Vacaville L3 Chargepoint

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any further updates on this charger? Is it open or not? Is there a number you can call to get it unlocked for the day?

rawhog said:
they might replace the TEPCO unit with an Eaton.
I'm confused since I thought the Vacaville unit is an Eaton. Is it just a rebranded TEPCO? What is different about the new Eaton they speak of?

TEPCO is executive member of CHAdeMO.
My guess is they need to change CHAdeMO(TEPCO ?) connector after EATON QC gets UL listed.
Original Eaton unit is shipped with old type blue grip Yazaki connector that not UL listed.

Thanks for the good news rawhog. Finally we can see the small light at the End of the Tunnel.

rawhog said:
No. Not available for use. I have been in contact with PG&E. As soon as the Eaton QC gets UL listing, (supposedly within a couple of weeks) they might replace the TEPCO unit with an Eaton.
MIGHT? Such a firm commitment... Darn, I was hoping to use it on a trip to the bay. I've had my LEAF for 7 months now and I *still* can't use it. :x

It is such a disappointment. Everytime I hear "Vacaville L3", I feel like someone poked me in the eye with a stick.

Spoke with Adam of PG&E yesterday and he says the station was only experimental to allow car manufacturers to test their EVs. Also, UL certification is still not available (why not?). Says UL certification in California is different than in Oregon & Washington (more stringent?) Only Eaton DC Fast chargers UL approved but California doesn't accept them yet. He was not aware of Mitsubishi's Quick Charge in Cypress but says that's probably because the auto manufacturer has accepted all liability for the QC to test their vehicles. Also, says Tesla in Fremont has a fast charger of some sort. Vacaville QC needs some entity to accept liability while it is not UL certified?? Anyone knows more about UL certification in California and what's holding it up. Heard even Tennessee has an Eaton ready to go.

Just more lip service about the Vacaville CHAdeMO from PG&E. So not only do we now have a poke in the eye with a sharp stick we now have a punch in the gut to go along with it.

Phoenix said:
Spoke with Adam of PG&E yesterday and he says the station was only experimental to allow car manufacturers to test their EVs. Also, UL certification is still not available (why not?). Says UL certification in California is different than in Oregon & Washington (more stringent?) Only Eaton DC Fast chargers UL approved but California doesn't accept them yet. He was not aware of Mitsubishi's Quick Charge in Cypress but says that's probably because the auto manufacturer has accepted all liability for the QC to test their vehicles. Also, says Tesla in Fremont has a fast charger of some sort. Vacaville QC needs some entity to accept liability while it is not UL certified?? Anyone knows more about UL certification in California and what's holding it up. Heard even Tennessee has an Eaton ready to go.
FYI, the DC Quick Chargers in Oregon are ETL (Intertek) listed. I couldn't find any UL listing marks on them. Sounds like California only accepts UL and not Intertek.

The Vacaville Quick Charger is a Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) unit installed by EATON. The station is run by PG&E Fast Charger Demonstration Project Funded by $172,000 CARB grant under Assembly Bill 1811, Alternative Fuel Incentive Program (AFIP) Testing Program.

Vacaville Quick Charger additional details:
The new DC fast charger was installed by Eaton, which licensed the design and technology from the Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) -ed) Hundreds of these charging stations are in operation in Japan, where they supply power to small electric cars from Mitsubishi, Nissan and Subaru. Each station costs approximately $50,000 plus installation to get going.
http://www.hybridcars.com/news/vacaville-calif-gets-first-public-electric-car-rapid-charger-us-27977.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PG&E Fast Charger Demonstration Project Funded by $172,000 CARB
grant under Assembly Bill 1811, Alternative Fuel Incentive Program
(AFIP) Testing Program
• One key area of focus for PG&E is the grid impacts and power quality
affects of operating DC fast charging stations that will serve the lightduty
vehicle market.
• Two sites (San Francisco and Vacaville) will serve to demonstrate and
evaluate EV fast charging technologies (DC Fast Charging) in
conjunction with PG&E’s testing of the Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric
vehicle and Nissan’s ongoing testing of their PEV.
– Vacaville site chosen due to ease of access, solar power option and site
is approx. halfway between SF and SAC on Hwy 80.
Operational as of May 1st, 2010
First Publicly accessible DC Fast Charger in the Nation
TEPCO Charger Specifications
Maker: Takaoka Electric Manufacturing Co.
Type: Switching type, constant current
Power Supply-Input: 3-phase 200V
+/- 10% (208V installation)
DC output power: 50kW-Maximum
DC output Voltage: 500V-Maximum
DC output Current: 125A
http://mydocs.epri.com/Docs/PublicMeetingMaterials/1009/4FNWWJ9XQWB/407593_E234984_Ornelas_2_PG_E_DC_Fast_Charging_Demo_Proj.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ht2 said:
TEPCO is executive member of CHAdeMO.
My guess is they need to change CHAdeMO(TEPCO ?) connector after EATON QC gets UL listed.
Original Eaton unit is shipped with old type blue grip Yazaki connector that not UL listed.

Thanks for the good news rawhog. Finally we can see the small light at the End of the Tunnel.
Mighty strange that Corporate Mitsu would install an EATON - if they're not UL approved . . . . not that it's really necessary to get their approval, and still be legal.

ElectricVehicle said:
http://mydocs.epri.com/Docs/PublicMeetingMaterials/1009/4FNWWJ9XQWB/407593_E234984_Ornelas_2_PG_E_DC_Fast_Charging_Demo_Proj.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I find it interesting that this PG&E touts it as the "First Publicly accessible DC Fast Charger in the Nation" in their own documentation. I suppose one can say the public can access it but just can't use it :roll:

Spies said:
ElectricVehicle said:
I find it interesting that this PG&E touts it as the "First Publicly accessible DC Fast Charger in the Nation" in their own documentation. I suppose one can say the public can access it but just can't use it :roll:
Hey, they did their Demo, and got their Press Release! What the hell are you whining about? You actually want to USE the Public fast charger for a normal trip? Get out of town!!!

ElectricVehicle said:
Hey, they did their Demo, and got their Press Release! What the hell are you whining about? You actually want to USE the Public fast charger for a normal trip? Get out of town!!!

Maybe they could hold an annual fete when EV owners can get 5 minutes of charging for $100, (proceeds go to charity). No need to dance around the maypole, just dance around the EATON charger. One could attach ribbons to it and put bells on your shoes too. First official Morris dancers in CA!!! :lol:

http://youtu.be/maWKG30arDs
http://youtu.be/D2_NpHUiIdc

I mean what else would you do with a taxpayer paid for monolith? :shock:

Perhaps we could stage a funeral like they did for the EV1. Call all the Sacramento and Bay Area news folks and make them aware of the event. All of the Leafs who are in range of it could show up to "pay respects" to our fallen charge station. I know I could make it there and back but it would be a slow trip without any charging between.

Thats a great idea. I'm in range and I'll show up. Maybe we can attach some prayer flags to the charger with writing on them asking PG&E to let us use our taxpayer funded charger. I would sign a waiver and pay $5 to use it for a half hour.

quote="palmermd"]Perhaps we could stage a funeral like they did for the EV1. Call all the Sacramento and Bay Area news folks and make them aware of the event. All of the Leafs who are in range of it could show up to "pay respects" to our fallen charge station. I know I could make it there and back but it would be a slow trip without any charging between.[/quote]

Back