Warranty question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwk

I know that some here have bought the Leaf in the few rollout states before it was available in their state and had it shipped. I did a quick search and came up with very little info on what happens when the car needs powertrain warranty work and the dealer in your state doesnt even know that the leaf exists? Do you have to ship it back to have it worked on? Who here has had to deal with that? Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

My immediate reaction: Has anyone reported that any powertrain work was ever needed? Unless, of course, you include tires, which it could be argued are part of the powertrain. Naturally tires can be handled anywhere. The powertrain is sealed, lubricated for life, and has no clutches, belts, gear shifting, indeed nothing that is likely to fail for years.

Ray

planet4ever said:
My immediate reaction: Has anyone reported that any powertrain work was ever needed? Unless, of course, you include tires, which it could be argued are part of the powertrain. Naturally tires can be handled anywhere.
I've never seen a powertrain warranty include tires. Most (all?) warranty booklets have a separate section for tire warranties, which varies by tire manufacturer.

qwk said:
Do you have to ship it back to have it worked on?

If your local Nissan dealer has no certified Leaf tech, and if the issue is truly something unique to the Leaf that they can't help you with, I would think it would be your responsibility to have it flatbedded or shipped to the nearest Leaf certified Nissan dealer.

One LEAF required battery work, another needed the steering assembly replaced,
presumably because it got "wacked" out of alignment.

Except for the occasional rear/front end accident and repair, I believe that
the LEAF has been remarkably free of service/failure/repair.

There is a Web Site that is attempting to track all service by owners
reporting in regularly. I forget the site's name.
I am tardy in reporting, because I have only had my LEAF to the
dealer once, and that was for the free annual required "battery check".

I face that problem: I don't think I can make it home from the nearest dealer on a single charge in December, when my battery check is due. I might be able to make it there on a charge since it is lower in elevation than the last place I can plug-in here. My plan is to carry a generator and take however long is necessary. Not the most elegant of solutions but there are no public charge stations here. (I get annoyed by those who dismiss the utility of L2 charge stations: a couple of well-placed L2 stations around here would be a huge improvement.)

I thought I'd make a practice trip next week while the weather is still warm and the roads clear and dry, if the dealer is willing to let me charge for the trip home.

If completely beyond range of a dealer it would be necessary to rent a truck and flatbed trailer to transport the car to the nearest LEAF-certified dealer. That's life for those who want to drive an EV but don't live near dealers who can service them. I'm lucky there is one only 93 miles, and three mountain passes, away. When I ordered my car I figured I'd have to take it 300 miles to Denver.

I'm wondering what the Tesla buyers will do when there are only a handful of service centers in the entire country?

Back