The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roadburner440 said:
My loses seem to be going pretty steadily. Started the summer with 55.094ahr and as of today down to 50.081ahr at 34,580 miles.
Wow!! :shock:

You've dropped nearly ONE-THIRD of your total capacity loss during just this summer! That's a lot.

By comparison, I was at about 53.5Ah before the summer started and I am sitting above 52.5Ah right now, so less than 1/5 of the losses you are reporting.

RegGuheert said:
Wow!! :shock:

You've dropped nearly ONE-THIRD of your total capacity loss during just this summer! That's a lot.

By comparison, I was at about 53.5Ah before the summer started and I am sitting above 52.5Ah right now, so less than 1/5 of the losses you are reporting.

Yeah I've been driving the car hard since I have been on shore duty. The first 3 years I had it I spent about a year of that deployed, and as such the car sat around quite a bit since my wife didn't like it at first. Once the Volt left last year, and I came back from deployment it pretty much gets driven 7 days a week. Most days we high five in the mornings, and as soon as I pull in the driveway she gets in and leaves for her work. So there is no rest for the wicked. :twisted: I will say other than the battery the car is holding up relatively well at least.

I have been studying used Leafs for a couple of years. Now that I am ready to buy a used one I am just STUCK.
How to decide between an 2012 SL and a 2013 SV... assuming both are $9500 , 12 bars, and good with Leaf Spy ?

Seems like the general trend of opinions are:
11's and 12 have better Japanese build quality.. and less problems

13's have heatpump and faster charger, and likely another year of bumper to bumper warranty, and battery warranty

( assuming milages are equal)

My big thing is wanting a White/Pearl car because of heat considerations,

And a little voice keeps saying.. don't get a car without QC... especially if it has the 3.3 kw charger.

Lastly.. we have 8-12 miles of windy pot holed roads between our house and anywhere... so I gotta have a better tire choice than
ecrapias. Used car lots want to slap anything cheap on..

-- And on the battery thread... when you show up at a LOT.. the car can be in almost any state of charge... and the task is to make sense of the battery condition with Leaf Spy.. How Do I Do THAT !!

I don't know how to use the LeafWings.. History Thingus.. will that help.. and how do I learn ??

blimpy said:
-- And on the battery thread... when you show up at a LOT.. the car can be in almost any state of charge... and the task is to make sense of the battery condition with Leaf Spy.. How Do I Do THAT !!

AHrs, SOH, and Hx are always shown at maximum values irrespective of the state of charge, so no worries there. You just have to know what AHrs mean in terms of capacity loss.

Knowing the full AHr value on a fresh pack is helpful - 2011/2012 is 65.6AHr-66.25AHr, depending on who you ask. I don't know about the 2013 without searching for it - along with knowing at what AHr reading capacity bars are expected to be lost:

Loss of bar 12 - between 54AHr and 55.5AHr
Loss of bar 11 - between 50AHr and 51.5AHr
Loss of bar 10 - between 46AHr and 47.5AHr
Loss of bar 9 - between 42AHr and 43.5AHr

MW.. thanks ! As Mickey Spillane probably says: " I'll make a note of that". Put it in my handy little reference book to take with me.

What is Hx ? How do I find records of temperature extremes and QC's.

Zeroing in on this thing !

Have Leaf Spy and the Elf thingus.. just haven't used them on a Leaf yet.

thanks for the help... you've done well in that relatively hot locale.

larry :)

blimpy said:
What is Hx ? How do I find records of temperature extremes and QC's.

Number of QCs and L1/L2 charges is on the same screen as the other data (graph screen showing individual cells).

Hx is what used to be called "Health" - never really taken the time to understand what it is personally, I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere.

blimpy said:
... What is Hx ? How do I find records of temperature extremes and QC's. ...
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17482.
As battery condition degrades the pack resistance increases, or more technically correct the electrical specific conductance (ESC) decreases.
TickTock generated a very good curve fit using ESC, and SOH which appears to be proportional to AHr capacity, and temperature.
Lowest Hx reported I saw was 36 for TickTock's five capacity bar loss LEAF.

