West Coast LEAF Relay/Caravan Late Summer '11

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gascant

Have had some discussions among three local LEAF enthusiasts groups out here on the West Coast, and the consensus is that we should do a relay and caravan towards the end of this summer. The idea would be to start with a baton and passenger at one Northern location, and drive them 60-70 miles South, hand them off, and continue with the next driver. Along the way, fellow LEAFers join in a caravan to demonstrate solidarity. The hand offs continue until the passenger and baton make it to the Southern terminus of the route. Individual segments would ideally be long enough that some charging would be required for each driver to get home following their segment. Thus, planning is key to success.

Working through the forum, I'm figuring it will take us about a month to finalize the route (see below) including hand off locations with charging. Then, another month to identify volunteers, get modified L1 EVSE and adapters in place if needed, coordinate start times/communications, and make any other special arrangements. So that puts us out into mid-August, let's say. I prefer this kind of date over Labor Day in that campgrounds/RV parks that may be needed for charging might also be filled up on the holiday weekend. As well, schools usually start by end of August.

For potential routes, here are some ideas:
Original (SF BayLEAFs proposed): SF - LA one day (8-10 segments)
Agreed by Central Coast LEAFers, and then
Quickly added by SoCal LEAFs: SF - SD (still one day)
Could be expanded to: Sac - SD (one day do-able)
Then, xtremeflyer proposed: Blaine, WA, to San Ysidro, CA (3 days, changes at Nissan Dealers)
with a fallback of Redding, CA - San Ysidro (2 days).
(see his post on the topic here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1242&start=50, where he did some great Google maps to show the route and hand offs)

The quickly added route might go something like:
SF City Hall --> Mountain View, Gilroy, Soledad, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Goleta or Santa Barbara, Thousand Oaks, LAX Airport, Aliso Viejo, Oceanside, Coronado Hotel.
This route is 12 segments and would demonstrate a variety of charging situations such as public spots, camp grounds and/or private homes. Alone, this might take a full day.

Comments and suggestions on this are welcomed--it's easy enough to start a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of it all, with access to MNL Forum members. Please let us know your interest and your ideas for routes. There is a journalist who has expressed interest in covering the event as well.

I think that we'll need to use Nissan dealers as start/stop points in the journey, and it will be important to identify them, contact their management and get access to their L2 charging stations set up in advance. xtremeflyer's maps rely on dealer locations. We might also want to get an early word to Nissan USA and I bet that they'd want to provide support and publicity, if we want it.

Boomer23 said:
I think that we'll need to use Nissan dealers as start/stop points in the journey, and it will be important to identify them, contact their management and get access to their L2 charging stations set up in advance. xtremenflyer's maps rely on dealer locations. We might also want to get an early word to Nissan USA and I bet that they'd want to provide support and publicity, if we want it.
Yep, all the more reason it will take some time--have to identify local people to go contact the Dealers and make arrangements. Great idea to contact Nissan Corporate to see if they would be interested in supporting it. This (and xtremeflyer's maps) is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to get.

sounds like a great idea!
I would happily volunteer to carry the baton in the South Puget Sound area, say Seattle to Tacoma or thereabouts.
I see there is a Kent to Olympia run on the map that might be perfect, since I'm in Kent.
Fun!

No "baton", I think.
Let's pass the rider(s) and a "Branch" (or maybe a small live tree,
to be planted at or near the end point).
The route would be segmented into "Branches".

Typical "Branch" driver's plan:
1. Charge fully at home.
2. Arrive at the designated start point before the "In-Branch" is due to arrive, sufficiently early to L2 charge fully and be ready to Load-n-Go (Branch-Out).
3. Load quickly, carefully transfering the Branch, "watering" it and the passenger(s) as necessary.
4. Branch-Out drives safely to their designated Branch-In point.
5. Transfer the Branch and passenger(s).
6. Recharge sufficiently at that L2 to make it back home.

Routine at the Branch-fer (transfer) point:
1. Branch-Out Driver arrives early
2. Charges at reserved L2 as needed.
3. In-Branch LEAF arrives, with band playing.
4. Branch Transfer occurs
5. Branch-Out leaves (LEAFs)
6. In-Branch LEAF charges on the L2, and eventually heads home.

