Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Has anyone noticed that logging does not seem to work?

Seems I have this problem only with the Nexus 7. Last log is from 5/3.
I haven't gotten around to testing logging yet, will hopefully do so this weekend.

Love version 0.21t. Only a couple of small issues:

1) I think it would probably look better to line up the temp on screen 3 where it was before (and make the tappable area smaller). It looks too busy and unstructured to me (of course, I might change my mind when I see it the other way).
2) Suggest removing the temperature choices from Settings screen, since no longer needed, and don't really belong in the DTE section anyway
3) Small buglet - go to screen 3, go to settings, hit the back button (don't need to change anything in settings), then touch the tappable area to change what temperature is shown (avg, min, max). Result: temperature cycles to next display (correct), but no click from speaker (the buglet)

Updated Version 0.21t.

3) is not under my control. But both my Fusion 2 and Event make sounds with your sequence.

Changes
* made font smaller for temp label so digits don't need to move. You need to switch to C to see all the text that needs to fit.
* deleted temperature selection from Settings DTE panel

Looked more into the Nexus 7 issue. If I look at the file on the Nexus with the File Manager it has the correct date and size of today and 2.46MB. But if I connect it to my PC and look from the PC side it has a date of 5/3 and size of only 606KB.

So on the Nexus 7 I did a copy and paste to a different folder and now from the PC side the copied file has the correct date and size.

Very strange.

So the App is logging correctly but Nexus won't let me see the original file with the true date/size. I must make a copy first. I wonder if the original file is somehow locked to the app even though I close the file after each write.

Great work on this Turbo3

I've given it a go with my ELM327 clone and all seems to be working well. A couple of quick queries:

1. If I was to modify the wiring in the ELM327 adaptor as per Garygid's instructions to read the EV-CAN instead of CAR-CAN, would all the information still be available i.e. SOC, Temps etc. as well as the "True" GID reading?

2. In the UK we do not get miles per kwh on the dash reading. Instead we get kwH per mile but only to 1 decimal place making it quite useless. Is there any way to read miles per kwh from the CAN bus?

3. Any possibility of reading tyre pressures?

Cheers and thanks again for the fantastic work on this.

I remember reading somewhere that the tire pressures for the leaf have been difficult to obtain because we do not know the command codes to request them. The data is not broadcasted from TPMS rather, they only reply when asked, this might happen when the car is first turned on.
The only way we can get this code is probably with a consult III

In an unrelated question, if I/we install a switch to change over to EV-CAN (disconnected from OBDII of course), will this application pick anything up? Can we get actual gids? or would we have to use hyperterm and manually punch in the request?

firetrax said:
Great work on this Turbo3

I've given it a go with my ELM327 clone and all seems to be working well. A couple of quick queries:

1. If I was to modify the wiring in the ELM327 adaptor as per Garygid's instructions to read the EV-CAN instead of CAR-CAN, would all the information still be available i.e. SOC, Temps etc. as well as the "True" GID reading?

2. In the UK we do not get miles per kwh on the dash reading. Instead we get kwH per mile but only to 1 decimal place making it quite useless. Is there any way to read miles per kwh from the CAN bus?

3. Any possibility of reading tyre pressures?

Cheers and thanks again for the fantastic work on this.

1. Mine is modified to read the EV CAN, but it still reads everything.

vsiev said:
Great app! Got my ELM327 today from a Chinese seller off ebay. I just plugged it in and paired the device to my HP Touchpad running android. Turned on the car and started the app. I have not tested everything yet though. Is there a manual for the app or a reference to what all the numbers and info mean? (e.g. in the Distance to Empty (DTE) setting what does % State of Charge (SOC) Reserved mean and what happens when I change it from the default setting.)

One other question I have is if I leave the ELM327 in the OBDII port, will that drain the battery? I noticed a red light from the device when plugged in even though the Leaf is off.

As long as you exit the App, it should be fine. I've been testing that for three days now, and it hasn't lost a tenth yet. However, when I left the App running with the car off, it took my battery down to 8V.

As long as you exit the App, it should be fine. I've been testing that for three days now, and it hasn't lost a tenth yet. However, when I left the App running with the car off, it took my battery down to 8V.

So, when leaving the App running, it must be keeping all the normally-sleeping
car electronics awake to answer the queries.

Of course, with the dongle active (not on switched 12v power),
somebody could approach your "sleeping" car, pair with the
ELM327 device, and... possibly wake up the car and... do "stuff"? :eek:

While we are being "tap happy" on screen 3... :D
there is one other "tap" function that would be useful:

Tap on "miles" to increase the miles/kWh factor by one tenth.
Then, tap elsewhere nearby (perhaps on the mi/kWh number)
to decrease the mi/kWh factor by one tenth. :cool:

Just a thought.

Responses (^^^) within the quote:

jclemens said:
I remember reading somewhere that the tire pressures for the leaf have been
difficult to obtain because we do not know the command codes to request them.

^^^If the tire pressures are in the CAN data, we have not identified them.
Since they are almost constant during any typical log session, they are
not easy to find, but I suspect that nobody has looked closely, after
designing a short log session where the tire is deflated, and then inflated
again, with the car On, where it flashes the lights and beeps the "horn" during
the re-inflation process.

The data is not broadcasted from TPMS rather, they only reply when asked,
this might happen when the car is first turned on.

^^^Since the car needs to monitor the tire pressures during driving,
to operate the low-pressure idiot light, the car must be asking for
the pressures occasionally, but the tire pressure data might not
be broadcast on one of the CAN buses (probably the CAR-CAN bus).

