The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 bars lost in 12000 miles less than 6 months? Sounds like your battery degradation is accelerating. I'd be tempted to just cycle it daily from full to turtle w/o driving for like a couple of months monitoring with Leaf Spy to understand the dynamics, there may be hope it'll just die completely making you eligible for the replacement under the 100k/8 year manufacturing defect warranty.

hobbyguy said:
Has anyone on this thread actually paid for a new battery? I lost bar 4 at 62,000 miles and Nissan basically said tough luck. I have only 4 white and 2 red left now at 74,000 miles.
Wait, so you have lost 6 capacity bars now?

Out of curiosity, do you have LeafSpy readings? (e.g. Ahr, SOH, Hx and how many gids at 100% charge)

I'm confused by your dates:
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 000195

Did you buy yours new or used? Was it an '11 or '12? Bought on 1/5/12?

At 79.8% charge...

AHr 63.51
SOH 99%
SOC 79.8%
390.0V
Hx 95.53%
253 GIDS
Min 4.061
Avg 4.070
Max 4.079
Temp 103.8
Temp 103.8
Temp 98.6
Temp 98.8

These are for you drees! I would have quoted your statement but I just figured out how. It was too late I think to do it on this post.

Thanks! It's interesting that the 80% charge voltage is a lot higher than on the original pack.

But the 100% charge voltage is the same.

Evoforce said:
My computer also was not reset so it also shows all of the previous charges that were on the old battery in addition to the new battery. It also only charges to roughly 87-89% instead of the roughly whole capacity like the previous battery. Of course, the new battery has a little more capacity.

This is troubling: why haven't I heard/seen this before? Is there anything 2011-12 owners can do to get that 100% charge??

Neither was mine. This appears to be SOP...

See the comment on 100% charge voltage for the likely reason why new packs only go to the very low 90s in SOC at 100% (mine is typically around 91%)... There is no practical solution to that issue of which I am aware...

Evoforce said:
My computer also was not reset so it also shows all of the previous charges that were on the old battery in addition to the new battery.

I'm thinking that this same type of issue might arise if Nissan allows us to upgrade to the 30kWh pack. In fact, they may even refuse to upgrade simply because the GOM won't report an accurate range, since it was calibrated for a 24kWh pack. Personally, it wouldn't matter to me one bit, as I can easily add 25% more range in my head. ;)

I believe it will likely never be a problem as I seriously doubt Nissan will ever offer a 30Kwh upgrade.

keydiver said:
I'm thinking that this same type of issue might arise if Nissan allows us to upgrade to the 30kWh pack. In fact, they may even refuse to upgrade simply because the GOM won't report an accurate range, since it was calibrated for a 24kWh pack. Personally, it wouldn't matter to me one bit, as I can easily add 25% more range in my head. ;)

TomT said:
See the comment on 100% charge voltage for the likely reason why new packs only go to the very low 90s in SOC at 100% (mine is typically around 91%)... There is no practical solution to that issue of which I am aware...
I would see that quote if I knew where it was.

If I could figure out where it is with this new software, I'd be happy to post a link to it! :)

Stoaty said:
TomT said:
I would see that quote if I knew where it was.

Stanton said:
Evoforce said:
My computer also was not reset so it also shows all of the previous charges that were on the old battery in addition to the new battery. It also only charges to roughly 87-89% instead of the roughly whole capacity like the previous battery. Of course, the new battery has a little more capacity.
This is troubling: why haven't I heard/seen this before? Is there anything 2011-12 owners can do to get that 100% charge??
I wouldn't worry about it. It most likely has something to do with the fact that 2013+ LEAFs appear to charge to a slightly higher voltage than the earlier LEAFs. Also don't forget, that even on the '11-12 battery, 94-95% is a typical "100%" charge.

A '11-12 LEAF will charge to about 4.10V / cell maximum, but a '13+ LEAF will put in another 0.01-0.02V more and it will also spend a lot more time trickling power into the pack at low power.

So yeah, you don't quite charge charge up the pack as high as Nissan does in the '13 LEAFs, but I don't think you're missing out on as much capacity/range as you might think - a few miles at the most.

I doubt you are going to have a choice of anything but a 24Kwh battery...

Evoforce said:
I know if I don't make the warranty with my 71% 10 bar car, and I have to buy a battery, it is going to be the largest Kwh battery at that time, I can buy. :)

cwerdna said:
hobbyguy said:
Has anyone on this thread actually paid for a new battery? I lost bar 4 at 62,000 miles and Nissan basically said tough luck. I have only 4 white and 2 red left now at 74,000 miles.

Out of curiosity, do you have LeafSpy readings? (e.g. Ahr, SOH, Hx and how many gids at 100% charge)

Sorry. I purchased on Jan 5, 2011. #195 on VIN but dealer thought we were #11 delivered. Purchased new

I do not have LeafSpy. I should invest? Yes, 6 bar remaining.

hobbyguy said:
cwerdna said:
hobbyguy said:

Sorry. I purchased on Jan 5, 2011. #195 on VIN but dealer thought we were #11 delivered. Purchased new

I do not have LeafSpy. I should invest? Yes, 6 bar remaining.

Do you remember the month/year and mileage when you lost the 6th bar? How about the month/year mileage for the 5th and 4th bars also?

6 bar loss, June 2015 74,000 miles? (correct as needed)
5 bar loss, June 2014 68,000 miles? (correct as needed)
4 bar loss, June 2013 62,000 miles? (correct as needed)

And can you tell us the mfg date on the door jamb label. Is it Dec 2010?

hobbyguy said:
... I do not have LeafSpy. I should invest? Yes, 6 bar remaining.
Yes, you definitely should have LEAF Spy Pro.

I have driven the 2011 LEAF a few months less than you have and for 28,000 miles.
When I finally got a smart phone in early 2014 LEAF Spy Pro was one of the first things I bought.

Made a world of difference in usability of the vehicle.

Now that I have lost three capacity bars and lucky to have 15 kWh Remaining when fully charged, the vehicle only meets my needs because I have LEAF Spy Pro.
It would not with just the limited built in 2011 LEAF instrumentation.

If you only have six capacity bars left, you definitely need LEAF Spy Pro.

If you don't have a smart phone, you can purchase and use a non-activated Android phone for less than $40.

LEAF Spy Pro is also now available for less than $20 for iPhone for use with Wifi OBDII adapter.

thank you for your advice, I think i will get the Leaf Spy and see where I am really at. Car MFG 11/10 on the door jamb.
I have 70,064 as of tonight with 4 white and 2 red bars left.

6 bar loss, Feb 2015 69,000 miles?
5 bar loss, June 2014 65,000 miles?
4 bar loss, August 2013 62,000 miles?

My daughter is driving the car daily to school and practice, we do not have quick charger
and for first 60,000 miles I charged level 2 at night and level 1 during day.

At least by the 6 bars showing I can't make it 32 miles to work!!

I will let all know stats once I get Leaf Spy.

thanks

Back