Volt selling better in 2012????

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering that pricing is very close to each other why would this be a surprise, to average person Volt may seem to offer a better value and function.

TomT said:
The sales for both, even combined, are currently dismal so does it really matter?
Dismal? Disappointing to us maybe, but market percentage wise the LEAF sales total (in the US) was nearly the same its first year as the Gen1 Toyota Prius. Given the hype it is disappointing, but the geographic rollout was not restricted for the Prius and the sales number was driven by demand, not production like the LEAF & Volt.
I think everyone believes that the Prius is a success now, but nobody was saying that in late in 2003, nearly 3yrs after it was introduced in the US. Given EVs require a whole new way of thinking compared to an ICE, I think we should be pleased with the sales numbers.

Until we fix the current public misinformation campaign on EVs, we need to wait a couple of years before we can say sales reflect the truth about EVs.

padamson1 said:
TomT said:
The sales for both, even combined, are currently dismal so does it really matter?
Dismal? Disappointing to us maybe, but market percentage wise the LEAF sales total (in the US) was nearly the same its first year as the Gen1 Toyota Prius. Given the hype it is disappointing, but the geographic rollout was not restricted for the Prius and the sales number was driven by demand, not production like the LEAF & Volt.
I think everyone believes that the Prius is a success now, but nobody was saying that in late in 2003, nearly 3yrs after it was introduced in the US. Given EVs require a whole new way of thinking compared to an ICE, I think we should be pleased with the sales numbers.

Until we fix the current public misinformation campaign on EVs, we need to wait a couple of years before we can say sales reflect the truth about EVs.
In addition, the LEAF is actually outselling a lot of other vehicles. I don't read about the BMW 1 series sales, for example, being called dismal, yet the LEAF out sells it. Look, do I wish LEAF sales were 4x or 5x higher? Sure, but Nissan are financially healthy and Altima sales are very very strong to support them well into the future. So, they can stay in this for the long haul. They are building EV global market share each and every month. At some point, the combination of falling solar pricing and falling battery costs will create a tipping point. Nissan will be sitting on a several year technical and market share lead at that point, unheard of in the automobile industry.

padamson1 said:
TomT said:

I don't remember, but ISTM when the Prius was introduced it didn't have anywhere near the incentives the Leaf has benefited from. And Gas was what, $1.50/gal. then? IMO the Leaf is doing decidedly poorly given the incentives. [Edit: Actually, it's doing about what I expected, an initial rush by the early adopters followed by a slump as it fails to make the leap to the mainstream. But Nissan seems to have believed things would be different. If gas prices go up to and stay at or above $4.50/gal., sales may improve]

As an aside, I'm still trying to figure out how Toyota can justify an $8,000 MSRP premium for a base PiP over a base Prius. Assuming a 5kWh Li battery pack @ $625/kWh, that's $3,125 minus whatever the NMH pack costs them. If hybrids maintain the same 50% ratio of manufacturing cost to MSRP as ICEs, the base PiP shouldn't list for more than $6,250 over the regular Prius, and should be less given the deleted NiMH battery. Are the standard features that different, or is Toyota just figuring they can sell them for that much in California because of the HOV stickers?

GRA said:
is Toyota just figuring they can sell them for that much in California because of the HOV stickers?
That and customer loyalty IMHO. There are probably a lot of Prius owners out there who'll buy the PiP just because they have to have the flagship in Prius green-ness. How many is "a lot"? OK, maybe not that many percentage-wise... But there are a lot of Prius owners and between that limited percentage and the HOV "gotta-havers" I still think Toyota will sell 100% of the (limited number) PiPs they're making this year.

They could probably toss in the robo-cuisinart feature for an extra $5K, and sell 100% of those too.

GRA said:
As an aside, I'm still trying to figure out how Toyota can justify an $8,000 MSRP premium for a base PiP over a base Prius. Assuming a 5kWh Li battery pack @ $625/kWh, that's $3,125 minus whatever the NMH pack costs them.
It's simple, it's called market based pricing. Basically you price at the perceived value of your target market.

I haven't seen any Leaf advertizing lately, but I have seen some for the Volt. There is a time lag factor that plays a role too since there are few or no Leafs at most Nissan dealerships. I would also expect that at a certain point in time many prospective Leaf buyers are waiting for the 2013 model specifications, especially if they feel they need more range.

it really is pathetic, especially considering that the success of each hinges on the other. The Leaf and Volt make much better bedfellows.

Herm said:
what I find dismalling is the hatred that some of you Leafers and Voltheads have for the other side..

A friend just emailed me that GM is stopping Volt production for five weeks. Seems confirmed: http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2012/03/gm_to_stop_chevy_volt_producti.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm said:
what I find dismalling is the hatred that some of you Leafers and Voltheads have for the other side..
Seems more like hatred for GM than for the Volt on this side. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the EV-1 but that's just a guess. If you want to hate a corporation, which is odd enough by itself, seems even odder that you'd hate a company more for discontinuing a car than for committing war crimes.

If I were Nissan I would NOT be trying to sell a zillion EV's until production is moved to Smyrna. So far Ghosn has been very coy and disciplined about their business moves. No reason to think this will change anytime soon.

I think such hatred is fairly rare amongst us EV drivers, but watching the commercials would certainly teach you to disrespect the opposition. It's not like the old US of A is good at respecting both the Red Sox AND the Yankees.

Herm said:

The Volt appeared to sell well in Feb. 2012. Unfortunately, there will be a production stoppage so sales can catch up to the inventory.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120302/OEM05/120309955/1186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps we'll see 'national' discounts on Volts to get their inventory numbers down, seem to recall the radio news mentioning either a 145 or 154 days of supply on hand so would expect something from GM other than simply furloughing a plant for 5 weeks ...

TRONZ said:
If I were Nissan I would NOT be trying to sell a zillion EV's until production is moved to Smyrna. So far Ghosn has been very coy and disciplined about their business moves. No reason to think this will change anytime soon.

Well, it is important to get the foot in the door.

Back