To charge or not to charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbil

I tried searching this but the search parameters didn't like the numerous results. So here is the question:

When should I recharge (outside of being really low)? If my commute only take 15% of my total range, is it OK to come home and recharge or should I let it get to a certain level before recharging?

Try the Google search (it's on the forum's search page). It works much better than the regular forum search. The short answer is set your car to charge to 80% and charge every night.

I think the consensus is that the battery will do better if kept in the middle range of charge, say 30% to 60%. If you did charge to 80% I wouldn't charge again until you get to three fuel bars or so. If you are willing to fuss with it you could set your charge timer to add the 15% you need each day and keep the car in the three to seven bar range.

All this assumes that you don't need more range than your usual commute because something unexpected comes up. But if your usage is predictable keeping the SOC lower can't hurt and might help with battery life.

I have one timer set for an hour and forty minutes (at midday for my solar). That adds enough charge for my routine trips to town. When I need to make longer trips I have the other timer set end-time-only, 80%, for about when I plan to leave. If I want more than 80% for a long trip I use that 80% end-time-only timer and then push the override button for an additional half hour to an hour and a half (at L2), depending on how much I need.

That sort of scheme may be too complicated for many but I find that it is pretty automatic for me after more than a year of using it. But, in answer to your original question, it might be best to keep the SOC lower by charging only a little every day or charging only every couple of days to 80%. Whatever works best for you.

dgpcolorado said:
I think the consensus is that the battery will do better if kept in the middle range of charge, say 30% to 60%. If you did charge to 80% I wouldn't charge again until you get to three fuel bars or so. If you are willing to fuss with it you could set your charge timer to add the 15% you need each day and keep the car in the three to seven bar range.

All this assumes that you don't need more range than your usual commute because something unexpected comes up. But if your usage is predictable keeping the SOC lower can't hurt and might help with battery life.

I have one timer set for an hour and forty minutes (at midday for my solar). That adds enough charge for my routine trips to town. When I need to make longer trips I have the other timer set end-time-only, 80%, for about when I plan to leave. If I want more than 80% for a long trip I use that 80% end-time-only timer and then push the override button for an additional half hour to an hour and a half (at L2), depending on how much I need.

That sort of scheme may be too complicated for many but I find that it is pretty automatic for me after more than a year of using it. But, in answer to your original question, it might be best to keep the SOC lower by charging only a little every day or charging only every couple of days to 80%. Whatever works best for you.

Thank you both. Has anyone figured out the normal life span of the Leaf battery yet?

Razorbil said:
Thank you both. Has anyone figured out the normal life span of the Leaf battery yet?
There is no simple answer to that question, but check this Wiki article for a great deal of good information: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss

In fact there is a tremendous amount of information that has been collected on the MyNissanLeaf Wiki. You will find it very useful to dig around there.

Ray

Razorbil said:
I tried searching this but the search parameters didn't like the numerous results. So here is the question:

When should I recharge (outside of being really low)? If my commute only take 15% of my total range, is it OK to come home and recharge or should I let it get to a certain level before recharging?
If you are very consistant about 15% every day then you can charge every 1 to 3 days to 80%. It is not a huge deal. If you have other stuff to do after the commute then by all means charge to 80% or even 100% every day.

Razorbil, what's your location? In hot weather, I personally make efforts to keep the SOC (state of charge) on the low side when possible. The combination of high temperatures and high states of charge seems to be particularly bad for battery life. If you need more charge, fine, but try not to leave the car sitting with a lot of charge for longer than necessary.

On the other hand, in cool weather, this is less of a concern.

abasile said:
Razorbil, what's your location? In hot weather, I personally make efforts to keep the SOC (state of charge) on the low side when possible. The combination of high temperatures and high states of charge seems to be particularly bad for battery life. If you need more charge, fine, but try not to leave the car sitting with a lot of charge for longer than necessary.

On the other hand, in cool weather, this is less of a concern.

Western North Carolina - low's in the mid 20's and highs seldom in the low 90's (75-80 norm).

I try to resist the temptation to charge if, when arriving home, my Leaf shows 80 miles or more of range in Eco with climate control off.

BEVeedom said:
I try to resist the temptation to charge if, when arriving home, my Leaf shows 80 miles or more of range in Eco with climate control off.

Thank you. I am seeing a wide variety of opinions (go figure :lol: ) when it comes to recharging. I see a few folks who just go home and recharge, regardless of their remaining charge, and others that take the more scientific approach. This is what led to my original question.

