The cost of a blown tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KillaWhat said:
I got a chance to use my Pep Boys $7.99 tire repair kit today.
All right. I've put this off long enough. I'll stop on the way home and get one, and grab a pair of pliers to add to my in car kit.

davewill said:
KillaWhat said:
I got a chance to use my Pep Boys $7.99 tire repair kit today.
All right. I've put this off long enough. I'll stop on the way home and get one, and grab a pair of pliers to add to my in car kit.
Me too - tomorrow. But, darn, Pep Boys wants $8.99 in Puyallup. :eek:

Okay, add me to the get a flat at an inconvenient spot club.

Last Friday, I was going hiking in Topanga State Park near dusk, parked, and my buddy got out and said, what is that hissing noise. Rear wheel. Had driven over metal in ground with sharp spike. Never had any intention to use the goop at all. Reading all this clarifies what I thought.

Rushed back to Froggy's Cantina with a hissing tire where we could park overnight if necessary--and of course--eat. Anyway, arrive tire half empty, call Nissan Roadside, and they are willing to tow only to the nearest Nissan Dealer. Aaargh. I live in Santa Monica, so that would be the Valley or Downtown. Not budging on a different tow location. Politely hang up to call AAA. I don't have platinum, so the tow is only good for 7 miles; it is gonna run me another $80 or so... BUT, my buddy does have platinum. So, he sets that up and we get salads and quesadillas.

Chris, the AAA Driver shows up with flatbed, and we go to Discount Tire in Santa Monica, drop car and gives me a ride home. 24.95 later on Saturday morning, the LEAF is back roadworthy with a patch.

The thing is even if I'd had a plug kit, is the source of the leak was unclear. When fixed, they removed the tire from the wheel, and put the patch on the surface. Isn't that better than a plug...

Anyway, maybe a spare tire, jack, is not such a bad idea for some ventures...

I've still got a ways to go to catch Tony, but our Leaf just tallied up it's second flat in 10,000 miles. The discouraging part is that this was also our second tire loss. The first was a cut sidewall from a pothole; this second was a 2" slash from the corner of the tread up the sidewall from an unknown piece of debris on the road. Our daughter was driving and was able to go the remaining quarter-mile to school after the low pressure light came on.

As with the first flat, there were no replacement tires in the area, so one has been ordered. The difference this time is that I took the flat to a tire store where they mounted a serviceable used Michelin to keep the car going until the new Bridgestone arrives. Total cost: $148, including tax, CA tire excise and disposal fees, mounting, etc.. Oh yes, and to add insult to injury, the tire we lost was the same new replacement we got last time. If we can avoid any more tire losses, this newest one will become the garage spare when the other three wear out and we mount four new Michelins at Costco.

In the meantime, we'll be monitoring progress with Tony's under-trunk mount. (Nudge, nudge. . . ;) :) )

HighDesertDriver said:
In the meantime, we'll be monitoring progress with Tony's under-trunk mount. (Nudge, nudge. . . ;) :) )

I spent 6 weeks waiting for the next batch of cranks. Lots of crazy problems, and they arrived days before I went to Italy, where I am now. So, it's on the list, and I intend to make a larger batch when I get home later this month.

You can get an Altima spare wheel and jack now.

JimSouCal said:
... Chris, the AAA Driver shows up with flatbed, and we go to Discount Tire in Santa Monica, drop car and gives me a ride home. 24.95 later on Saturday morning, the LEAF is back roadworthy with a patch.

The thing is even if I'd had a plug kit, is the source of the leak was unclear. When fixed, they removed the tire from the wheel, and put the patch on the surface. Isn't that better than a plug...
Sure, I'd only attempt the patch if I could see a reasonable chance of success and a tow to the tire shop wasn't a better choice for some reason.

TonyWilliams said:
- DO NOT use tire puncture sealant as it could damage the sensor..

So you are saying that the kit provided by Nissan will destroy the tire sensor? Anyone else infuriated by that?

