Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC from Gary's directions, to have it read the EV CAN when we have the App addition, you move (unsolder) the wire on pin 14 and re-solder to pin 12. Then unsolder pin 6 and re-solder to pin 13.
Gary, will a switch be necessary since right now it is in EV CAN reading mode, but reads the CAR CAN? That was a good question Stoaty!

Here's Gary's directions to switch it from always on to only on when car is On or in Ready mode: (not sure if this is necessary now, but if people want to at least this will show them how)

To convert the "stubby" dongle to operate off of the switched
12v power, rather than always on, just:

0. Fully test the unmodified dongle first.

1. Cut out or remove the label to expose the 4 screws.
I cut out 4 small disks of the label, one over each screw,
as is shown on the first post of this thread.

2. Remove the 4 screws with a medium Philips screwdriver.
Clean the extra plastic out of each screw's threads.

3. Lift the lid straight up and off the bottom. Removing the
OBD connector from the bottom might make the next step easier.
I usually unplug the wire's connector from the board.

4. Carefully un-solder the wire from pin 16, and solder it to pin 8.
Inspect your work.

5. Reassemble. Replace the OBD connector (if removed), making sure
that the wires are well clear of the Bluetooth antenna.

6. Replace the top, and the 4 screws, turning the screw counterclockwise
until it clicks, and then clockwise to screw it in (not too tight).

7. Mark or label the dongle to indicate what modification you made.

8. Test the modified dongle, and mark it as tested.

I have a question my friend wants me to ask "for the Wiki" ;)

In what states will the App be able to log data:

--Leaf in Ready mode? (clearly yes)
--Leaf in Accessory mode?
--Leaf plugged in but not Charging?
--Leaf plugged in and charging?
--Leaf off? (e.g., may want to monitor battery temp)

Stoaty said:
Feature request: I would like to see two additions in the DTE kWh reserved dropdown - 2 kWh (VLBW) and 4 kWh (LBW). Hopefully they would also be marked in the dropdown menu as LBW and VLBW (although don't have to be marked that way when shown on the settings screen.

Unless we have Gids (raw data, not simulated), the data won't match up with the dash display.

So, what would be the point?

TonyWilliams said:
Unless we have Gids (raw data, not simulated), the data won't match up with the dash display.

Well, I am hoping that either:

1) We will come up with a much better simulation for Gids OR
2) A modified ELM327 will be able to read the EV CAN and provide True Gids (TM)

Stoaty said:
sorphin said:
So.. I did a full charge last night, did some work on the leaf this afternoon, then plugged in the elm, to see how i looked... As you can see... the dash and the output from the app are quite a bit far apart.. (this is under .21 btw..)
My understanding is that the Leaf Battery App shows true SOC, which should be around 95% when fully charged. The SOC on the Leaf will always show 100% when fully charged, it doesn't count the 5% reserve at the top.

The new 2013 will show 100% regardless of capacity, when fully charged, and show the following:

Code:
New, non degraded battery at 70F degrees temperature

SOC% - kWh usable ------ Gid --- Gid% --- Gid2% --- 2013 dash %

95.x% - 21.0 -- Full --- 281 --- 100% --- 100% ---- 100%
------- 10.5 -- Half --- 144 --- 51.2% --- 50% ---- 50%
-------- 3.3 -- LBW ----- 49 --- 17.4% -- 15.3% --- 17%
-------- 1.3 -- VLB ----- 24 ---- 8.6% --- 6.2% --- 8%
2.x% --- 0.0 -- Turtle --- 7 ---- 2.5% ---- 0% --- (---)

NOTE: LBW and VLB are indexed to Gids, therefore those values won't match the SOC derived data of the 2013 dash % with a degraded battery.

Turtle is not indexed to Gids, therefore under a high load, like freeway speed, expect turtle at 7 or 8 Gids, and at extremely low power, as low as 4 Gids to Turtle.

