Tony's Excellent LEAF Adventure

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
To get 140 miles of range, you need to achieve 6.7 m/kwh. Slim chances in the real world.

The best I've gotten so far is 6.8m/kW h on the dash on a six mile trip. I kept it around 38mph as much as possible and timed most of the lights to keep it in neutral on the power meter. I'm sure I'll be able to hit 7.0m/kW h also.

LEAFfan said:
evnow said:
To get 140 miles of range, you need to achieve 6.7 m/kwh. Slim chances in the real world.

The best I've gotten so far is 6.8m/kW h on the dash on a six mile trip. I kept it around 38mph as much as possible and timed most of the lights to keep it in neutral on the power meter. I'm sure I'll be able to hit 7.0m/kW h also.
That actually proves my point !

BTW, have you tried 30 mph ?

Once I get my SOC meter running again - I'll be doing some of these experiments. I can run a few miles on 30, 35 and 40 mph cruise control.

Its still to hot here in Phx to start my experimenting by adding the neutral option with coasting and no AC on..

Im just curios if anyone here thinks there could be a tickertape parade like Charles Lindbergh got in NY city,if anyone gets a 150 miles on one charge :lol:

I get very bored on my long trips to work and back so experimenting is a way to keep the boredom away..

LEAFfan said:
This is how Carwings ranked me earlier this month when I was experimenting with 25 mph driving using cruise control on city streets. I'm not saying that the Leaf is most efficient at this speed, but this came as a surprise to me. I would never have tried this, mainly because of the often-quoted higher optimum speed.

I'm sure that LEAFfan was one of the 31 people ranked ahead of me. I'm not nowhere near his driving efficiency :(

carwings_rank.png

surfingslovak said:
evnow said:
ps : I'm quite sure 30 mph is more efficient than 38 mph....I've been experimenting a bit and the best MPK readings were between 24 to 29 mph. I believe that the best number I saw was 6.4 or 6.5.

Well, we absolutely need 6.4 to make 135 miles, so whatever speed matches that is the magic number. Like many of us, I blindly assumed 38 to be "it".

If it's 28, then I can just argue "mis-print" !!!

:mrgreen:

Of course, if it is 28, whomever trys it is likely to die from either boredom or being read-ended! :lol:

TonyWilliams said:
Well, we absolutely need 6.4 to make 135 miles, so whatever speed matches that is the magic number. Like many of us, I blindly assumed 38 to be "it".

surfingslovak said:
This is how Carwings ranked me earlier this month when I was experimenting with 25 mph driving using cruise control on city streets. I'm not saying that the Leaf is most efficient at this speed, but this came as a surprise to me. I would never have tried this, mainly because of the often-quoted higher optimum speed.

I'm sure that LEAFfan was one of the 31 people ranked ahead of me. I'm not nowhere near his driving efficiency :(

When I just drive a few miles around on the plateau (not getting down/up the hill) - with speeds around 30 mph - I can easily get above 6 m/kwh. The same routes near 40 mph will bring me down to mid 5 m/kwh.

I've also tried in the past to cruise at 38 mph - with no noticeable improvement in m/kwh.

Back