With quick hand-offs, and most legs short enough so that slow-driving economy is not required, the event's first LEAF-Out to last LEAF-In should/could be faster than taking a bus.

If the charging facilities at the two ends of a "Branch" permit, a "Chase-LEAF" car (or cars) could accompany the "Branch" LEAF, creating a mini-caravan.

The two big issues with my route is Eugene to Medford and then Medford to Redding but I don't know the area well enough so it's be up to the Southern Oregon group to help out and determine if border to border is feasible, but I really think that should be or goal.. I like including the dealers, I have 40 dealers on my route including a little back tracking to get to dealers that have helped this forum..

Some branches are only 15 - 20 miles long but these are in urban areas and will allow for more participation.. There are more than enough routes that are longer distances that'll show the Leaf capability.. Caravans will be fun as well because ghats what will catch peoples attention in the urban areas. One Leaf going down the road won't.

garygid said:
No "baton", I think.
Let's pass the rider(s) and a "Branch" (or maybe a small live tree,
to be planted at or near the end point).
The route would be segmented into "Branches".

Typical "Branch" driver's plan:
1. Charge fully at home.
2. Arrive at the designated start point before the "In-Branch" is due to arrive, sufficiently early to L2 charge fully and be ready to Load-n-Go (Branch-Out).
3. Load quickly, carefully transfering the Branch, "watering" it and the passenger(s) as necessary.
4. Branch-Out drives safely to their designated Branch-In point.
5. Transfer the Branch and passenger(s).
6. Recharge sufficiently at that L2 to make it back home.

Routine at the Branch-fer (transfer) point:
1. Branch-Out Driver arrives early
2. Charges at reserved L2 as needed.
3. In-Branch LEAF arrives, with band playing.
4. Branch Transfer occurs
5. Branch-Out leaves (LEAFs)
6. In-Branch LEAF charges on the L2, and eventually heads home.

With quick hand-offs, and most legs short enough so that slow-driving economy is not required, the event's first LEAF-Out to last LEAF-In should/could be faster than taking a bus.

If the charging facilities at the two ends of a "Branch" permit, a "Chase-LEAF" car (or cars) could accompany the "Branch" LEAF, creating a mini-caravan.
I was thinking it pretty much has to work that way, and you captured it very nicely. Whoever does the Soledad to Paso Robles leg would have to arrive early to charge and be fully juiced when the branch arrives.

I think a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of it will be necessary. For now, though, I'd like to hear opinions about the route.

mossyleaf said:
Would love to have My Dealership as a "terminal" for one of the Branches.

The following Dealers make up my proposed route. If people have a recommendation for switching out a "bad" dealer for a "good" dealer, I'm all for that as well.

Start - Blaine, WA
Bellingham, WA - King Nissan
Burlington, WA - Karmart Nissan
Edmunds, WA - Campbell Nissan
Seattle, WA - Stadium Nissan
Auburn, WA - Nissan of Auburn
Olympia, WA - Olympia Nissan
Longview, WA - Columbia Nissan
Vancouver, WA - Alan Webb Nissan
Portland, OR - Rustom Nissan
Beaverton, OR - Beaverton Nissan
Salem, OR - Salem Nissan
Albany, OR - Withnell Nissan
Eugene, OR - Lithia Nissan
- 167 Mile "Hole"
Medford, OR - Lithia Nissan
- 150 Mile "Hole"
Redding, CA - Crown Motors Nissan -- Could be starting point if we can't fill the Oregon holes..
Chico, CA - Chico Nissan
*Yuba City, CA - Travelhome RV Park (Need EVSEUpgrade + 14-50 adapter)
Roseville, CA - Future Nissan
Davis, CA - Hanlees Davis Nissan
Vallejo, CA - Vallejo Nissan
Petaluma, CA - North Bay Nissan
Colma, CA - Serramonte Nissan
Redwood, CA - Boardwalk Nissan
San Jose, CA - Premier Nissan
Gilroy, CA - South County Nissan
Salinas, CA - My Nissan
*King City, CA - Ciudad del Rey Motel & Trailer Park (Need EVSEUpgrade + 14-50 adapter)
*Atascadero, CA - Rabobank Atascadero
San Luis Obisbo, CA - Coast Nissan
Santa Maria, CA - Santa Maria Nissan
Santa Barbera, CA - Santa Barbara Nissan
Oxnard, CA - Team Nissan
Woodland Hills, CA - Woodland Hills Nissan
Santa Monica, CA - Santa Monica Nissan
Los Angeles, CA - Nissan of DT LA
Duarte, CA - Performance Nissan
Fontana, CA - Fontana Nissan
Riverside, CA - Riverside Nissan
Orange, CA - Stadium Nissan
Costa Mesa, CA - Connell Nissan
San Juan Capistrano, CA - Weseloh Nissan
Oceanside, CA - Mossy Nissan
Kearny Mesa, CA - Mossy Nissan
Finish - San Ysidro, CA

