Tracking ships !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ttweed said:
lonndoggie said:
Some of the crew getting in a little tow-in surf at Mavericks, perhaps.
:D
Good joke, but wasn't tow-in surfing banned in Half Moon Bay in 2008? Mavericks has an exception for contests and days you can't paddle in, I think, but surfers are dying from the lack of PWCs for rescue. Witness Sion Milosky's death last Wednesday.
Yes, PWC are banned under 25ft--but it's been bigger than that. Sion died on a huge day, and there were PWC in the water, but they weren't able to get to him, seeing his board tombstone after two big holddowns, and then...he was gone. Very sad. See Surfline's coverage for more details.

Sorry to turn this sad. I chose tow-in because it seemed even more ludicrous than having deck hands hop overboard and then paddle in.

Once again, I gotta put in those smileys! :D :oops:

ahagge said:
drees said:
Luna Spirit - Last in Long Beach: 2/19 - Dest: Long Beach eta 3/24
Andromeda Spirit - Last in Long Beach: 2/18 - Dest: Long Beach eta 3/22

Actually, it appears that the Luna Spirit has overtaken the Andromeda Spirit and is now due to arrive in Long Beach at around 11 AM PDT. I love it...a 500,000 ton horse race...pick your mount and root! :lol:
One of my totally made up theories about why cars might come in out-of-order sequence is ships leaving Japan first coming in to Long Beach last. Maybe something to that...

lonndoggie said:
drees said:
Luna Spirit - Last in Long Beach: 2/19 - Dest: Long Beach eta 3/24
Andromeda Spirit - Last in Long Beach: 2/18 - Dest: Long Beach eta 3/22
One of my totally made up theories about why cars might come in out-of-order sequence is ships leaving Japan first coming in to Long Beach last. Maybe something to that...
Definitely a surprise to see the Luna Spirit sneak in before Andromeda Spirit given the ETAs on them. But then Andromeda did do those figure eights yesterday off Half Moon Bay - and perhaps Nissan asked Luna Spirit to turn up the speed to get Leafs here more quickly because it has more Leafs on it? Or it's just another reason why Leafs are coming in random order and Nissan is looking for another way to piss off the early adopters. :p

FWIW: Luna Spirit was last seen in Yokohama dock on 3/11 while the Andromeda Spirit was last seen in Yokohama dock on 3/5. So out of order ships shouldn't account for more than a weeks delay in deliveries. Of course - who knows what happens when they get into port...

If I recall one of the recent ships that stopped in Long Beach stopped in New Zealand - so they definitely can take some detours along the way.

Pretty darn cool, through my binoculars I am pretty sure that I just spotted the Luna Spirit heading toward the gap between Catalina and the Palos Verdes peninsula. No other ships of that size on the Maritime Traffic map. So, it pretty much has to be it. It sure would be nice if I was looking at the ship with our Sept/Oct ordered on board.

EDIT - A closer look and it apears that Andromeda and Luna are side by side.

Beachcliffs said:
Pretty darn cool, through my binoculars I am pretty sure that I just spotted the Luna Spirit heading toward the gap between Catalina and the Palos Verdes peninsula. No other ships of that size on the Maritime Traffic map. So, it pretty much has to be it. It sure would be nice if I was looking at the ship with our Sept/Oct ordered on board.

EDIT - A closer look and it apears that Andromeda and Luna are side by side.

OK - my first impression was wrong, ship I was looking at turns out to be the YM Wealth and it appears to be a fairly dark colored vessel. Now, however, I can definitely pick out the Luna Spirit and Andromeda Spirit as they are due west of our house. The Nissan ships are much lighter in color and pretty much look the same. Can't read their names, but based on Marine traffic, I can see that Luna is a ahead of Andromeda, but not by very much. It also looks as if Andromeda is sligthly closer to shore (but also not by much).

Beachcliffs, lucky you watching from the coastline! I've been watching on the Maritime Traffic Map. Fun stuff. Hope to hear good news in the next couple of days... :D

Reserved Cayenne Red SL 4/20/10
Ordered 10/30/10
Delivery May(be)

Beachcliffs said:
I can see that Luna is a ahead of Andromeda, but not by very much. It also looks as if Andromeda is sligthly closer to shore (but also not by much).
Nice - too bad you don't have one of those cool binoculars with a camera built in. Looks like the Luna Spirit has slowed down to half-speed and the Andromeda Spirit is overtaking. They are about a half-mile apart right now...

Here's a link where you'll be able to see both ships and the Nissan dock:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=-118.2928&centery=33.7100&zoom=12

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=-118.2600&centery=33.7200&zoom=13

Andromeda Spirit is navigating the channel towards Nissan's dock.
Luna Spirit is slowing outside the harbor.

Will both dock at the same time? Or will Luna Spirit wait until the Andromeda Spirit leaves?

Thanks, you mad trackerz!

230025Z Mar 11 / 221725 PDT Andromeda Spirit is in the channel, abeam W 1st St, and heading for the Vincent Thomas Bridge. Luna Spirit is coming to port and appears to be lining up with the extended channel center line.

Bring On the Leafs!

Gack...took too long... Scooped by drees. :D

Beachcliffs said:
Besides hoping ours is on one of the two, now I am going to be even more greedy and state the preference that it be on Andromeda :p
Hate to say it, but the Penduarys are on Andromeda. The 'all others' are on 'moonie' at anchor. :lol:

Satellite maps are cool, but I'd love to be able to sit here and watch cars come off the ships and move around the parking lot!

AndyH said:
Satellite maps are cool, but I'd love to be able to sit here and watch cars come off the ships and move around the parking lot!
This one is pretty darn close! If someone could turn it about 30* to the right....

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/feature?section=weather/photos&id=5790343

Edit: Whoops - I see I forgot to include the link earlier.

drees said:
... the link earlier.
Aha! That makes more sense! I was trying to turn my head around the ship tracking map. :lol:

Too fun - I'll see if I can catch Luna when she sails through.

Thanks!

MarineTraffic.com Long Beach

Andromeda Spirit is still docked in port. Luna Spirit is anchored outside the harbor.

The Luna Spirit has an ETA of 2011-03-24 18:00 (UTC). That would indicate that the Andromeda Spirit will remain docked through the day and possibly until tomorrow morning before Luna Spirit gets tugged into dock.

So the original ETA that the Luna Spirit had was correct after all. Nissan must have known that the ships would have arrived at the same time - why wouldn't they have slowed the Luna Spirit down a bit to save fuel so it didn't sit idle for a day or two? Or was the Luna Spirit trying to sneak in before the Andromeda Spirit?

Back