The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^
Regarding resetting of the capacity bar indication, there have been many posts about it. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=327296#p327296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is one.

Re: the GOM readings, the GOM sucks and is supposedly worse on the '11s and '12s than the '13+ Leafs.

As for miles/kWh values, you can reset that yourself, along w/most of the other readings in the b&w dash display.

I'm not familiar w/the weather in Thousand Oaks, but from http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/91362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the Leaf's age and mileage, I'm guessing it's on the verge of losing a capacity bar if it hasn't lost 1 or 2 already.

uglyduck said:
Hey.... thanks for all the info - noobs need that kinda stuff...

Lease return? What model year? Where did the car previously live (from a Carfax and/or AutoCheck report)?

A 2011 owned 3 yrs 2 mo in Thousand Oaks, CA. Its probably been through some hot summers, but shows no signs of sun damage (or premature battery degradation).

Thousand Oaks has moderate average summer temps (82 average August temp) but they can get 100+ temps on occasion.

12 GOM bars? How many capacity bars are left on it? You want to look at the thin bars all the way on the right.

There are 12 capacity bars on the right that match up with 12 bars just to their left (when fully charged). As I drive, the 12 capacity bars on the right remain static as the bars on the left diminish. I just drove 13 miles on a 100% charge. The bars originally matched 12 & 12 & the "miles left" display suggested 113 miles remaining. After 13 miles, there were 10 bars on the left, 12 bars on the right & the "miles left" display said 100 miles left.

Keep in mind that the first bar is not linear. You will not lose it until the battery's capacity drops to about 85%. Subsequent bars are worth 6.25% each.

If you have all 12, hopefully it wasn't due to an unscrupulous dealer resetting it. If so, it'll eventually go to what it should read.

Hey! It never occurred to me that they might reset it! That would be unscrupulous! When I first got the car 6 days ago, a display on the dash said "Average Miles per kwh 3.4." Now it says "3.5."

Your "Energy Economy" figure is not affected by battery degradation, anymore than how full your gas tank is will affect MPG (ignoring the weight of the fuel itself). If a certain stretch of road uses x amount of kWH, it will do so whether or not you have a brand new car or one that's lost 4 bars.

RonDawg said:
Your "Energy Economy" figure is not affected by battery degradation, anymore than how full your gas tank is will affect MPG (ignoring the weight of the fuel itself). If a certain stretch of road uses x amount of kWH, it will do so whether or not you have a brand new car or one that's lost 4 bars.
Actually it might be affected somewhat, although it's hard for me to know how much. As a battery degrades, its internal resistance increases, so more energy going into/out of the battery will be lost as heat.

If the effect is very small (I have no idea), then it might not even be noticeable except under controlled tests.

For the time being (at least in my book), it's essentially worthless to use that as a judge of degradation and there will always be better means to do so.

cwerdna said:
from the Leaf's age and mileage, I'm guessing it's on the verge of losing a capacity bar if it hasn't lost 1 or 2 already.

The graphs & numbers & stuff on http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; agree with you. Kinda seems like this car should have dropped a capacity bar by now. I wonder if there's some way to track down if somebody hanky-panked it before they sold it to me? First I guess I gotta get the battery tested to determine its true condition.

The SD card arrived today. I reset the "mi/kwh" on the middle console screen & watched for some charge bars to roll by. Two of them disappeared within a range of 17.3 miles while averaging "5.4mi/kwh" on the center screen. A linear extrapolation of the distance traveled during those 2 bars to all 12 bars works out to 104 miles. That matches up with the low extreme of the predicted range of a new Leaf @ 5.5 mi/kwh listed on the page cited above. I just pretended that I could make a linear extrapolation from two data points to the entire range... but if I could.... its a ball-park indicator that my car is about to drop a capacity bar because it barely makes the low end of the predicted range for a new Leaf @ 5.5 mi/kwh.

P.S. Curious.... one of the cars tested on Tony Williams Tempe range test appears to have a serial # similar to mine. The Leafs tested are labeled with a color & a number. If those numbers are serial numbers, then both my car & a test car from San Diego both have the # 782.

I just got my first Leaf on Friday! We managed to get in with the great incentives that Nissan was offering in June. We've got the SV, Gun grey, black interior, which is just what we wanted! :D

Picked up my Leaf last Friday. 2015 S, white with charging package. Ordered my Level 2 EVSE from Amazon on Thursday while I was waiting in the dealership, and installed it on Saturday. Did a 3 year lease with 15k miles. Absolutely loving this car!

gatedad11 said:
Squirrel:

Could you post the details, as well as your location?

Thanks,
Lou

Sure! Its a Black exterior with black interior. I got it for $243/mo with my trade in (10 year old car that I was afraid would need fixing soon). I live in the greater Seattle area.

Hello all.

Just bought my leaf today. I'll be driving it in a couple of days. Ordered a focus but ended up canceling it. Fords stuck in the mud at the gate.
Haven't named it yet. It's a pearl red 2014 SL with 18 km on it. Level 2 garage charger is installed and ready to go. Really looking forward to my first commute to work. :)

Zurc.

Just leased a 2014 Black Leaf SL with the Premium Package. 3 years, 36K. $2500 all-inclusive drive-off, $209 + taxes (VPP pricing). Got a $680 maintenance package, which I guess we could have avoided but considering the good deal (right?) we got overall, is not too bad.

Excited about getting to drive an electric car and figuring out how to do it best, from the veterans here.

