(Un)Official Mitsubishi (Cypress, CA) L3 Scheduling Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
General L3 QC question: If I need to charge to, say, 90% instead of 80%, is it very easy to do with a QC unit (in particular, the one at Mitsubishi HQ)? Is it just a matter of hitting a button somewhere to start it back up again?

Also, how long does that extra 10% take? I understand that by the time charge level gets to 80%, the QC unit has significantly reduced its amperage. Would it be quicker to just disconnect from the QC and charge for an hour on a nearby level 2 unit?

ahagge said:
General L3 QC question: If I need to charge to, say, 90% instead of 80%, is it very easy to do with a QC unit (in particular, the one at Mitsubishi HQ)? Is it just a matter of hitting a button somewhere to start it back up again?

Also, how long does that extra 10% take? I understand that by the time charge level gets to 80%, the QC unit has significantly reduced its amperage. Would it be quicker to just disconnect from the QC and charge for an hour on a nearby level 2 unit?
If you read the manual, it states, in so many words, regarding charging, "don't top off". By that, Nissan is saying not to hook up to charge (presumably on a regular basis) the last 80ish per cent. I've done it a couple times, and the 1 year traction battery check showed I was fine.

ahagge said:
Yes, you just push the start button again after it stops at 80%.

Yes it slows down considerably at higher charge levels, but never to the point of being slower than L2. It's roughly 15 minutes to go from 80-90%.

hill said:
If you read the manual, it states, in so many words, regarding charging, "don't top off". By that, Nissan is saying not to hook up to charge (presumably on a regular basis) the last 80ish per cent. I've done it a couple times, and the 1 year traction battery check showed I was fine.
My interpretation of the "don't top off" guideline is not to get in the habit of charging from something above 80% to 100%. There should be no problem with charging to 100% from a starting point at 80% or lower in general, or restarting a QC session at 80% specifically. If you're really concerned, I suppose you could get to 100% by restarting the QC at some point after 50% and before it stops itself at 80%, not that that would actually do anything different to the battery.

asharpleaf said:
I have used the QC their four different times and talked to them about this. It is available any time. I have used it as late as 10 pm with no problem. It is sure nice to charge in 20 to 30 min. Bring your tablet and check your email or watch a movie.

I just spoke to the receptionist at MMNA who said that the level 3 EVSE is only available during business hours (8 AM - 5 PM M-F). Do you know who you spoke to that said otherwise?

And does anybody know if there's a fence or gate that would restrict physical access to their level 2 & 3 chargers, or do they simply power down the level 3 unit off-hours?

ahagge said:
I just spoke to the receptionist at MMNA who said that the level 3 EVSE is only available during business hours (8 AM - 5 PM M-F). Do you know who you spoke to that said otherwise?

And does anybody know if there's a fence or gate that would restrict physical access to their level 2 & 3 chargers, or do they simply power down the level 3 unit off-hours?
That might be what the receptionist says, but no one that I know of who showed up to use the unit during off hours has found it unavailable (at least not recently). There is a door that can be locked over the CHAdeMO connector, but I haven't ever seen it locked. If anyone else goes there and finds it locked at any time please post that information here.

My first visit to Mitsubishi CHAdeMO, I was greeted by Mr. David (technical engineer) at the charging station, very helpful.
There was 3 different version of iMiEV on site ,US, EU & Japan models and he explained the difference.
It took 31m14s from 2-bars to 80 % amazing FAST :shock: , 11.4kWh into the tank.
Thanks MITSUBISHI !!

Gonna try using the QC on a Saturday night enroute to the Staples Center from Irvine.
I'm hoping that reports here are correct that the QC is available 24/7. ;)
Just need a little extra juice both ways.

EDIT (Update): QC was indeed available Saturday at 6p [23 mins for 8.2 kwh from 148 gids (52.6%) to 242 gids (86.1%)]. This was apparently a busy time as 2 Leafs arrived soon after waiting for a little QC. We stopped by again at 11p. Both times, a security guard was near the main building. Apparently, the sight of Leafs at this location at all times of the day/week is already commonplace. Thank you, Mitsubishi.

Plan to make a stop there tomorrow at 7 am, hoping it will be open, not broken, and this is not a busy time so I don't have to wait in line :)

I had the chance to use the Level 3 twice over the weekend, once on Friday afternoon (during business hours) and once Sunday morning around 7:15 AM. It was available both days and no waiting. Cool!

I was hoping to use it Saturday morning as well, but was nervous after the receptionist told me "business hours only", so I drove in at 7:15 Saturday morning with my ICE (a Mitsubishi Evo IX) to check that it was powered up and that the locking door was unlocked. Everything was A-OK, so came back on Sunday and saved myself $25.00 in gas for the day.

Thanks, Mitsubishi!

I filled up yesterday morning, no issues. I was wondering if I should have checked with someone first before starting using it, but nobody came out yelling at me. If Mitsubishi has a more practical EV in their lineup than MiEV by the time I'm in the market for a new one I'll give it a higher priority on my selection list, this will be my way of saying thanks for the early support ;)

Made my first "pilgrimage" around 5pm today. It was deserted (well, I was surrounded by maybe 8 MiEVs) and everything worked as I had been led by prior posts to expect, from waking the touchscreen to attaching and detaching the CHAdeMO connector. Went from 5 bars (39 GOM) to 10 bars (78 GOM) in maybe 20 minutes - I didn't actually time the session. Started at 120 amps and I hit Stop when it reached 22 amps, after delivering 7.3 kWh. Finished my OC errands and got home to Whittier with 1 bar and 6 miles left, so it worked perfectly!
Kudos again to Mitsubishi for making this available.

Another data point - I charged this (Saturday) morning from 7:15-7:45 with no problems at all. In fact, as I was about done, forum member Devin stopped by for a charge. I had to do a "top-off" charge in order to be sure to make it home, so I waited while he QCed - we had a nice chat. He was on his way to the So Cal Branch LEAF meet - I wish I could have gone, but I had other commitments. Another 20 minutes on the QC and I was on my way.

Thanks again, Mitsubishi!

ahagge said:
Another data point - I charged this (Saturday) morning from 7:15-7:45 with no problems at all. In fact, as I was about done, forum member Devin. I had to do a "top-off" charge in order to be sure to make it home, so I waited while he QCed - we had a nice chat. He was on his way to the So Cal Branch LEAF meet - I wish I could have gone, but I had other commitments. Another 20 minutes on the QC and I was on my way.

Thanks again, Mitsubishi!
Aren't they great?!?
I missed the meet & greet today :( ... the PC got flakey last night ... and (but for 6hrs sleep) I've been working on it since. Hope all had a great time conversing and carb loading.

What a life saver, I able to charge to 11 bars by running the QC twice. One Leaf ahead of me in line :)

Thanks, Mitsubishi!

Back