Add me to the list of those that charge to 80% every time I park for the day. The, sometimes, especially in winter, bump it to 100%.

davewill said:
The short answer is set your car to charge to 80% and charge every night.
This is what I did with my 2011 Leaf (Joulee3).. Finished 80% charge every morning around 6am, if I needed more then I hit the charge now (timer off) button to charge more during breakfast, shower etc.. I live in Irvine, OC summer in the 70s sometimes 80s winter 50s 60s. I usually had 6 temp bars showing except for a few months in winter when it was 5.

After 18 months and nearly 18k miles my range/capacity was down nearly 15% although I still had all 12 capacity bars.

YMMV

Razorbil; put your location in your profile.

the only real issue is the time it takes to charge and the possibility of "unexpected life". for me, it happens on a daily basis which is probably the result of having young kids.

as a blanket recommendation, just use the 80% charge. even if you dont plan to use more than that, if you ever do, you wont be caught with "your charge down"

your climate sounds ideal and guessing hills are an issue for you which can really kill your range. I know a PC'er who lives in your neighborhood and he deals with hills, random snowstorms (which he states used to be relatively rare but he has been hit with a few in recent years) and what not

so its like how often do you vary your schedule?
what is the longest regular trip you make?
what is the distance of longer regular trips you make?

if any of the latter 2 questions fall into the 40-60 mile range then I would LEAF it at 100%.

some people will tell you 80% but I highly doubt that charging to 100% then buzzing off at least half is worse than charging to 80% and buzzing off 75%.

best thing to do is create a driving log. write down time distance, etc of every trip you make. use your odometer and reset your trip meters daily. (dont do it for individual trips) and see what your mileage is.

most people dont judge their mileage very well and you might find some surprises

When you drop to five bars (at least with 2012's and most 2011's) you have about half of your battery capacity left. My rule is to plug in if I have five bars or less, or if I expect to be driving an unusually long distance the next day. That works for me because I drive an average of 20 miles per day. And, yes, I have my timer set to charge to 80% every day. If I'm planning a really long trip I override the timer just before I go to bed.

Ray

i charge to 80% most always.

on the daily commute of 25 miles each way -- a little more than 4 bars -- i charge at both home L2 and work L1.

so, i am charging at 6 bars daily at work and at home.
on weekends, i usually leave it there for errands around town, unless we are going out some distance. so it can get down to 3-4 before i will charge up late Sunday for the next week's toil.

occasionally, in winter, I will pre-heat, or charge to 11 bars before setting out in the AM. but i do that in the hour before i depart in the AM.
i dont preheat in the afternoon.

planet4ever said:
Razorbil said:
There is no simple answer to that question, but check this Wiki article for a great deal of good information: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss

In fact there is a tremendous amount of information that has been collected on the MyNissanLeaf Wiki. You will find it very useful to dig around there.

Ray

Thank you Ray.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Razorbil; put your location in your profile.

the only real issue is the time it takes to charge and the possibility of "unexpected life". for me, it happens on a daily basis which is probably the result of having young kids.

as a blanket recommendation, just use the 80% charge. even if you dont plan to use more than that, if you ever do, you wont be caught with "your charge down"

your climate sounds ideal and guessing hills are an issue for you which can really kill your range. I know a PC'er who lives in your neighborhood and he deals with hills, random snowstorms (which he states used to be relatively rare but he has been hit with a few in recent years) and what not

so its like how often do you vary your schedule?
what is the longest regular trip you make?
what is the distance of longer regular trips you make?

if any of the latter 2 questions fall into the 40-60 mile range then I would LEAF it at 100%.

some people will tell you 80% but I highly doubt that charging to 100% then buzzing off at least half is worse than charging to 80% and buzzing off 75%.

best thing to do is create a driving log. write down time distance, etc of every trip you make. use your odometer and reset your trip meters daily. (dont do it for individual trips) and see what your mileage is.

most people dont judge their mileage very well and you might find some surprises

Location added (also answered in earlier post in this thread).

My schedule varies by the day, miles vary by 30 miles from day to day.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance as I do not have a Leaf and/or manual to read yet, but what is this timer everyone keeps referring to?

GregH said:
davewill said:
The short answer is set your car to charge to 80% and charge every night.
This is what I did with my 2011 Leaf (Joulee3).. Finished 80% charge every morning around 6am, if I needed more then I hit the charge now (timer off) button to charge more during breakfast, shower etc.. I live in Irvine, OC summer in the 70s sometimes 80s winter 50s 60s. I usually had 6 temp bars showing except for a few months in winter when it was 5.

After 18 months and nearly 18k miles my range/capacity was down nearly 15% although I still had all 12 capacity bars.

YMMV

Thank you. You'll have to forgive my ignorance as I do not have a Leaf yet or a manual to study, but what is this timer everyone keeps referring to?

Back