Stoaty said:
I have a question my friend wants me to ask "for the Wiki" ;)

In what states will the App be able to log data:

--Leaf in Ready mode? (clearly yes)
--Leaf in Accessory mode?
--Leaf plugged in but not Charging?
--Leaf plugged in and charging?
--Leaf off? (e.g., may want to monitor battery temp)
The Leaf EV-CAN bus must be active and the app must receive good data to a pack voltage request for a log event to take place (given that the selected interval has occurred or the force logging button was pressed). While on the Settings screen logging is blocked until you exit the Settings screen.

The EV-CAN bus is active when:
* One or more of the three dash charge lights is on/flashing.
* Leaf is in Ready more

You can get the dash status lights to go active by:
* Pressing timer override button
* Unplugging and repluging charge cable
* Timer charge starts or remote charge activation activation

You can get the Leaf into ready mode by:
* Foot on brake and press ON button (key in car)
* Foot off brake and press ON button twice

Stoaty said:
TonyWilliams said:

Well, I am hoping that either:

1) We will come up with a much better simulation for Gids OR
2) A modified ELM327 will be able to read the EV CAN and provide True Gids (TM)
batteryproblemmnl

Ditto. Raw Gids are coming from somewhere and we have most of the data. Just need to connect the dots (or not). I think finding an off-the-shelf bluetooth dongle, which can read both the CAR and the EV CAN bus won't be possible. The conversation I had with Jim over a year ago revolved around building custom hardware. The main argument was that it should be a lot easier and cheaper to build a bluetooth dongle versus a whole meter. Plus you can then build a smartphone app, which should be a lot more versatile than a custom meter.

Of course, ideas are dime a dozen. Building something is a whole different ballgame. Personally, I'm really impressed that Jim was able to get the type of data we have from an el cheapo OBDII dongle. I doubt that it will get much better than that in terms of hardware. If we cannot piece the data we need together, then there is always the possibility of building a relatively inexpensive adapter, which will re-route some of the pins. That, or perhaps someone will manually modify ELM327 dongles and resell them.

Either way, Jim's app in conjunction with the ELM is absolutely fantastic. Just my 2 cents.

I finally received last week the original ELM327 I ordered off eBay nearly a month ago - it's the very compact blue mini version. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/310645817103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seller romorus)

Seemed more difficult to pair up and connect than the other one I got (http://www.ebay.com/itm/310651672153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seller newlauch)

I Haven't used the blue-mini one extensively aside for a bit of testing, but I wouldn't recommend it simply for the fact that it took 3 weeks to arrive when the other arrived within a week.

I have put up the experimental version of the app that supports listening for the brake status message.

The progress bar is hidden by default now as it slows down processing. I recommend leaving it off. You should see a better % Successful rate with the progress bar hidden. Try with it enable/disable and see if you can verify this.

Version 0.23e is available only by using this link: http://bit.ly/leaf_batt-v023e

Maybe we should add new topics to make the threads more readable? I'm kind of lost in this 95 pages discussion... :?
My suggestions for topics are

Questions
Feature requests
Bug reports

is the SOC adjusted for the pack temp readings?

I ask because last night I parked the car with pack at 69 degrees, 3.903V and 47.0% SOC. This morning the pack is at 57 degrees, 3.906V and 46.6% SOC. Higher voltage, lower SOC? Currently using v0.17.

Stoaty said:
sorphin said:
So.. I did a full charge last night, did some work on the leaf this afternoon, then plugged in the elm, to see how i looked... As you can see... the dash and the output from the app are quite a bit far apart.. (this is under .21 btw..)
My understanding is that the Leaf Battery App shows true SOC, which should be around 95% when fully charged. The SOC on the Leaf will always show 100% when fully charged, it doesn't count the 5% reserve at the top.

On a 2013 SV, I charged to 100% dash reading saw 97.0% in the app, 4.122V, 21.7 kWh (930 miles on the car. Sorphin, your reading of 23.5 kWh is amazing to me. It would be interesting to see that reading several times over the next 1000 miles.

