Tires and mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERG4ALL

I may have missed some discussion, but I don't believe that I have seen anything about the tires and how their rolling resistance affects mileage per charge. Because we have owned several sports cars, I am planning on pressurizing the tires to the max shown on the sidewall which would not make the ride rougher than we are used to. Are there any other tire options out there that would increase the range even further?

The car comes with low-rolling-resistance "eco tires".

Running them at proper pressure, and good wheel balance should do fine. And I wouldn't worry too much.

What else can you do? As you suggest, running near the max pressure may help a bit though you risk adverse tire wear pattern, and handling problems. Not sure if it's worth it from a safety standpoint.

If you want to be a fanatic, have a tire shop "shave" the tread. This will ensure maximum roundness and shorter tread blocks have less rolling resistance.

As stated, the tires on the Leaf are already very good LRR tires. Different tires won't significantly change the rolling resistance unless you shave them has Nubo suggests - but then you reduce tire life.

Also as Nubo and you suggest, inflating the tires to a higher pressure will reduce rolling resistance further.

In my experience with running significantly above the "recommended" pressures, but at or below the maximum on the tire's sidewall, it does help a bit and does not affect tire wear. In fact, it tends to reduce wear on the outside shoulders if you like to take corners quickly. :)

FWIW - on a car with a recommended pressure of 32 and a max pressure on the tire of 45, I tend to run pressures in the low 40s.

I too run my LRR tires overinflated - to the low 40's also. This is on the Prius where the ride is still pretty much the same and the mileage appears to be a few % better.

However - I've noticed both my OEM tires and those on my friends' Prius's are only going about 20k-25k miles. I think this has more to do with the LRR rather then the overinflation because we don't all overinflate, but are all only getting 20k-25k miles on the originals.

I wonder if the Leaf will do any better.

I got about 40k miles on my Prius OEM tires. The "overinflation" did not affect tire wear and should in theory actually reduce it as it will reduce heat buildup in the tire.

But how does the overinflation affect breaking distance? And other performance indicators (apart from the ride)?

I mean, there is probably a reason why it is called OVER-inflation?

LakeLeaf said:
I too run my LRR tires overinflated - to the low 40's also. This is on the Prius where the ride is still pretty much the same and the mileage appears to be a few % better.

However - I've noticed both my OEM tires and those on my friends' Prius's are only going about 20k-25k miles. I think this has more to do with the LRR rather then the overinflation because we don't all overinflate, but are all only getting 20k-25k miles on the originals.

OEM tires can be really good or bad at longevity it seems to me. Any idea on how replacement LRR tires last in comparison?
20k-25k seems rather low for any tire :(

Norway said:
But how does the overinflation affect breaking distance? And other performance indicators (apart from the ride)
Depends on the pressure you're using and the surface you're on. Manufacturer recommended pressures are a compromise. As long as you're not exceeding the sidewall max pressure, I would expect performance to remain similar. Cornering performance tends to increase as the tire deforms less so you keep more tire on the ground.

smkettner said:
OEM tires can be really good or bad at longevity it seems to me. Any idea on how replacement LRR tires last in comparison?
LRR tires are no different. Using the treadwear number on the sidewall gives you a rough estimate on tread life.

Personally - tires seem to wear about the same rate for me regardless even with some aggressive cornering thrown in. Maybe that's because I tend to run higher pressures.

drees said:
Using the treadwear number on the sidewall gives you a rough estimate on tread life.
Good point ! Anyone able to tell us the treadwear rating on the trires at the current "Drive Electric" tour ?

on my 2006 Prius i ran 42/40 PSI F/R and replaced them at 53,000+ miles. they were rated at 50K miles. i also rotated F-R every 5,000 miles as well

mwalsh said:
They are Ecopia EP422s. Rating is 400-A-A.
400! Wow. Excellent. Thanks.

DaveinOlyWA said:
on my 2006 Prius i ran 42/40 PSI F/R and replaced them at 53,000+ miles. they were rated at 50K miles. i also rotated F-R every 5,000 miles as well
What was the treadwear rating ?

LEAFer said:
mwalsh said:
400! Wow. Excellent. Thanks.

DaveinOlyWA said:
What was the treadwear rating ?

umm...hmm... dont know and they are gone. they were the OEMs that came with the car. they were rated as good for economy. not great, not bad. got Michelin EnergySavers A/S on there now.

smkettner said:
LakeLeaf said:

On my '90 Toyota Celica GT-S I could never obtain more than 28K miles with those low profile sport tires, and I was very conservative with them and kept the pressure where it was supposed to be. Also, they picked up every nail, screw, glass and anything else they could hold as I had a tremendous amount of patching done while in AZ. In the Midwest, never had a flat.

Performance and summer performance tires are soft compound for more traction and wear must faster.

mwalsh said:
LEAFer said:
Anyone able to tell us the treadwear rating on the trires at the current "Drive Electric" tour ?

Here's some info on them:
Treadlife Warranty: 5 Years / 65,000 Miles
Uniformity Warranty: First 1/32" of wear
Workmanship & Materials Warranty: 5 Years / Free replacement first 3 years, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth.
Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty: None
Manufacturer Warranty Brochure: Download PDF
Manufacturer Special Warranty: 30 Day Buy & Try Guarantee(1)
Additional Information: (1)full refund or exchange
Overall Tire Warranty Rating*: Warranty Rating 4.5 of 5 stars

There's also some good reviews you may want to read: http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Ecopia+EP422&fromTireDetail=true&tirePageLocQty=

Back