Volusiano said:
LEAFfan said:
Volusiano said:
Next time, I'd rather just call for a free tow on Nissan's dime to a dealer so that the only thing you'd have to pay is the over-priced tire. No TPMS replacement and no restored repair kit.

I wouldn't be towed to a dealer and pay for the over-priced tire, but would have them tow me to Discount Tire...much less expensive.
I thought that the limitation of the free tow coverage offered by Nissan is that you can only have your Leaf towed to the nearest dealership only.

That would be ironic. My nearest Nissan dealership is so far away that I could not make it home on the battery range!

harrier said:
TonyWilliams said:
- DO NOT use tire puncture sealant as it could damage the sensor..
So you are saying that the kit provided by Nissan will destroy the tire sensor? Anyone else infuriated by that?
I believe the correct term would be "may", not "will". But given the high cost, and free towing alternative, it wouldn't be worth it in most cases even if the probability was fairly low.

I'm not infuriated; only a bit saddened and wisened up. Nissan is hardly alone in doing this. All the manufacturers are trimming every pound possible from their high-mileage rated cars to try to try to boost the mileage. Spare tires, even compact spares, are fairly heavy. Nissan, and others, are simply trying to provide an alternative so that a flat will be less likely to leave you stranded. Edmunds says repair kits instead of a spare tire are standard in 14 percent of the current vehicle models available.

Ray

harrier said:
Volusiano said:
I thought that the limitation of the free tow coverage offered by Nissan is that you can only have your Leaf towed to the nearest dealership only.
That would be ironic. My nearest Nissan dealership is so far away that I could not make it home on the battery range!
Well, that is what the Warranty Information Booklet says:
Depending on the type of vehicle problem you are experiencing, the Roadside Assistance Representative will determine the appropriate roadside assistance and/or flatbed (towing) service to be dispatched. In most cases, minor disablement services such as lockout service, etc., can be performed on-site so that you can be on the road again as soon as possible. There is no charge for the dispatch of on-site or towing service. Any charges for the replacement of keys or nonwarranty items will be your responsibility at the time of the repair or service. Whenever possible, flatbed (towing) service will be dispatched for mechanical disablements or accident/collisions which render the vehicle inoperative. There is no charge for the towing service. Roadside Assistance will arrange to transport the vehicle to the nearest Nissan LEAF certified dealer.
On the other hand, I recall seeing several posts on this board where people were towed free of cost to some place other than a dealer. I imagine they were situations where the alternative requested was closer than the nearest dealer. My only personal experience was with a sidewall rupture (definitely my fault) that occurred 15 miles from home and 1 mile from the nearest Nissan dealer. I opted to use one of my AAA tows because I expected that there would be additional cost if I asked Roadside Assistance to tow me home.

Ray

Those tire fix kits are a compromise and that has always been true. It is nothing more than pea e of mind in any case and NOT recommended as a permanent fixON ANY CAR. and yes, it is highly likely to ruin the tire requiring replacement. Tire are expensive but many will elect it derterming the cost to be insignificant compared to their family's safety

Just had to replace second tire in 3 months. First, blown sidewall, no reason for it. Second, large triangular metal piece through side and sidewall.

The biggest problem is no one in the entire county stocks tires for the LEAF. It took 2 days both times just to get the tires. :evil:

Also, they are not cheap - $150 each. :eek:

Spindoctor said:
Just had to replace second tire in 3 months. First, blown sidewall, no reason for it. Second, large triangular metal piece through side and sidewall.

The biggest problem is no one in the entire county stocks tires for the LEAF. It took 2 days both times just to get the tires. :evil:

Also, they are not cheap - $150 each. :eek:

Highest density of LEAFs in the country and no one stocks them? around here, Firestone (Goodrich owner...) now stocks them. did not take them long to figure out that the sidewalls are weak. I have replaced two. one cut sidewall, the other developed large bubble on sidewall. i drove it around for 2 months before swapping it out. probably would have lasted 40,000 miles knowing my luck... and no, Firestone aint no bargain either.

Back