We picked up the SL today and I'm having fun figuring out all the bells and whistles this thing has.
Need to cruise through all the books and spend some time getting familiar with it.

First mishap occurred today during pickup when the sales guy used a socket mounted to a battery operated drill to put the screws in the license plate holder.
It works great for getting the screws out but one needs to have that special touch to avoid stripping out the plastic holder which the sales guy didn't have.
One of the mechanics came out and replaced the machine screws with some sheet metal style screws and all was good again.

It seems like the license plate holder gets the least attention on most cars. We pay ridiculous sums of money for plates only to have to mount them on flimsy plastic holders.
ok I'm Venting..

Next up was the winter floor mats. Or the lack of. I got a set as part of the deal to buy the car and they forgot to put them in. The sales guy went in and got them and brought them out still nicely wrapped up in the box and all was good again.

Paper work said 18km on the car. Odometer said 86km on the car. Dragged the sales guy back into the dealer ship and had him change the paper work. And all was good again.

Drove the nifty little buggy home, while my son figured out all the functions on the radio, and I figured out how to engage the cruise control. I'd push the button and the car would honk. Tried it again and the car honked again. Scratched my head and finally figured out that I had to push the button sideways and all was good again because the car didn't honk at me when finally, I set the cruse control. I didn't notice if anyone on the highway was paying any attention to the guy honking at them. In fact, I was doing my level best to ignore that possibility. I set the ECO mode on and it sure drags its tail end on start up. Tomorrow I'll try it with eco mode off.

I love the tap the button thing on the door to unlock it. Totally cool. As long as it continues to work ok.

I was disappointed to see incandescent bulbs used for the turn signals/emergency flashers. The LED's used on the rear brake lights however are incredibly bright. I'm wondering how long they will last before they start burning out. Hopefully Nissan has done the math and set the current limiting such that they are happy LED's.

One of the things I'm going to do as soon as possible is go around the car and check for unsnugged/loose/or whatever issues the car might have.

I'm also going to check the 12v battery voltage given that the car has been sitting around since March 2014 when it was built in Tennasee USA.
I also want to check the AC drain hose. I hate wet feet given that I don't have any duck in my DNA.

I'm not sure what else I should be checking for. I spent more time researching the Focus than the Leaf.

Over all it seems like a nice car and as long as it doesn't honk at me when I thumb my nose at the gas station on the way to work, then I think we'll have a great relationship. :)

Zurc.

Traded in for a 2015 SV this weekend. Might have been able to last another year the on old battery, but the price difference after rebates, tax credits, trade and that $1000 "loyalty" coupon closed the gap in price between replace battery and replace car. We'll be glad to have the faster charger and heated seats. Hope the lizard battery is not a snow lizard.

Our 2011 lost a bar last summer but still had not lost another in over a year and about 11K miles. It was down to 80% capacity though.

just picked up my 2014 S today, did not realize until after I got it home that the S does not have a quick charge socket, not that I ever planned to use it, ordered a clippercreek 20 amp 240 EVSE for it, time to finish hooking up the 240 volt outlet in the garage

I spent some time today going through the manuals.
looks like you pretty much need to take a course on how to sit in a car these days.
Air bags, weight sensors, on/off switches, pre-tensioners, crash sensors etc, all combine to make the car dangerous to anyone not briefed on all the intricacies of how to stay safe within the safety equipment of the car. kudo's on the car seat anchor points though. We needed them years ago.

I also spent some time driving around and it sure is nice.

I found a tire wrench along with the tire goop that messes up those lovely expensive tire pressure sensors if you use it.
Not really sure why or what the tire wrench is for, given that there is no spare tire. Perhaps the manuals will reveal all in due course of reading them.

Congrats to Kubla on your new toy. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.:)

Zurc.

Hi all -
I've been a proponent of EV's for a long, long time (20+ years maybe?).
When the Leaf was first announced, I knew that would probably be my next car.
I figured (back in 2010) that it would probably be about 2013, long enough to see some bugs worked out.
Saved out pennies for many years, starting with a jar on the counter (our first entry into the spreadsheet was $32 from the jar).
Fast forward to today, we have a 2015 all-black SL sitting in our garage for the first time tonight, plugged into our house.
A few random notes:
I asked the dealer if anyone ever asked to take the plastic off the vehicle, that I think it'd be kinda cool. And it was! It was like unwrapping a present! Recommended if the dealership will let you.
So I've driven it all of twice now and I have to say it's amazingly fun to drive. I love the torque curve when you floor it. Someday if anyone comes up with a "sport" mod for this, I'm all in.
B mode - I like it, you don't have to use the brakes!
The heat and air conditioning are better than I expected.
Comfortable driving position. I'm pretty pleased overall.

Another big reason we went with the Leaf is you all out here in the community of Leaf owners, it's been a huge help in feeling like we're making the right decision knowing that there's a community of believers out there.

Thanks all
Grant
Seattle

Woooot! I just got my white 2015 SL Leaf with premium package!

Such an awesome car. Love the zip and all the technology in it. The Bose sounds awesome and the 360 degree camera view is really neat. Went to dinner with the wife and let her drive back... good thing it's my main car and not hers. She'd be getting tickets left and right with her lead foot!

240v will be installed in the next 2-3 weeks after I get some quotes.

2014 SL+Premium from the dealer in Chevy Chase, Md. With 15 Leafs in stock (including eight new 2013s), they are ready to deal. Ask for Boyd or Greg.

14765121913_381170a2d2_b.jpg

Pardon the bird poop on the array. :D

Back