Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Way cool" feature request: How about using the headlight signal on the CAN bus (MsgID 358, byte 1 bit 7 if I read the CAN messages spreadsheet correctly) to automatically switch between "day" and "night" screen colors? Red text on black background works great at night (not blinding and the red doesn't affect your night vision sensitivity), but is all but invisible during the day. Likewise, a bright, high-contrast display (white on black or black on white) works well in bright sunlight.

Turbo3 - to echo the sentiments of most everyone here - thanks again for your tireless efforts to develop this into a great tool. It's coming along better than we could have hoped!

garygTx said:
I noticed something unusual this morning using v21. I had to stop for a light after only going a short distance. The watthour display went to about -7 when I stopped completely. As I sat there not moving, the display kept going more negative. When the light turned green it read about -33. Climate control was off (just in case that could matter).

I had not noticed this in v20, so I don't know if it is new or not.

I also noticed a change with the Wh readout after dl v.22. With past versions, when I would coast in N for a half mile, it would use 17 Wh. Now, it only used 2 Wh for the same half mile.

Version 0.22t is up on the new DropBox. Use the "Look for updates" button in Versioin 0.22 to get it.

Features
* When not connected you can stop the "Connected Failed" message by tapping the lower right status area. It will change to "Fail Pause".
* Settings Screen panel now has control of colors used for the 6 temperture ranges. Limitation on setting the highest one (>105). You must have a screen with 480 pixel when in portrait mode. Otherwise it can not be changed from the default of Red. If you try to set the selection button in landscape it will be cleared when you switch back to portrait.

The calculation for Wh has not changed. It is just an initial saved energy value minus the current energy reading.

CurWhrs = AHr*PackVoltage*SOC ' where AHr & SOC come from the Leaf and PackVoltage is 360 but you can change it in settings.

lblwused.Text = NumberFormat2(StartWhrs-CurWhrs,1,0,0,False) ' subtract current value from starting value

Turbo3 said:
* When not connected you can stop the "Connected Failed" message by tapping the lower right status area. It will change to "Fail Pause".
Works perfectly! Thanks!!!

* Settings Screen panel now has control of colors used for the 6 temperature ranges. Limitation on setting the highest one (>105). You must have a screen with 480 pixel when in portrait mode. Otherwise it can not be changed from the default of Red. If you try to set the selection button in landscape it will be cleared when you switch back to portrait.
Very nice. However, I did notice one apparent bug (or unfinished feature?): you can "Pick" the colors for temperature, but the RGB and HSV buttons aren't hooked up. Whatever color you set there has no effect on the color temperature.

Also noticed one tiny cosmetic issue on screen 3 - the "miles" pad for distance would look better if there was a bit of space between the number of miles remaining and the pad.

I decided I wouldn't request any more features... after this one, of course. :oops:

Feature request: it is hard to judge the differences in battery temperature sensors by looking at the numbers. It would be really nice if either screen 1 or screen 2 could be toggled to show a bar graph of the four temperature sensors (with wider bars than for voltage, since there are only 4 of them). I would probably choose screen 2. Would be really easy to see visually if there was a pattern to which one was highest or lowest. Also, if the bars could each be color coded using the same Blue-Green-Yellow-Orange-Magenta-Red coding it would be even easier to see at a glance which ones were in which band. The actual temp could be displayed below each bar on the X-axis in a larger font than the temps are shown on Screen 1 (good for aging eyes). If one were watching the screen and watching for one of the Leaf temperature bars to change it would be easier to see which one (and at what temp) the change was being triggered.

Just thinking out loud, of course. ;)

OK, I have finished the rough draft of all parts of the documentation for the Leaf Battery App (except for the instruction manual itself, which I will work on next). Those more knowledgeable than I are invited to proof the section for errors, omissions, etc.:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either make corrections yourself, or post them here and I will make them.

Just an FYI but research has shown - and the military now uses - green is actually better for night vision than red...

ahagge said:
Red text on black background works great at night (not blinding and the red doesn't affect your night vision sensitivity), but is all but invisible during the day.