xtremeflyer said:
Gilroy, CA - South County Nissan
Salinas, CA - My Nissan
*King City, CA - Ciudad del Rey Motel & Trailer Park (Need EVSEUpgrade + 14-50 adapter)
*Atascadero, CA - Rabobank Atascadero
San Luis Obisbo, CA - Coast Nissan
Santa Maria, CA - Santa Maria Nissan
Santa Barbera, CA - Santa Barbara Nissan
Oxnard, CA - Team Nissan
Woodland Hills, CA - Woodland Hills Nissan
Santa Monica, CA - Santa Monica Nissan

Los Angeles, CA - Nissan of DT LA
Duarte, CA - Performance Nissan
Fontana, CA - Fontana Nissan
Does anyone have experience charging in Soledad? I've used King City twice, so know it works. I could also get an EVSE Upgrade up to King City if the LEAF segment drivers don't have one. Will also volunteer to contact dealers and RV Parks once there is a target date.

Any route sounds good to me. Our household can participate as driver, passenger, L2 available at our house, or help at transfer point.

If it is one passenger that goes the whole way...sort of a human baton! then I think we either pass the hat to get the passenger a flight back to "home" or maybe Nissan corporate would pony up for that. Alternatively, both driver and passenger change at each branch transfer point. Driver agrees to take passenger back to start point of that branch. Seems like more fun if the driver and passenger change at each point.

(Too bad we don't have L3 at all the dealers... Then someone could just drive the whole route themselves!)

By the way, for those that missed it, a Tesla just did an "end to end" trip from the top of Scotland to the south of the England.
Somewhat similar concept.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/tesla-roadster-goes-end-to-end-in-the-uk-900-miles-in-two-days/

Also we could have more than one LEAF do each segment in a caravan if we had interested folks, provided there is enough L2 charging at the end point to accomodate the return trip needs.

thanks for starting the new thread--would be happy to help with the CA central coast routes (esp from-to San Luis Obispo)

gascant, I know you proposed August, but I'm wondering if September (after Labor Day) might be better. It won't be as hot, so less A/C will be needed (or at least wanted). Perhaps more important, most people will be home from their summer vacations.

Well, there is also the fact that I would love to be involved, but can't do it in August. I will be available any time in September. I know, you can't plan the whole thing around one person.

Ray

I would love to participate. LAX to Costa Mesa/Tustin/Newport Beach should be doable at freeway speeds. Both South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island have free ChargePoint Level 2 public charging stations available.

The "passenger" baton is a great idea. And if either Nissan ponies up to fly him/her back that would be great. In the alternative, since a journalist was mentioned, he/she would take care of his/her own transportation needs.

** OR **

Use TWO passengers and TWO relay teams in opposite directions at the same time (North-to-South and South-to-North). Passenger (baton) for each team turns around at approximate mid-way point (Golden Spike, ahem, Golden LEAF) to return home. Start at same time, let's see which team makes it to the end-point first. (Much more complicated logistics; only one driver allowed in each branch (IOW, the local branch's N-S driver can't also be the S-N driver); needs more LEAFs than might be available for some sections.)

Back