USA Pro Cycling Challenge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremeflyer

The Nissan Leaf is the official car of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge, but with 4 out of the 6 stages over 75 miles and most of the stages have 7000+ ft of elevation gain, the Leaf couldn't even complete the course if it wanted to. This seems like a poor partnership on Nissan's part. I know they gave Lance the first Leaf and all, but it just seems like a better fit for a different vehicle (The Pathfinder or Xterra maybe?)..

I didn't even know about this until my neighbor (big cycling fan) tweeted it and even hashtagged it with #rangeanxiety..

Distance alone isn't be a problem at pro cyclist speeds. At 20-30 mph the LEAF will go well over 125 miles per charge.

Now with climbing it will be a problem, especially for any route which has a net elevation gain.

Looking at the routes, I would expect stages 1, 2 and 5 to present range issues.

Stage 1: 101.8 mi 6650 ft of climbing, end elevation ~2000 feet above start.
Stage 2: 130.4 mi 8753 ft of climbing, end elevation similar to start
Stage 5: 105.2 mi 6102 ft of climbing, end elevation almost ~3000 ft higher than start.

Good move Nissan! Im sure the cyclists will love not smelling exhaust fumes! =)
Most likely they will relay two leafs when needed, Which brings me to my point.

I wish Nissan would offer optional range booster extended battery pack option for
those that just need just a touch more range to be comfy with 10 or 20 extra miles.
Like lets say 10 or 15 more individual battery modules beyond the 48 standard modules
included under the Leaf, but inside a small trunk box or somewhere to get a little extra range
right from the factory for a little more cash. That would be a great option Nissan!

RikiTiki

It looks like the race ended just yesterday. Are they thinking of using LEAFs as pace cars next year?

abasile said:
+1. As an avid cyclist who has breathed too much smog, I'd love to get passed or followed by more EVs!

So, have you tried driving the LEAF with the rear hatch opened? Does it stay up when you are going 30-40 MPH? This could be a great car to practice drafting behind and doing sprint accelerations with. With the back opened, you get a full top to bottom air block, and can tuck in a few inches behind the rear bumper. Also, it's a lot quieter to talk back and forth with the driver to coordinate accelerations.

Doing this behind an ICE does cause one to suck a few fumes!

LakeLeaf said:
So, have you tried driving the LEAF with the rear hatch opened? Does it stay up when you are going 30-40 MPH? This could be a great car to practice drafting behind and doing sprint accelerations with. With the back opened, you get a full top to bottom air block, and can tuck in a few inches behind the rear bumper. Also, it's a lot quieter to talk back and forth with the driver to coordinate accelerations.

Doing this behind an ICE does cause one to suck a few fumes!
I haven't tried that; that's one application I hadn't thought of! I haven't raced since my college days. Bicycling up mountains is good fun and great exercise, though.

It's been quite a while since I've done a "century" ride. You know you're a good cyclist if you can "drop" a LEAF. However, if the LEAF has access to a DC Fast Charger, then game over.

Back