. :lol:

As I suggested, I plan to carry an extension cord in the trunk of my Leaf, code violation or not. I'm not sure what concern led to the rule, but it might have been something silly like, "What if a car runs over the cord 100 times. It could fray the insulation and cause a short." That would be no problem with the EVSE close to the wall plug.

Personally, I think a plug-in electric mower provides a far greater chance of a short in the extension cord, and I haven't seen anything outlawing those.

Most extension cords are flimsy and use thin wire. They are not meant for heavy loads. Use a good one with 12 gauge (or less; lower is fatter) wire and you should be fine.

FWIW all the wire in my walls is 12 gauge, except for high load circuits like ovens, dryer, A/C, etc.

with 4.7 million charging stations, no one thinks that someone will start marketing charging cords?? ones labeled for use as such??

my Zenn comes with a cord exactly like the link with the exception that it is lime green. as for me, i will use it or something similar to plug my Leaf in as it will be fine since all public charging stations are ground fault protected.

here is Zenn plugged in at home. it was currently drawing 8.54 amps on 110 volts

photo.php

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31188437&id=1470388190

oh well. guess image tag not working??

Back