Thanks to Turbo3 for making this application possible and available to the community.

Got my hardware Friday afternoon, routed OBDII extension cable and am operational using my old (original) Droid phone which I brought out of retirement. I knew I hung onto my old phone for a reason :) I suppose I could run the battery app on my Droid3, but with podcasts, telephone cals etc, I'd prefer not to make using the phone anymore challenging while driving. It's nice having a instrument with up to date info on permanent display.

I took my first long run using the app today, I was surprised to see the battery temp DROP by 4 degrees during the 50 minute commute. Left home with battery at 71F and it dropped in the first 10 minutes to 67F and stayed there. I was 41 outside this morning, a record low for Nashville. I was surprised at the 71F when I started, the garage was 60F.

Having this accurate data is awesome!!

Also getting GID readings and ampere hour readings for the first time was illuminating. Sitting at ~ 9% degradation right now with 25,000 miles :) The Arizona degradation debacle last summer had me very worried, I recorded 107F during the heat wave. Having metrics that let me know my batteries true state of health is much more satisfying than 'waiting' for the first bar to extinguish. At least I know it'll be later this year if not next year when it goes out.

Thanks to Turbo3 and everyone else who has contributed to this apps success.

I've ordered a 'non clone' off Amazon yesterday to see if it is more stable than the chepo I got Friday. I'll let you guys know if it is any better or not.

Just to confirm that I've got this working fine with my Samsung Galaxy S2 running Android 4.1.2 and the "stubby" ELM32 adaptor.

Sven said:
Maybe we should add new topics to make the threads more readable? I'm kind of lost in this 95 pages discussion... :?
My suggestions for topics are

Questions
Feature requests
Bug reports
Most of the information needed is contained in the Wiki in the "Leaf Battery Application" section, which is being updated as new information becomes available:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turbo3 sees feature requests in this thread (and has implemented 98% of them, often within a matter of hours). Bugs mentioned in the thread have been promptly fixed.

The key issue is that a lot of people won't know about the Wiki manual describing the hardware that is needed and what the application can do. I'm not sure what is the best way to alert new readers to that respository of information, which is why I keep mentioning it in this thread.

mirko said:
JPWhite said:
I've ordered a 'non clone' off Amazon yesterday to see if it is more stable than the chepo I got Friday. I'll let you guys know if it is any better or not.
Can you provide a link to the non-clone OBDII devices that you ordered. I found these made by ScanTool on amazon...

ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth/OBD-II Scan Tool Interface

OBDLink Bluetooth Multiprotocol OBD-II by ScanTool

I ordered this unit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B0C1N...iveASIN=B004B0C1NE&adid=0RDTP96V3T4CKKMYMT5D&
PLX Kiwi seem to get good reviews. If its no good it can go back :)

I started several related threads, since this one is too long.

For discussing the ELM327-type OBD Bluetooth devices:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For discussing Android devices, mounting, and cables for LEAF Battery App:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For discussing the meaning of data obtained from using the
LEAF Battery app:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JPWhite said:
Thanks to Turbo3 for making this application possible and available to the community.

Got my hardware Friday afternoon, routed OBDII extension cable and am operational ...
Yes, THANK YOU Turbo3 !

And to JP: could you post where you bought an extension cable (and maybe it can be added to the wiki).

As an FYI, I purchased my extension cable at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZN0JKG/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I believe this was the one previously mentioned by Stoaty)

So my successful hardware combination consists of:

1. Kyocera eVent phone (purchased at Target, not activated)
2. BAFX brand ELM327 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
3. Generic extension cable (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZN0JKG/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Additionally, my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" tablet (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Dolby-Audio-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi/dp/B008GFREAU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368459714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) also works as a larger display in place of the Kyocera eVent phone. The app is easily side-loaded and works just fine (you have to indicate in the settings that it's ok to use apps from non-Amazon sources).

Back