Tracking ships !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fyi - Don't know what ship mine was on ultimately, but my Austin, Texas destined Leaf came through the West Coast. Final assembly point on window sticker was Los Angeles. The car arrived in Austin late night November 14th.

The Grand Orion has made it through the Panama Canal and is now docked at Manzanillo. She's scheduled as follows:
Jacksonville: 28 Nov 11
Newport News (Norfolk): 30 Nov 11
Newark - FAPS: 01 Dec 11

The Hoegh Trident is back in Jax. I don't know if this is normal. Maybe someone's Leaf got shoved to the back???

nogajim said:
The Hoegh Trident is back in Jax. I don't know if this is normal. Maybe someone's Leaf got shoved to the back???
It's not unusual for ships to come back to Jacksonville after loading, as well as unloading, in New York and Baltimore as the Hoegh Trident did. The Hoegh Autoliners web site does not show the schedule for the Trident after the 23rd, but I assume this was planned.

The Grand Orion may be a little late getting to Jacksonville. She was scheduled to be there tomorrow, but was schedule to leave Puerto Rico yesterday and she's still in Puerto Rico. So it looks like it will be at least a day's delay, if not more. After Jacksonville, she's scheduled to head up to Newport News (Norfolk), and Newark FAPS.

Keep checking your account, maybe yours is on this ship.

Has anyone seen the new Nissan Leaf commercial on Discovery Channel, featuring Mark Perry talking about the new ship Nissan just built, forgot the name, but it has a semi rounded front to reduce drag and lower fuel consumption... "why would a car company build a ship?", answer: "whynot"

mitch672 said:
Has anyone seen the new Nissan Leaf commercial on Discovery Channel, featuring Mark Perry talking about the new ship Nissan just built, forgot the name, but it has a semi rounded front to reduce drag and lower fuel consumption... "why would a car company build a ship?", answer: "whynot"

How about, Japan is an island and they build many more cars than can be sold in Japan. And the only other way to move the cars somewhere else for sale is an "air lift"

mitch672 said:
You can find it here if you haven't seen it.

The Progress Ace is in Newark today. She left Opama at the end of October. Hopefully there are Leafs being unloaded.

The Tranquil Ace is docked in Jacksonville today and did visit Yokohama a while back, but I don't know if she's carrying Leafs.

I just got a call from my dealer, who had been talking to Nissan CS, and he said they expect my car VERY shortly. Although my delivery date was moved a couple weeks ago from December 8th to the 19th, he is now saying that they are telling him 3 Leafs are on their way by the 10th, IIRC. Mine should be one of them, as I was his 2nd order.

Congrats! it may have arrived today and be at the port. The dealer should get the invoice on Wednesday or Thursday and then your LEAF will show up just a few days after that.

I guess this thread is as good a place to post this as any. I'm looking for feedback. I continue to be frustrated by Nissan's unwillingness to share detail like VIN and specific tracking information and I think I have a likely process that explains why this might be happening. It also seems to fit what I read in these forums and hear from Customer Support. This was all triggered by a change in status for me today from Month of 1/12 to Week of 1/20/12. CS tells me the car is either about to be loaded on a ship or is on a ship and this is what prompted the change in status. However, they still won't give me a VIN nor tell me what ship.

Here is what I think is happening - read this over and see if it makes sense. Again, I'd appreciate your feedback:
1. Cars that have been ordered, and maybe some extras go into a production run.
a. One would assume the VIN is created and affixed during this production run.
2. The run, or parts of multiple runs, is/are loaded onto a ship.
a. Around this time the Month of date is changed to a Week of date.
b. The ship load likely contains several vehicles that could become your vehicle. Who gets which vehicle has not yet been decided.
3. The ship unloads the correct vehicles for delivery at the appropriate port.
a. At this point in time the decision is made as to which VIN is assigned to which customer.
b. You are given the notification that you can activate CARWINGS and retrieve your VIN.

This seems to fit both my experience and what the majority of purchasers are currently experiencing from what I see on these forums.
There may be exceptions where, because of a combination of color and factory installed options, there is only ONE vehicle on a ship that matches a customer. In this case the customer might get their VIN much earlier than the 1 to 2 weeks before delivery that most of us are being told. There's also a slim chance that when the cars are unloaded and they figure out who gets which one, they come up short. This would explain some of the sudden big changes in estimated delivery dates.

Let me know what you think.

relytgerg said:
Let me know what you think.

Sounds reasonable to me up to step 3. I think 3a and 3b need to move up in your list and become 2c and 2d. In fact 3a may even move all the way up into step 1 now.

I agree this is not the way it used to work based on forum posts here. The thought was that you got Carwings/VIN around the time your car was unloaded.

But that is either not the case with me, or my car has been sitting at the dock for a LONG time! I think this experience is shared with others who have had (or are having) recent deliveries.

I didn't keep track of exactly when I went from "month of" to "week of", but when the vehicle is loaded onto the ship sounds like a reasonable assumption.

If my calculations are correct though, this is now also when you get Carwings/VIN: I got mine on 10/28, and if you factor in an approximately one month transit from Japan to the east coast, making its way up through JAX and Norfolk, unloading/prep, delivery to local dealer, etc. then my expected delivery of this week (technically my dashboard says 12/15 now, but until Sunday it had read 12/10), then I think my car was assigned to me at or around the time the vehicle was loaded onto the ship. This may be a relatively new phenomenon, but that's my experience. I don't have any options or accessories (other than floor mats) and my car color is Glacier Pearl, not one of the "fancy" colors (blue and red) that they said would take longer (although seriously, I've seen more of them than anything else and there are only 5 color choices anyway, so I'm not sure what the big deal about those colors is!)

Given your delivery change today, I would highly recommend you start looking for ships that are loading in Japan to figure out for yourself what ship its on so you can have fun tracking it for the next 6 weeks! And I would further expect your Carwings/VIN to open up for you very soon.

I asked for ALL the tags and sticker that came with the car:

On 9/9, the specs got locked and when the text that prompts when you click on "delivery information" on the dashboard started saying that the vehicle was set for production.

There was a tag labeled LEAF Kit dated 10/8 which could be from when it got officially put in line for assembly.

There were also two tags in Japanese attached to the windshield indicating what seems to be the production day (10/12) and loading day (10/18).

Carwings got active on 10/28, VIN assigned, and delivery updated to "week of Dec 2" (it later changed to "week of dec 11" on nov 18)

The car was unloaded from the Progress Ace on 11/29, the dealer got the invoice on 11/30 (that day the delivery status changed to "pending")

The dealer called on Dec 3 to to inform that the car had arrived

We took delivery Dec 5th

Back