Tree crushed my Nissan Leaf!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Your dash cam video captures your reaction nicely. Worried, but calm. It doesn't show the airbag deploying, was there a delay?
No delay. The steering wheel airbag didn't go off, just the two driver side ones. Airbag deployment was loud and left my left ear ringing for awhile. And it was smokey.

Oh, interesting tidbit. The firefighters asked me to turn off the car because they were afraid of being electrocuted (it was raining hard), but then asked me to put it into neutral so they could push it out of the way. I told them that for the Leaf, if I turn off the car, it gets out of the neutral mode and into park mode automatically. They didn't quite believe me at first and tried to push the car when it was off, and eventually relented to me turning the car back on so it could be put into neutral. Was I right, or is there a way to put it into neutral with the car off?

Oh, and after the impact, the Leaf refused to go back into drive mode, only Park and Neutral. Maybe it sensed the accident and disabled the drive functionality for safety reasons?

ybitz said:
It was purchased. I hope the eventual salvage buyer makes good use of the battery; I baby'ed the battery, for I thought I was going to keep the Leaf for a long time.

I'm thinking about getting the 2015 SV + QuickCharge package. In your opinion, is it worth splurging for the SL? How about the "Around View Monitor" upgrade?

wow you were lucky, that could have ended much worse for you. If I were you I would talk to the insurance company and see how much do they want for car buy back. my guess is much less than what the battery is worth...

Insurance company's offer to me for the actual cash value of the car is $16,200 ($17,500 after adding in sales tax). Does that seem reasonable for a 2011 SL-e (with quick charge) with 25k miles?

ybitz said:
Insurance company's offer to me for the actual cash value of the car is $16,200 ($17,500 after adding in sales tax). Does that seem reasonable for a 2011 SL-e (with quick charge) with 25k miles?

In Southern California the Leaf values ave super low. I was looking into getting a end of production RAV4 EV. The Toyota dealer did no want my 2013 SL Premium and CarMax offered 17K.

The Money may seem low but that's what it is. Will they offer you a replacement? Years ago when my 6 week old Legend was totaled State Farm offered a replacement.

No, they didn't offer a replacement.
I'm trying to find comparables online to see how much used 2011 Leafs are selling for, but none of the sites I used (e.g. Autotrader) differentiates between Leafs with quick charge and without. Makes it hard to compare :(

ybitz said:
So I was driving yesterday on the freeway, and a tree fell and crushed my poor Leaf!

dbWbmCN.jpg

I captured it on my dash cam too.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YaS0w4EXTY[/youtube]

The Leaf is totalled, but I walked away with only minor injuries.

I guess the leaf really wanted to be united with a tree.

Time to shop for a new Leaf?

WOW!! posting your story on Facebook. hope you don't mind

ybitz said:
It was purchased. I hope the eventual salvage buyer makes good use of the battery; I baby'ed the battery, for I thought I was going to keep the Leaf for a long time.

I'm thinking about getting the 2015 SV + QuickCharge package. In your opinion, is it worth splurging for the SL? How about the "Around View Monitor" upgrade?

up to you but considering your location I would not even pay for SV. an S with QC is all I would get especially now that B mode and cruise control are standard

Lasareath said:
I like the "Around View Monitor" but I don't have that. The dealer didn't know it existed and didn't buy it. I have a 13 which doesn't come with a rear-view cam unless you bought the audio upgrade which the dealer didn't realize either. But I have everything else.

I really Like the Leather seats. They are very nice and to me the 17" wheels make it look more sporty/sexier.

In my past 4 cars I've had Leather Seats, Sunroof and a 1000 watt stereo ;)

Sal

weird that the S comes with rear view camera and part of charge package. another reason I see no reason to pay for SV/SL upgrade if you live in the Southern regions.

ybitz said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Your dash cam video captures your reaction nicely. Worried, but calm. It doesn't show the airbag deploying, was there a delay?
No delay. The steering wheel airbag didn't go off, just the two driver side ones. Airbag deployment was loud and left my left ear ringing for awhile. And it was smokey.

