The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, I am not quiting my day job. I made a short video and put on youtube about the S+. Drive was from Skokie to Huntley IL and back.

https://youtu.be/V3Ylj_Z7CFY

Overall elevation change on the test is about 260ft, higher at midpoint. S+ is an efficient beast, T least compared to our SV+. I also did a 0-57mph test (I let off too early) in 6.6 seconds. So 6.9 seems feasible. It is a bit faster than SV+. Here is the screen shot. You can ignore the 60mph time as after I let off I realized I was short and then sped up again. If you look at the bottom thankfully there is a reading for 6.6s/57mph. I dont thinkni had ever done a stop light accelerator slam before in this car. The 0-20 doesn't feel as sluggish as it does in the other car.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BHpljzVm1bf-U2C1OflGMpVUHPY2CD3D/view?usp=drivesdk

I was meeting a friend for lunch today, so decided to document both legs of the trip. The speedometer definitely reads high in the S+. (Its pretty much right on in the SV+). If you discount a tenth ot two, its still a solid .3-.4 more efficient than the SV+. The return trip was crazy today...though dangerous given i was going 15 miles below traffic.. won't do that again. The tail wind was amazing.

In the video I showed the interior difference. My belief as to why the S+ is more efficient:

1. Smaller lighter tire/rims
2. Lower ride height (1/3rd inch)
3. Fewer electronics (lower idle power usage)
4. Lighter overall

The S+ I believe is about .2 - faster 0-60 than the SV+, but it really doesnt matter. The Plus is not a Tesla, but still faster than my old 85 Trans Am.

If you are ok with Android Auto/car play, you won't miss much with without the Nav, though i personally like that the car nav has lane direction in the dash screen.

The AC is also better in the S+ ; No heat pump, so heat will heat more range. I generally run without heat until well below freezing, so judge based on your climate/needs.

Our SV+ has the tech package so it has more safety systems, and the assisted drive/adaptive cruise which can be nice.

The range difference only really matters if you plan on doing long distances. For drives under 200 (for instance, we often visit family in Milwaukee from Chicago) either car handles the round trip distance fine.

As the discounts are fixed amounts, as the S+ can be had for less, the net price is much less. Our S+ after all incentives(dealer, Nissan, Federal) was 23+ tax, but our SV+ was 31k (though should have negotiated better) last year.

Good luck with your decision.

Dear friends, I really need help. I am looking for a current sensor for a 62 kWh model (lem HAH1BV-S/D24) or contactor box 294A1-5SF0A, If you have this part or you know where to buy, please write to me, thank you :!:

Doug; have you been checking Odo variances? This should be ongoing as it does change. I just did one the other day and up to 1.7 miles/100 miles calculated (70.2 miles actual) When the car was new, it was 1.2 miles/100.

The above trip had a lot of elevation change so the next one which I hope to do before next tire rotation will be a flatter test

DaveinOlyWA said:
Doug; have you been checking Odo variances? This should be ongoing as it does change. I just did one the other day and up to 1.7 miles/100 miles calculated (70.2 miles actual) When the car was new, it was 1.2 miles/100.

The above trip had a lot of elevation change so the next one which I hope to do before next tire rotation will be a flatter test

Dave,
Are you saying your S+ indicates slightly more miles than actual distance driven? My SL+ traveled about 2.5% farther than indicated when new with the original tires inflated to 44 psi. The error was down to about 2.1% just before I purchased new tires. With my larger tires it now travels about 3.7% farther than the odometer indicates. This impacts the dashboard indicated efficiency so may be why Doug sees higher efficiency with his S+ vs. his SV+ if his odometer calibrations are similar to yours and mine. Since the speedometer gets a speed calibration signal from the navigation system, the indicated speed on my SL+ was accurate when new and is still accurate now with the larger tires. Speed is always within 1 mi/hr of my fast response portable GPS unit (usually the same reading, but sometimes either 1 mi/hr above or 1 mi/hr below).

GerryAZ

My SV+ is also accurate within 1 mph when doing phone based GPS tests. As the S+ doesn't have navigation, it won't have that alignment. Going to do a 20 miles loop this week with both cars to see what the odometer and efficiency show vs Google maps.

DougWantsALeaf said:
GerryAZ

My SV+ is also accurate within 1 mph when doing phone based GPS tests. As the S+ doesn't have navigation, it won't have that alignment. Going to do a 20 miles loop this week with both cars to see what the odometer and efficiency show vs Google maps.

GerryAZ; yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Doug, I wouldn't use in car NAV. I use a few different GPS trackers and compare numbers. Fitness trackers seem to "do an excellent job of measuring speed and distance" . My fitbit is supposedly accurate to 3-10 meters now I don't/can't use it because it doesn't work that way but most apps use a combination of both GPS and cellular location services to increase accuracy so "map my ride" "runkeeper" etc all should provide good data.

