Using my Voltec charger on a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like there are 5 different revisions of the Kill-A-Watt, and within that, a wide range of (Chinese) build quality. I've definitely got some melted ones that have been given to me, but I've got one that's about 5 years old, and it is built better than the melted ones.

-Phil

smkettner said:
Does Voltec work with timer set with end time only?
SPX is reported to have issues with this timer setting.
That doesn't make any sense to me. You must be talking about the timer in the car, since neither the SPX nor the Voltec have their own timers. There is no way that any EVSE can know anything about how a timer in the car decides to start charging, it only knows what time it wants to start.

Ray

planet4ever said:
smkettner said:
That doesn't make any sense to me. You must be talking about the timer in the car, since neither the SPX nor the Voltec have their own timers. There is no way that any EVSE can know anything about how a timer in the car decides to start charging, it only knows what time it wants to start.

Ray

Actually the Volt does have a timer. Maybe the 2011's didn't, but then again the 2011's didn't have a kwh meter either. My 2012 has both. The Voltec charger itself does not however.

That is interested about the Kill-A-Watt meters. I knew it was built a China, but did not know there was a wide range of revisions on them. I saw someone else using one on their L1 charger, so I just figured it would be a good idea to do so on mine. 2 weeks later I wanted to take my L1 to someone elses house and could not get the plugs apart. When I finally did the melted plastic was inside. At first I thought they corroded together till I realized the plastic melted. After that I got the L2 charger. :lol: Especially with the garage fires that just happen to involve Volt's. It really made me wonder. Using the L1 by itself it seems fine though. Granted it has been in my trunk since about November unused.

planet4ever said:
smkettner said:

Ray
It has been mentioned in the SPX evse thread numorous times. I was just curious if the issue was across the whole product line.

Roadburner440 said:
That is interested about the Kill-A-Watt meters. I knew it was built a China, but did not know there was a wide range of revisions on them. I saw someone else using one on their L1 charger, so I just figured it would be a good idea to do so on mine. 2 weeks later I wanted to take my L1 to someone elses house and could not get the plugs apart. When I finally did the melted plastic was inside. At first I thought they corroded together till I realized the plastic melted. After that I got the L2 charger. :lol: Especially with the garage fires that just happen to involve Volt's. It really made me wonder. Using the L1 by itself it seems fine though. Granted it has been in my trunk since about November unused.
Note that the cord on your L1 unit is 16awg, and very low-quality. The right-angle plug gets quite warm itself, and this along with the heat from the K-A-W, probably led to your melting.

-Phil

Back