SV deal a good deal? Think so

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egizzi

End of the month pressure for dealers to meet quota. I'm wanting to buy a Leaf because 1) It gets me the HOV lane in California for my 25 mile round trip commute, and 2) I have a 22 year old volvo (driving perfectly), and I spend probably around $150 a month on gas.

Sent emails out to multiple dealers. Played hardball.

Here's the latest offer. I was bold and just asked for it:

SV
36 months
12k annual miles
$2450 down
$229 a month (not including taxes)
No end lease disposition fee

That comes to 22 cents a mile

I haven't seen anything this good for an SV

He is ready to make the deal.

And the offers keep coming in:
From another dealer

S with charger package

$3348 down (- 2500 CA rebate = 848)
350 dispo lease end fee

Basically, it's $176 for the car including tax, the 848 divided by 35 months =$24 $350 dispo fee divided by 35 months = $10.

$176+ $24 + $10 = $210 monthly.

That comes to 20.4 cents per mile

So the SV is 1.5 cents per mile more money. Worth it?

I'm in northern california.

Assuming the down payments are all-inclusive "out the door" numbers, both quotes seem very good based on known data.

I haven't priced out S/SV trims, but the best I've gotten for the SL is 28 cpm on a 3yr/$2k down quote.

Perhaps you should hang out a shingle as a buyer's agent ;)

I asked my local dealer to match the 210 including taxes out the door for the s+charger, or 229 including taxes out the door for the SV. That means the SV is $665 more over three years.

He said he will but I have to go to the dealership to confirm. I think I've hit the bottom price.

I would prefer to give my business to the local dealership plus it saves me the 1 hour trip to the other dealer.

The good news is that I'm not desperate to buy today. If there are any surprises at the dealership today, I'll just go to the 1 hour away dealer and buy the car.

I'll let you know what happens.

I went to the local dealer and..... they refused to match it. They tried but the basically told me the other dealer's quote is impossible as any dealer would be losing too much money on it.

They then proceeded to tell me that given my annual income, why was I spending time quibbling over $500. I politely pointed out that it was my business how I spend my time searching for the best deal. I also told them that based on their counteroffer, the difference was $900 over 3 years. He then told me given depreciation, etc., it was $500. That sounds like dealer obfuscation: confuse me, tell me I'm wrong.

They then told me what their sales people make and that "thank god" I have a job that pays so well. I politely told them that those facts were irrelevant. I almost asked they if they were a 501c3 charitable organization so I could get a tax deduction of what I might be overpaying. But I didn't. I understand they are trying to make a living too.

They then wanted me to call the other dealer right in the showroom to confront them about the accuracy of their quote. I politely told them that I would find out the legitimacy of their offer from the friendly confines of my own home, as I needed a breather. I acknowledged that they didn't want me to leave the showroom as they were probably worried I would not return. I told them that I would verify the other dealer's quote and that if it were real I would buy from them. Then they told me that it would be better to support a local business. I told them that if the competitor's deal was in fact fake, then I would return. We politely shook hands and off I went.

I made one error in the negotiation. Before we reached a deal on the upfront costs and lease payments, the salesman started filling out an application, which I thought was a credit check application. During that process, I disclosed my annual income. I think they used that to shape their approach to me. Next time, I will not disclose any such information until we have a signed agreement pending a credit check.

Update tomorrow.

The deal is done.

Not with the local dealer

Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City. They came through with everything they promised.

S + Charger Package
36 month lease
After Taxes: $174 per month
After CA $2500 rebate: $845 upfront once I get my check from the state
Lease Dispo Fee: $395
This included VPP discount

Total = 20.3 cents per mile

I managed to turn down: prepaid service, lease protection plan (from dings/stains, etc, $800).

Back