Warped rotors?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garsh

I recently replaced the front rotors on my Leaf. They were a bit warped. I'm very surprised that this would happen in a vehicle with regenerative braking. But, I do charge to 100% every day, and at other times the car is cold enough to severely restrict the available regen, so I guess the brakes still get a pretty good workout at times. But still, that shouldn't be happening.

Has anybody else had to resurface or replace their rotors?

As someone who has had 4 previous Nissans, one definite Achilles Heel with this brand are the durability of the front rotors. I can feel brake pedal pulsing by the time the car has 30k miles on it. I haven't had it happen yet to my Leaf but I haven't reached the 30k point yet, and won't as my car goes back to NMAC before the end of the year.

I've had a Toyota 4x4, and currently an Audi A3, whose rotors stayed relatively warp-free even after 100k miles. In the case of the Audi, it was still warp free by the time the rotors actually needed replacement (due to being worn down too thin) at around 105k miles. I don't think I have ever replaced the front rotors on the Toyota by the time I sold it at 175k miles, but it's been almost 2 decades since I owned it.

FWIW:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

According to that article, Nissan must not be installing their brake pads properly at the factory, because of all the car brands I've owned, I've only experienced this with Nissans.

I had to turn the rotors on my 05 Subaru Legacy every 10k miles, a very common problem with that car. Often though a simple brake pad bed-in procedure is all that's needed to "unwarp" the rotors once the vibration is noticeable.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/brake-pad-bed-in

Back