wait for 2014?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How so? If the 2014 Leaf costs the same as the 2013 Leaf wouldn't waiting a bit give you effectively the same deal?

I'm assuming there will probably be a window when you pay some sort of "premium" for owning the newest leaf -- basically dealers would be less willing to give discounts on the '14 model when they may have older models on the floor. I guess thats probably the time to get the best deal on the '13 leaf.

However wouldn't the best deals on the '14 Leaf lease be determined by it's selling price and residual value?

Does anyone know if the MSRP on the '14 Leaf is going substantially different than that of the '13? Also, when do we expect to see these show up at dealerships?

The 2014 SL is identical with the 2013 SL. Only the cheaper Leafs have some additional features from the SL.

Canardian said:
The 2014 SL is identical with the 2013 SL. Only the cheaper Leafs have some additional features from the SL.

I thought that the batteries were going to be better in terms of heat management? I have no source for this notion.

goaliepride said:
Canardian said:

I thought that the batteries were going to be better in terms of heat management? I have no source for this notion.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086498_nissan-tests-new-heat-resistant-battery-for-leaf-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gsleaf said:
goaliepride said:
Canardian said:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086498_nissan-tests-new-heat-resistant-battery-for-leaf-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But based on the Nissan communications to the small group in August 2013 in Phoenix, the "Hot" battery chemistry is still undergoing testing and they were unsure as to whether it would be used in all future LEAFs or not. Likely it won't be included in all 2014 LEAFs due to timing.
LEAF model years are NOT all the same.

The LEAF model year will change about Dec - Jan timeframe. The hot weather battery however might come later. From the green car reports article linked above.
If tests confirm that the new cells degrade at no more than the standard rate, even at high temperatures, the company hopes to have battery packs using those cells available next April.

I think I'm going to wait. With these really low residuals and higher monthly payments I don't think leasing it makes financial sense for me anymore. Especially since I know some people that have gotten amazing deals just a few months back. ;)

We're almost at the end of 2013... I'm curious to see what additions the '14 Leaf has to offer and as much as I'd love to get a leaf right now, I'd hate to get it and regret the decision in a just few months.

Just my 2 cents...

I don't think the deals will be much better next year, nor do I think there will be substantial enhancements in the 2014 LEAF, other than possibly a more heat-tolerant battery introduced mid-year for hotter areas (and quite possibly at an increased price). But of course you need to make a decision based on your personal situation.

One thing you might consider doing is buying and installing a 240v EVSE before the end of the year. There is a 30% tax credit on purchase + installation costs that expires December 31.

Ray

Wasn't there a remark somewhere the 2014s would all have the backup camera standard? It was supposed to be required on all cars in the near future but they seem to have pushed back the rule on that.

planet4ever said:
One thing you might consider doing is buying and installing a 240v EVSE before the end of the year. There is a 30% tax credit on purchase + installation costs that expires December 31.Ray

Is this State or Federal? Where can I access the info?
Thanks

rgcam said:
planet4ever said:
One thing you might consider doing is buying and installing a 240v EVSE before the end of the year. There is a 30% tax credit on purchase + installation costs that expires December 31.Ray

Thanks

Federal.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/US/tech/3270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRS Form 8911

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
rgcam said:
planet4ever said:

Thanks

Federal.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/US/tech/3270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRS Form 8911

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, I just took a quick look and it seems that 30% or $1000 is the limit for "personal" equipment. And you have to use the smaller value.
"IRS Form 8911 Instructions...For property of a character not subject to an allowance for depreciation placed in service at your main home (personal use property), the credit for all property placed in service at your main home is generally the smaller of 30% of the property’s cost or $1,000."
"11 Multiply line 10 by 30% (.30)......................
12 Maximum personal use part of credit (see instructions) .............
13 Enter the smaller of line 11 or line 12"

rgcam said:
Thanks, I just took a quick look and it seems that 30% or $1000 is the limit for "personal" equipment. And you have to use the smaller value.
"IRS Form 8911 Instructions...For property of a character not subject to an allowance for depreciation placed in service at your main home (personal use property), the credit for all property placed in service at your main home is generally the smaller of 30% of the property’s cost or $1,000."
"11 Multiply line 10 by 30% (.30)......................
12 Maximum personal use part of credit (see instructions) .............
13 Enter the smaller of line 11 or line 12"
If 30% is larger than the $1000 limit you are spending way too much on your charge station and installation. You can buy an EVSE for as little as $500. The cost of installation depends on the details of your house electrical system. But even $1000 ought to cover a difficult setup. If your electrical panel is located in the garage a few hundred dollars may be all it takes.

[I spent less than $50 by doing it myself, but I realize that most people aren't comfortable doing that.]

Like some others here I wasn't able to take advantage of the 30% credit for EVSE installation because I also claimed the $7500 EV credit in the same year. It was unexpected and disappointing. Yet another advantage for those who leased their LEAFs, as opposed to buying them.

Back