I noticed this discrepancy when I was submitting travel logs for work. My home to office mileage varied from 23.6 to as much as 24.3 miles over time in the same car with nearly no variance in distance. I didn't have "parking space variance" because I rarely if ever parked. I would simply drive to the office door, get out and pick up or drop off whatever and go which is easy to do when it was generally 6 AM or earlier.

There was also a slight variance from car to car so your S and my S possibly will not be the same either.

**EDIT** my voice to text missed chunks of what I said...

Ok, test complete. Not what I expected at all. I ran both cars on the same route at the same hour. The SV+ reported 18.6 miles while the S+ registered 19.3 miles. I did have 2 additional changes of lane with the S+ where I moved and moved back both times, so putting a .1 mile margin (+.1 miles) of error on the S+ run for note. As we know speedometer is low on S+ i keept speed at 62-63mph vs. 60mph in the SV+. I didnt look at efficiency except at mid point. For the SV+ mid point was 3.4 m/kWh and 4.2 m/kWh for S+. The route was north south, and we had a head wind going north.

I then google mapped the distance... it was 19.2 miles, exact to the S+. I believe the SV+ under reports mileage.

Efficiency per dash for SV+ was 4.3 miles/kWh and 4.8 miles/kWh in the S+

Per google and Leafspy it was 3.8-4.0 miles/kWh for the SV+ and 4.8 for the S+

So while this test is too short to make any hard statements, directionally, the S+ is 15-20% more efficient than the SV+ in the same conditions.

https://youtu.be/UqigECHK7Ug

Let me know what you think. Sorry o only had a couple hours to try this. A better test would be a 200 mile drive driving in Tandem. You can't see it in the video, but the SV+ battery warmed about 1.5F, while the S+ only about a .7F. Its too short of a test to suggest a delta, but it hints at the difference.

DougWantsALeaf said:
In the video I showed the interior difference. My belief as to why the S+ is more efficient:

1. Smaller lighter tire/rims
2. Lower ride height (1/3rd inch)
3. Fewer electronics (lower idle power usage)
4. Lighter overall

The S+ I believe is about .2 - faster 0-60 than the SV+, but it really doesnt matter. The Plus is not a Tesla, but still faster than my old 85 Trans Am.

If you are ok with Android Auto/car play, you won't miss much with without the Nav, though i personally like that the car nav has lane direction in the dash screen.

The AC is also better in the S+ ; No heat pump, so heat will heat more range. I generally run without heat until well below freezing, so judge based on your climate/needs.

Our SV+ has the tech package so it has more safety systems, and the assisted drive/adaptive cruise which can be nice.

The range difference only really matters if you plan on doing long distances. For drives under 200 (for instance, we often visit family in Milwaukee from Chicago) either car handles the round trip distance fine.

As the discounts are fixed amounts, as the S+ can be had for less, the net price is much less. Our S+ after all incentives(dealer, Nissan, Federal) was 23+ tax, but our SV+ was 31k (though should have negotiated better) last year.

Good luck with your decision.
I have a theory that is much more simple...Nissan did not compensate for the revolution/mile difference in tire sizes between 205/55/16 used on the base "S" and the 215/50/17 used on the SV/SL's into the onboard computer. That rotational difference is ~ 5%. I got into an argument with my dealer service dept on my '14 LEAF concerning the 5% over-counting odometer mileage on my lease with the 16" wheels, which they refused to adjust because it's considered within industry accepted standards for odometer error.

Think Nissan/EPA did their EPA range testing with the logging equipment plugged into the OBD port which would pull mileage from the car's computer. Thus, cooked the 5% odometer error into the EPA range estimates. I would bet, switch the tire sets between your 2 cars will reverse the difference. Both cars likely use identical energy as long at its not cold enough to use heat, the perceived better economy with the S is the odometer error in the calculation

rogersleaf said:
Think Nissan/EPA did their EPA range testing with the logging equipment plugged into the OBD port which would pull mileage from the car's computer
Do you have any proof that range is collected from the OBD2 port ?

SageBrush said:
rogersleaf said:
Think Nissan/EPA did their EPA range testing with the logging equipment plugged into the OBD port which would pull mileage from the car's computer
Only a theory, would need to be inside the testing to know for certain. Probably my bad, Nissan would never spin a detail like allowable odometer error to stretch their advertised driving range... no, never.

rogersleaf said:
SageBrush said:
rogersleaf said:
Only a theory, would need to be inside the testing to know for certain. Probably my bad, Nissan would never spin a detail like allowable odometer error to stretch their advertised driving range... no, never.
This has nothing to do with Nissan and everything to do with the EPA. The EPA does not allow the manufacturer to swap tyre sizes within the same certification (CSI). Moreover, IIRC (but I am not positive) the range test is performed on a dyno. The dyno would calculate the distance traveled, not the car.

What you call 'a theory' is speculation, and baseless speculation at that since you lack *any* specific knowledge of the EPA testing methods. Further, you are wrong in stating that you have to be 'in the building' to know how the test is performed. The methods are available for reading by the public and available on the web. Let me end with this: the method is VERY detailed.

Back