Tracking ships !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning, like yesterday, the Andomeda Spirit is still at the Nissan dock/unloading area, and the Luna Spirit is still moored off-shore.

So, it may be at least several more days before we begin to see VINs from cars on the Luna Spirit.

garygid said:
This morning, like yesterday, the Andomeda Spirit is still at the Nissan dock/unloading area, and the Luna Spirit is still moored off-shore.

So, it may be at least several more days before we begin to see VINs from cars on the Luna Spirit.

I've got that page open (obsessive-compulsive, maybe a little), and as I look at it now, the Andromeda Spirit has gone missing. Anomaly, or moving down the channel?

The Luna Spirit is still moored outside.

EDIT: The Luna Spirit is moving... :D
EDIT: No, it's not. :-( It's icon is oddly different, however, a cross between moored and a moving vessel. And the Andromeda Spirit is back in place, too. :-( :-(

They sure didn't waste any time getting Luna Spirit in there once Andromeda Spirit pulled out of the harbor!

Andromeda Spirit is headed back to Yokohama - should be there on April 8th to pick up more Leafs!

Good to see that Andromeda Spirit has left port and Luna Spirit is moving into port. Any information on shipping of Leafs for East Coast delivery?
Separate ships, or is it possible that Andromeda Spirt and/or Luna Spirit may proceed to East Coast for Eastern market deliveries?
I've done several searches of MNL but not found much on East Coast deliveries.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Res: 4/20/10
Order: 11/19/10
Dashboard Delivery Projection: Month of May (Since wave of changes in Feb 11)
No change in dashboard or notification yet from Nissan post 03-11-2011
Ocean Blue, eTec

Tim:

Chattanooga, TN here also.

My LEAF is scheduled for delivery the week of April 25 to Hunt Nissan. VIN ends with 996. Nissan has emailed me that my LEAF left Japan the day before the earthquake and tsunami. I have also enabled Carwings, per their suggestion. Ordered 9/30/10.

Steve Schmidt

Tried to get a port tour at Los Angeles for early next week, as I was a long time supplier to Nissan. Earthquake and 3/31 being the end of the Nissan fiscal year will keep me outside and prevent me from posting any cool photos of our Leafs here, which I probably couldn't have taken anyway.

garygid said:
Do they unload on weekends?
Let's hope so, Gary! From my limited and dated experience, I am going to take a SWAG and say "Yes." My reasoning is as follows:
In my youth, I worked for a spell as a deckhand on a 100' offshore tugboat out of Long Beach, hauling an oil barge to the SB Channel off Ventura and filling it w/ crude from the oil fields up there, then transporting it back to the refineries in Long Beach. It paid well, but was the hardest dollars I have ever earned, and probably the most dangerous. The boat operated 24 hrs. per day, 7 days a week, and my shift was 14 days on and 14 days off. Large pieces of machinery like that are expensive to operate, and owners of them strive to keep them earning money and avoiding downtime to the greatest extent possible. This tug was a $4000/day operation, and it was tiny compared to a ship like the one transporting our cars. To minimize overhead, I'm sure every effort is made to expedite their movements. If the space is available on the docks for the cargo, and the labor agreements allow it, I'm sure that even the cost of overtime to unload would be "chump change" in comparison to what the boat could earn by getting on with the next delivery voyage.

My $0.02, usual disclaimers apply,
TT

ttweed said:
garygid said:
Do they unload on weekends?
Let's hope so, Gary! From my limited and dated experience, I am going to take a SWAG and say "Yes." My reasoning is as follows:
In my youth, I worked for a spell as a deckhand on a 100' offshore tugboat out of Long Beach, hauling an oil barge to the SB Channel off Ventura and filling it w/ crude from the oil fields up there, then transporting it back to the refineries in Long Beach. It paid well, but was the hardest dollars I have ever earned, and probably the most dangerous. The boat operated 24 hrs. per day, 7 days a week, and my shift was 14 days on and 14 days off. Large pieces of machinery like that are expensive to operate, and owners of them strive to keep them earning money and avoiding downtime to the greatest extent possible. This tug was a $4000/day operation, and it was tiny compared to a ship like the one transporting our cars. To minimize overhead, I'm sure every effort is made to expedite their movements. If the space is available on the docks for the cargo, and the labor agreements allow it, I'm sure that even the cost of overtime to unload would be "chump change" in comparison to what the boat could earn by getting on with the next delivery voyage.

My $0.02, usual disclaimers apply,
TT
Not to mention that dock space is valuable, too. I watched a fascinating show on container ship operations at Long Beach. It was a 3 day, 24hr, no stop in the action operation. They were fretting over any delay that would cause them to be even a couple hours over schedule. There are trains and trucks to load and unload, plus other ships waiting to get to the dock. I'm sure they don't take weekends off.

Well, when I was there watching before, I think they took at least a two (maybe three) hour lunch break.

And, it unlikely that the Nissan QC guys are working 24/7 to get the MANY cars ready for delivery.

Where the ship docks, it doesn't block any container operations, or other traffic that might need to pass by.

I think Dave has a good point about the cost of an idle ship. But I wonder if in this case, there is no need for the Luna Spirit to rush back to Japan for another load. Due to the earthquake, Tsunami and all, there may not be many cars in Japan to ship.

Ports:
Yokohama Oppama Oppama Wharf
Yokohama Kanagawa Honmoku Wharf
Long Beach Port

Nissan Facilities in Japan

Active Ships:
Hoegh Inchon - Last in Long Beach: 4/25, 3/6 - Dest: LOS ANGELES eta 6/7
United Spirit - Last in Long Beach: 5/10, 3/13 - Dest: DRIFTING AREA eta 6/2
Andromeda Spirit - Last in Long Beach: 5/14, 3/24, 2/18 - Dest: JP KND eta 6/7
Grand Cosmo - Last in Long Beach: 5/24 - Dest: JP YOK 6/7
World Spirit - Last in Long Beach: 6/1, 4/11, 2/25 - Dest: JP YOK 6/15
Triumph Ace - Last in Long Beach: 6/3 - Dest URAGA PS eta 6/21

Other Ships:
Luna Spirit - Last in Long Beach: 3/25, 2/19
Bergamot Ace - Last in Long Beach: 3/17
Frontier Ace - Last in Long Beach: 3/3
Grand Pioneer
Phoenix
Nichiryuu Maru
Sanderling Ace
Hoegh Africa
Pacific Spirit
Grand Champion
City of Oslo

Edit: Ship info updated June 7.

The next ship I am watching is the FRONTIER ACE
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=352283000

It was last in LA on 3/3/11. It left Yokohaman on 3/22/11 for Mexico. From there I want to watch and see if it makes a return trip to LA.

Are these ships taking anything back over to Japan? Or are they empty on the return trip?
Nissan was to have started operations at Oppama yesterday.

gascant said:
smkettner said:
gascant said:
Are these ships taking anything back over to Japan? Or are they empty on the return trip?
Nissan was to have started operations at Oppama yesterday.
Oh yes they load them with Volts ;)
ROFL!! Do they leave the tailpipes on?
Of course - that way the mufflers go to the bottom with the rest of the cars. :lol:

Back