If the LEAF keeps a history of past battery temperatures I don't think anyone has figured out how to extract that information.

RegGuheert said:
That P3227 update is certainly a confusion in this case. I'm convinced it takes a very long time for readings to stabilize after that update.

That's why I did that update way back when it first came out. Trying to drop my 4th bar before the summer is out (just above 44 AHr now).

Stanton said:
That's why I did that update way back when it first came out. Trying to drop my 4th bar before the summer is out (just above 44 AHr now).
It looks like you have exactly one year left (and quite a few miles), so it looks like you will win "LEAF Battery Bingo". Hopefully your current range will get you through the winter. If so, a new battery next year seems almost ideal.

thanks.. esc sound like inverse of pack resistance.. figures these things would track... wonder if Nissan can access over temp events ?
seems like this is something you really want to know when buying a used leaf... I know under 10k is chump change for many.. but not for us !

mwalsh said:
Don't forget to ask for the IC card with the pack ID on it!

Can you point me to the tread with the IC card/pack ID information.

I got 5 stars across the board on the battery report. :lol:

pchilds said:
mwalsh said:
Don't forget to ask for the IC card with the pack ID on it!

Can you point me to the tread with the IC card/pack ID information.

This very thread, but back a few posts:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14102&p=404109#p404109

I keep reminding folks about it, but nobody is yet reporting that they've been given the card or refused when they've asked for it. So any of a few possible things may be true:

1) Folks are too embrarrased to ask for it.
2) Folks are forgetting to ask for it.
3) Folks are asking for it, but are too embrarrased to report when they've been refused.
4) There is some kind of NDA prohibiting folks from discussing the situation when it comes to this particular item.

mwalsh said:
I keep reminding folks about it, but nobody is yet reporting that they've been given the card or refused when they've asked for it. So any of a few possible things may be true:

1) Folks are too embrarrased to ask for it.
2) Folks are forgetting to ask for it.
3) Folks are asking for it, but are too embrarrased to report when they've been refused.
4) There is some kind of NDA prohibiting folks from discussing the situation when it comes to this particular item.

My bet is on #2, there is likely a sizable release of endorphins associated with getting a free pack causing the state of light euphoria, so it is very easy to forget about such small things ;)

I've been told by a expert Nissan battery technician that they will not give those cards out that they are instructed to send them back to Nissan. I asked specifically if there's any way to get them and he said no not unless a person is willing to lose their job over it. Nissan is emphatic about getting those back.

Evoforce said:
I've been told by a expert Nissan battery technician that they will not give those cards out that they are instructed to send them back to Nissan. I asked specifically if there's any way to get them and he said no not unless a person is willing to lose their job over it. Nissan is emphatic about getting those back.

I had a feeling it would be something like that.

Thought I'd share quick about my battery replacement. Capacity was dropping real fast after I bought my used 2011 SL. The dealer that had it got it from CA and it ended up in TX. Not a Nissan dealer just a private small lot dealer. He let the car sit for months with a nearly dead pack as best I can tell.

I got the car 19 Aug 2014 with 31,787 on the clock. Paid 13,899 for it. Capacity bars were at 10 if I remember. Started driving it 70 miles a day and charging at work. Bars dropped steadily down to 7 over the next few months. I read threads on here and took it in to get evaluated for capacity warranty.

My closest Nissan dealer didn't know a thing. Tried to tell me it had to be less than 7 bars to qualify. I took it to the next city and that dealer got right on it. Dropped off the car and by that afternoon they called and said a new battery was on the way. Picked up the car and it took about 6 weeks to get the new battery but when it came in and they changed it out. Zero dollars for me and have been driving with 12 bars to this day. :D

I asked when I had my battery replaced and was told that it had to be returned to Nissan along with the old battery...

mwalsh said:
I keep reminding folks about it, but nobody is yet reporting that they've been given the card or refused when they've asked for it.

Back