Oh, interesting tidbit. The firefighters asked me to turn off the car because they were afraid of being electrocuted (it was raining hard), but then asked me to put it into neutral so they could push it out of the way. I told them that for the Leaf, if I turn off the car, it gets out of the neutral mode and into park mode automatically. They didn't quite believe me at first and tried to push the car when it was off, and eventually relented to me turning the car back on so it could be put into neutral. Was I right, or is there a way to put it into neutral with the car off?

Oh, and after the impact, the Leaf refused to go back into drive mode, only Park and Neutral. Maybe it sensed the accident and disabled the drive functionality for safety reasons?

from another thread there is this quote

LEARN how to put the car in Neutral without power (instructions are in manual, but it takes 2 people, and pulling some fuses)
from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if you could get to the fuses after the accident in your case or not.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shows

4-2 P (Park) Position Release Procedure
If you need to release the vehicle from the P (Park) position, proceed as follows. When power switch is turned OFF or 12V battery is low, LEAF automatically shifts to P position.

NOTE:
This procedure requires two (2) people.
1. To start the EV system with a booster battery, refer to 4. Jump Starting.
2. Turn power switch ON by pushing the power switch 2 times without pressing brake pedal.
3. Confirm parking brake is applied.
4. Close all doors and press and hold the brake pedal.
5. Place the selector lever in the N (Neutral) position.
6. Remove the following 2 fuses:
• F/L 40A PBW MTR (under hood fuse and relay box)
• METER 1 10A (in the cabin fuse box)
NOTE:
Insert a screwdriver wrapped with a protective cloth (A) into the slit (1). Pull to remove the fuse
box cover (2). Remove the fuse with the fuse puller (3).
7. Release the parking brake.
8. Turn the power switch OFF.
9. Release brake pedal.
Be sure to firmly position wheel chocks when P (Park) position is manually released.

4-2.1 Reset Procedure
1. Install the 2 fuses removed previously.
2. Turn the power switch ON and wait 5 seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Ensure selector
lever is in the N (neutral) position.
3. If 12V battery is low voltage, please charge with battery charger.
4. Turn the power switch OFF and wait 5 seconds.

that way if you did this you could actually leave the car off and in neutral to satisfy the firefighters concern.

Maybe every leaf should have a poster or pamphlet with this procedure in the frunk/glove compartment/cargo area so you could possibly pull it out and do this when the tow truck arrives or the firefighters ask you to. Or maybe just find this in the physical owners manual and pull that out when you need it.

Why not just have a pop-out stud next to the gear change that you flick out with a flat blade screwdriver, and insert a 6" pencil, or similar, to press and release? Just like most other autos! :?

They put so much wasted effort into making the creep and brakes feel like an ordinary car, why did they bother re-inventing that?

Wow and WOW! amazing video! Glad you're ok!
I'm guessing Park and Neutral are the only (powered) options after an airbag goes off..

I think the high-voltage system starts to discharge with the deployment of air-bags, though low-voltage systems can still work if the 12v is connected.

Here is the 1st-responders guide for the MY2011:

https://owners.nissanusa.com/conten...EAF/2011/2011_LEAF-first-responders-guide.pdf

I'm glad there were no injuries. I'm a bit surprised the front air-bags didn't deploy. Even at just 30 mph, you tend to get thrown forward from a sudden stop. I take it the seat-belts worked well, but branches and glass came very close to intruding from the front.

They need to make it easier to put the car in neutral and have power off. Maybe by turning off power while simultaneously selrcting neutral. Im sure nissan could program that.

Really glad you are ok.

I meant to print the '15 version of that guide and put it in the glove box but kept forgetting. This has reminded me and I'm printing it now.

ybitz said:
Sounds like the emergency high voltage disconnect automatically engaged - it appears that happens when the airbags deploy, see the first responder's guide posted above - so the firefighters had no worry. If worried, one can disconnect the emergency manual disconnect on the rear floor as well.

ybitz said:
That doesn't sound too bad to me. Have to remember that your effective cost was around $21,500 (plus tax) with the $7500 rebate and $5000 state credit at the time. Carmax has quite a few listed at $13,998 and cars.com also has a good number at $14-15k.

Couldnt you turn the car off and leave it in neutral simply by disconnecting the 12 battery while yhe car is on? Then there would be no power to change anything. How does the hv contactor work? Does it need power to stay on or is it magnetically held? If thats the case there is a danger the hv would remain on.

Back