Stoaty said:
jimbennett said:
Is there a way to force the ELM327 to stay on (that is, keep transmitting) while driving?
Not sure what you mean by this. I drove for 2 hours today with the ELM327 transmitting to my Fusion 2 phone. I didn't do anything special. Does yours turn off?

Yes, I guess the peculiarities of specific hardware combinations might be a help to all--something for the wiki? My phone is on its last legs, so I'll try the transmitter with a Galaxy III soon.

I need to get a screenshot app for my Fusion 2 phone so I can get some pictures for the Wiki documentation. Can't figure out how to do it. Installed one application that says it needs to be "rooted" in order to run. Don't know how to do this. Any help appreciated.

I can report success with LG VM670 (?Optimus? not sure) and a cheapo ($11.79 incl. shipping; arrived in 3 days) ELM327 as questioned on another thread (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) by toasty:
toasty said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-V1-4-ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-/300515166540

is this it?

leaf00215status20130511.jpg

Earlier in the thread it was suggested that simultaneously pressing and holding the power button and the lower volume button for a couple of seconds would create a screen shot. This works on my Event.

Stoaty said:
I need to get a screenshot app for my Fusion 2 phone so I can get some pictures for the Wiki documentation. Can't figure out how to do it. Installed one application that says it needs to be "rooted" in order to run. Don't know how to do this. Any help appreciated.

91040 said:
Earlier in the thread it was suggested that simultaneously pressing and holding the power button and the lower volume button for a couple of seconds would create a screen shot. This works on my Event.
Doesn't work on the Fusion 2 (and searching the net other Fusion owners reported the same thing).

If someone can take screen shots of screens 1, 2 and 3 (preferably with real data on them) and screen shots of the various part of the Settings screen and PM me for an email address so you can send them to me, I will use them to make the Leaf Battery Manual. Apparently there isn't an easy way for me to get the screenshots myself.

Your wish is my command.
New link for v.0.23 and shots of the settings screens:
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10144652/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would have been faster if I was familiar with Android. Grrrrrrrr.

91040 said:
Your wish is my command.
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/6949/screenshot2013051117281.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imageshack.us/a/img33/5247/screenshot2013051017352.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/319/screenshot2013051117282.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would have been faster if I was familiar with Android. Grrrrrrrr.
Fabulous! Can I get some screenshots of the different parts of the Settings Screen also? I need a screen shot of Screen 3 for the latest version (0.21 is too old). Will get to work on this right away.

Stoaty said:
OK, I have finished the rough draft of all parts of the documentation for the Leaf Battery App (except for the instruction manual itself, which I will work on next). Those more knowledgeable than I are invited to proof the section for errors, omissions, etc.:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either make corrections your self, or post them here and I will make them.

Great job Stoaty! Thanks! There's just a few things:
The ELM that has the Power switch is not the one that can be taken apart and modified. The one that can is from Simvalley for $18 and has the 4 screws.
Under SETUP, it should be 'Leaf' instead of Leafy.
Users don't need to set their screen timeout to 30 mins. because the App has 'screen always on' setting in Settings.

LEAFfan said:
Great job Stoaty! Thanks! There's just a few things:
The ELM that has the Power switch is not the one that can be taken apart and modified. The one that can is from Simvalley for $18 and has the 4 screws.
Can you give me a link to the one with 4 screws on Amazon?

Users don't need to set their screen timeout to 30 mins. because the App has 'screen always on' setting in Settings.
I don't see that "screen always on" in settings. Perhaps by a different name?

OK. Previous links were taken down after I upgraded to 0.23.

This has screen shots for every screen except "About." Shots of the settings screens are in both landscape and portrait mode.
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10144652/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

91040 said:
OK. Previous links were taken down after I upgraded to 0.23.

This has screen shots for every screen except "About." Shots of the settings screens are in both landscape and portrait mode.
Thanks!!! I have done Screens 1-3, just have to work on the Settings Screen (tomorrow).

Back