The only way we can get this code is probably with a consult III

In an unrelated question, if I/we install a switch to change over to EV-CAN
(disconnected from OBDII of course), will this application pick anything up?

^^^The GID-Meter has a switch (double pole, break-before-make) to switch
between the EV bus and the CAR bus, and switching while live does not
appear to cause any problem there. However, it is just "listening", not
writing to the bus and waiting for responses.
If the App had a Pause-Polling function, that might be useful for
graceful switching between the two CAN buses.

Can we get actual gids?

^^^The App could get actual GIDs when the ELM327 device is attached to the EV bus.

or would we have to use hyperterm and manually punch in the request?

garygid said:

I thought that the ELM's were only pairing with phones/tablets right after they were plugged in, so if you have one that you leave plugged in, it shouldn't be able to be paired to another phone, right? Probably need to test that.

vrwl said:
garygid said:

I thought that the ELM's were only pairing with phones/tablets right after they were plugged in, so if you have one that you leave plugged in, it shouldn't be able to be paired to another phone, right? Probably need to test that.

Ok, tested it. My ELM has been plugged into my car for two days. I just took my Kindle Fire HD out to the car to try and kill two birds with one stone. The ELM327 DID PAIR with the Kindle Fire HD, so we now have confirmation that the Kindle Fire HD is a valid device to use with this app. The app itself runs fine on the KFHD and has since I initially installed it. I just needed the pairing with the ELM which I finally got today. App now shows valid data on the KFHD. Originally I ruled out the Kindle Fire HD, but as it turned out, that result was due to a faulty ELM327, not due to any Kindle Fire HD communication problems. So that's really good to know.

However, in response to Gary's query, yes, it appears that even though the ELM is attached to the car for several days, it can still pair with a new device. But I turned the car on before I tried to pair it, so that may make a difference.

Does anyone know how to remove a paired device from the "Paired Devices" list from these Android phones/tablets? It seems that once something is paired, I can't figure out how to "unpair" it to test again.

Turbo3 said:
Changes
* made font smaller for temp label so digits don't need to move. You need to switch to C to see all the text that needs to fit.
I don't understand what is being displayed on screen 3 when degrees C. is set. What is the extra number in parentheses???

vrwl said:
Ok, tested it. My ELM has been plugged into my car for two days. I just took my Kindle Fire HD out to the car to try and kill two birds with one stone. The ELM327 DID PAIR with the Kindle Fire HD, so we now have confirmation that the Kindle Fire HD is a valid device to use with this app.
Did you actually get the Leaf Battery app running on the Kindle Fire HD and displaying the proper data? If so, I will add that device to the Wiki.

Turbo3 said:
Has anyone noticed that logging does not seem to work?

Seems I have this problem only with the Nexus 7. Last log is from 5/3.

Jim,

I had no problems - thus far - I do use "ES File Explorer" - it has the best ratings ;_)

Ralph

P.s. I still have ever so often the crashes associated with my Nexus 7 just not as frequent, a couple of times I could all the way - until shortly before my house with login the whole trip, and then today again this am - it bounced out 4 times (more randomly).

Do need the log file - I see a lot of ff.... stuff that then creates an extra line break ... before it records the battery temp

Otherwise this on awesome app thank you again!

Stoaty said:
vrwl said:
Ok, tested it. My ELM has been plugged into my car for two days. I just took my Kindle Fire HD out to the car to try and kill two birds with one stone. The ELM327 DID PAIR with the Kindle Fire HD, so we now have confirmation that the Kindle Fire HD is a valid device to use with this app.
Did you actually get the Leaf Battery app running on the Kindle Fire HD and displaying the proper data? If so, I will add that device to the Wiki.

Yes, and I've already added it to the Wiki.

vsiev said:
Is there a manual for the app or a reference to what all the numbers and info mean? (e.g. in the Distance to Empty (DTE) setting what does % State of Charge (SOC) Reserved mean and what happens when I change it from the default setting.)

One other question I have is if I leave the ELM327 in the OBDII port, will that drain the battery? I noticed a red light from the device when plugged in even though the Leaf is off.

There won't be a manual or instructions of any kind until the dust settles !!! These guys are coming up with ideas as fast as Jim can write the code. Pretty exciting.

DTE is simple calculated kWh's usable multiplied by a default factor of 4 miles/kWh (that's about 65mph down the level freeway, and fairly typical of around town economy). So, quite simply, 21kWh usable with a new condition, warm and balanced battery multiplied by 4 will equal 84 miles.

You can change the economy to a different value. Let's say you want to make a trip at 75mph, or about 3 miles/kWh. That same economy might also be typical of turning on the heater at lower speeds. Just put that in the program, and viola!, it will show 3 * 21 = 63 miles from a full charge with a new condition, warm and balanced battery.

Please check out the Range Chart link in my signature line to get an idea of typical economy values at typical speeds.

The reserve portion is just that; how much do you want to keep in reserve that won't show on the DTE screen. For my wife, I want it to run out where 0 miles means Turtle mode, and get off the freeway. Otherwise, if I reserve some %, she'll be calling me complaining that she's 20 miles away, and the DTE says 19 miles, what should she do. I would then have to explain that there is X% in "reserve" and she won't believe me and then I'll have to go get her in a perfectly functioning car that could have made it.

Hope to see you at the June 8 San Diego meet (see signature line for details) where I'm sure somebody will have one or two of these.

firetrax said:

Other cars, like Tesla, use Wh per mile also. I'm sure the code could be modified to "tap" on the data and switch from:

4 miles/kWh

to:

250 wattHours per mile

The formula is simply 1 divided by X miles/kWh = wattHours per mile

1 / 4 = 250

1/ 3 = 333

Back