Tracking ships !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Swan Ace is just now docking at Newport News (Norfolk). She should be unloading Leafs for the Atlantic Coast and Northeast shortly.

It looks like the Elegant Ace is another possibility for me. Left Oppama around November 26th and is at Jacksonville now. She's due in Norfolk on January 6th and Newark FAPS on January 8th. Chatted with Customer Support this morning and got the usual, "We don't know where it is, we can't tell you what ship or port, but you should hear something soon." Thanks for nothing.

My Nissan salesman told me yesterday that my car is already at the port awaiting a truck delivery. That must have been in NJ then.
We'll see!

The Elegant Ace is docked in Norfolk (Newport News) this morning. When it rains, it pours Leafs for the Atlantic coast and Northest!

relytgerg said:
The Elegant Ace is docked in Norfolk (Newport News) this morning. When it rains, it pours Leafs for the Atlantic coast and Northest!

The Elegant Ace appears to be on its way to Baltimore. Is that a normal stop before Newark?

NYLEAF said:
relytgerg said:

The Elegant Ace appears to be on its way to Baltimore. Is that a normal stop before Newark?
Some ships skip Baltimore some stop there. I don't know why.

The Elegant Ace has cleared Delaware Bay and is headed up to Newark FAPS. She will probably be docking tomorrow morning. I don't know if they'll wait until Monday to start unloading.

Lately it appears VINs are often assigned while the ship is in transit to the USA. Although it's also been the case, sometimes, that VINs are assigned just after the Leaf hits US soil. There have even been a few cases where buyers have not received their VIN and get a call out of the blue from their dealer that the car has arrived.

What are the next ships after the Elegant Ace? With a "week of Feb 6" probably through FAPS Newark, I have a hunch my LEAF will be on one of them.

I am a "Week of Jan 20" and I'm without a VIN. I know it's +/- 7 days, but still...it makes me feel like the "Jan 20" thing is just a placeholder, and it's going to start drastically changing once that date rolls around. :(

essaunders said:
When are VINs assigned?

It varies somewhat, but my car that was delivered a month ago had its VIN assigned probably shortly after the vehicle was actually loaded ONTO the ship (more than a month before I actually took delivery). Another person in the same time frame didn't get his until immediately before he took delivery, but I think that was the exception.

tps said:
What are the next ships after the Elegant Ace? With a "week of Feb 6" probably through FAPS Newark, I have a hunch my LEAF will be on one of them.
The two sources I use are http://www.molroro.com/MOLVesselSchedule.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.hoegh.no/ikbViewer/page/hainternet/schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - These two carriers seem to deliver the vast majority of Leafs, and fortunately both have good web based tracking systems. According to these two sites the next ships for Newark FAPS are:
- Elegant Ace - 1/9/2012
- Utopia Ace - 1/15/12
- Hoegh Trident - 2/22/12

I didn't look at other ports. I believe New York vehicles will come via Newark FAPS. I've been told mine will come to this port by Customer Support. I've also been told mine will come the Norfolk (Newport News), Virginia by Customer support.

The consensus seems to be that the ship will arrive in port 1 to 2 weeks before your due date if everything is on-time.

It's possible there are other ships and other carriers I didn't find. If you have the time it's interesting to search the web for information.

If you want to find the current whereabouts, or most recent location when they are out of range, for any particular ship, go to http://marinetraffic.com/ais" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and search for it there. If it's out of range, you can click on the Vessels tab, then on Search All immediately below that, and enter the Vessel Name in the box at the left. Hit the down arrow to select the vessel and then hit enter. You'll be able to find the last know location and other information like next port.

Good luck!

I got a VIN about a month before my "week of jan 20"

I got it from the owners portal. Is that how people get them? Or is there an email?

essaunders said:
I got a VIN about a month before my "week of jan 20"

I got it from the owners portal. Is that how people get them? Or is there an email?
My dashboard has been steady at "Week of Feb 6" for some time now. Both "Enable Carwings" and "Own" are still crossed out. I'm guessing that my car will be arriving at FAPS Newark on the Utopia Ace on Jan 15 or thereabout.

Edit: Utopia Ace just came in range off the west coast of Mexico, last port was San Diego, looks as if it's making it's way toward the Panama Canal.

After spending a day out of range, the Elegant Ace is now docking at Newark FAPS. I assume she'll be unloading Leafs in the morning.

Still no VIN! :(

I chatted with Nissan CS, and they still had no information for me. They're going to call me once my account has a VIN. They did say that Week of January 20 means Jan 20 to Jan 27, and that if I still don't have a VIN by then, then yes, the date will start to be pushed back. :(

Back