What other 240V sources do you use?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBornstein

I have just purchased a new 240V 40A portable EVSE based on the OpenEVSE. It came with a 14-50 plug which I modified by removing the neutral pin so that it would also fit 14-30 and 14-40 receptacles (the EVSE doesn't use the neutral wire). I have already discovered 14-50 receptacles in LA (Century City Mall) and Frasier Park (Flying J).

What other power sources are commonly available? Having a portable EVSE greatly expands the range of my car as I am no longer dependant on finding a working J-plug but can also look for alternate power sources. If there are other commonly available sources, I can make a conversion cable.

My home charger, a 40A Leviton uses a 6-50 receptacle, so I am considering making a cable for that in case the Leviton ever fails. Is 6-50 commonly seen in the wild?

What other converters do you use?

MichaelBornstein said:
I have just purchased a new 240V 40A portable EVSE based on the OpenEVSE. It came with a 14-50 plug which I modified by removing the neutral pin so that it would also fit 14-30 and 14-40 receptacles (the EVSE doesn't use the neutral wire). I have already discovered 14-50 receptacles in LA (Century City Mall) and Frasier Park (Flying J).

What other power sources are commonly available? Having a portable EVSE greatly expands the range of my car as I am no longer dependant on finding a working J-plug but can also look for alternate power sources. If there are other commonly available sources, I can make a conversion cable.

My home charger, a 40A Leviton uses a 6-50 receptacle, so I am considering making a cable for that in case the Leviton ever fails. Is 6-50 commonly seen in the wild?

What other converters do you use?

Hi, what EVSE did you get and how do you like it so far? I'm just starting to research them.

I've bummed power on occasions from car mechanic or welding shops. they use a NEMA 6-50 plug also, as mentioned a 14-50 or 14-30 is used, as well as the 10-50 (old style range plug.. some people use as welder plugs), and the 10-30 (old style dryer plug). I've also seen friends with a NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 plug in their garage for a air compressor or chop saw. I like to have all the adapters... just in case. The only other one I need to build is an adapter to go from 2) TT--30s to a single L6-30. This way you can charge 240 at old style rv parks. You need to find 2 plugs on opposite circuits build a relay box joining the 2 (so if one plug is unplugged, the pins don't stay hot and shock someone).

I could have sworn I answered this question somewhere recently. ;-)

I've used 10-30 dryer outlets and less commonly the 14-50 RV outlets. I've most commonly used two 120V outlets to make a 240V 20A outlet and charged at 16A. This is done at my grandparents' place regularly and at friends' places less frequently. My favorite 2x120V charging was here:
image_10911.jpg

It's at the Downtown Parking Structure in Brea, CA. the location has 2 J1772 EVSEs and several paddle chargers but when I arrived the spots were taken. I noticed two 120V outlets next to the EVSEs and I plugged the Quick240 device in and used my own EVSE. I came back a second time and there was an available EVSE but I was driving the Volt so I did the same trick, leaving an EVSE open for others to use.

Back