Who is driving 2013 Leaf? EPA range is 75 miles!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobsfreeleaf said:
Not even using the 3 kwh cord yet since I don't have my upgrade. So, am trickly charging. Wish I didn't have to give up my cord for the upgrade.
I recommend that you purchase an upgraded 2012 EVSE outright rather than send your 2013 for upgrade. It will cost you more, but it will give a faster charge and it is very well built. You will also get it much quicker that way!
bobsfreeleaf said:
I am over two light bulbs of charge this morning and the question is: "do i feel lucky?" I really WANT to drive it to work. :? 53 miles
I wouldn't do that until you've gotten used to it!

Enjoy your new LEAF!

She was just delivered. No kidding, the S modle is beautiful outside and in. I can't believe how much I like the interior, including the seats. It's just stunning. The pictures don't really do it justice. Pretty nice for a free car. Now to drive it!!! :p[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Where r the pics of your new boy/girl.

Congrats and get out there and drive!

Ian B[/quote]

Took the pictures but, do I have to pay to upload pics? Here is a link for now. sorry the the light was not good enough for the interior pic to come out. BTW, Drove it about 10 miles last night in ECO mode, and the available miles went up! http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...3394397.-2207520000.1361448014&type=3&theater

RegGuheert said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
Not even using the 3 kwh cord yet since I don't have my upgrade. So, am trickly charging. Wish I didn't have to give up my cord for the upgrade.
I recommend that you purchase an upgraded 2012 EVSE outright rather than send your 2013 for upgrade. It will cost you more, but it will give a faster charge and it is very well built. You will also get it much quicker that way![

Sorry, I don't understand. Why is that cord better? I was thinking I could get a charge on my new 220 circuit with the mail in cord in about 6 hours. There is another cord mod that is faster? How much? Thanks.

bobsfreeleaf said:
Sorry, I don't understand. Why is that cord better? I was thinking I could get a charge on my new 220 circuit with the mail in cord in about 6 hours.
Nissan has done a cost-and-weight-take-out exercise on the trickle charging EVSE for the 2013 LEAF. This new EVSE uses smaller wiring and therefore cannot be upgraded to 16A when it is upgraded to 240V. There is also speculation that it may have a built-in limit on the number of uses available, similar to the RAV4EV EVSE. That is not confirmed, however. Finally, it does not appear to be as rugged as the 2011/2012 EVSE, which is extremely well-built.
bobsfreeleaf said:
There is another cord mod that is faster? How much? Thanks.
The 2011/2012 EVSE can be upgraded to 240V/16A versus 240V/12A for the 2013 EVSE. Since you bought the 3.3kW charger, this will only make a minor difference, since your charger will limit you to around 14A, depending on the voltage in your home.

TonyWilliams said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
BTW, Drove it about 10 miles last night in ECO mode, and the available miles went up!

Please download of copy of the Range Chart before you get yourself in trouble with that GuessOmeter.

Enjoy!

Thanks Tony: You don't sleep either :shock: ? thanks for the great chart. I am at 8 bars now, with 3 1/2 hours of time left to "trickle". I promise I will be good. If you see me on I-15 going 80, you can publicly flog me. :cool:

RegGuheert said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
Sorry, I don't understand. Why is that cord better? I was thinking I could get a charge on my new 220 circuit with the mail in cord in about 6 hours.
Nissan has done a cost-and-weight-take-out exercise on the trickle charging EVSE for the 2013 LEAF. This new EVSE uses smaller wiring and therefore cannot be upgraded to 16A when it is upgraded to 240V. There is also speculation that it may have a built-in limit on the number of uses available, similar to the RAV4EV EVSE. That is not confirmed, however. Finally, it does not appear to be as rugged as the 2011/2012 EVSE, which is extremely well-built.
bobsfreeleaf said:
There is another cord mod that is faster? How much? Thanks.
The 2011/2012 EVSE can be upgraded to 240V/16A versus 240V/12A for the 2013 EVSE. Since you bought the 3.3kW charger, this will only make a minor difference, since your charger will limit you to around 14A, depending on the voltage in your home.

Very helpful. I have been in communication with the EVSE upgrade company, and told them I was purchasing a 2013. Do you think they don't know this info yet? If I get you, the cord I have can be upgraded to handle my 3.3kw needs at home (although a less robust cord), but there is a possibility that a new configuration may render the cord useless for my purpose, and that is yet to be determined?

If your assumptions are correct, this just cost me about $800 :eek:

bobsfreeleaf said:
Very helpful. I have been in communication with the EVSE upgrade company, and told them I was purchasing a 2013. Do you think they don't know this info yet?
Certainly Phil (Ingineer) knows this all better than I do. The information came from him! But I'm not sure if he has gotten inside the 2013 EVSE, yet.
bobsfreeleaf said:
If I get you, the cord I have can be upgraded to handle my 3.3kw needs at home (although a less robust cord), but there is a possibility that a new configuration may render the cord useless for my purpose, and that is yet to be determined?
If you upgrade your existing cord, you can charge your battery at about 240V*12A-320W=2.5kW. Phil should soon know whether or not there is a limit on how many times you can use the new EVSE.
bobsfreeleaf said:
It cost me $350 (including shipping both ways) and two full weeks to get my EVSE upgraded. Part of my cost was the 16A option, so yours should be less. I thought the new ones cost $1000 for a difference to you of $700. Perhaps they have gone up?

bobsfreeleaf said:
She was just delivered...

Congratulations Bob!

If you really want to understand the range/ kWh capacity of your 20113, do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor and get your Carwings account operational ASAP.

Once you complete a drive from "100%" to LBW or VLBW, post the CW results, and we should all know what the 2013 EPA estimated range improvement really means.

The "range chart" is a crude and inaccurate means of predicting range for a 2011-12 LEAF, and it will probably be next to useless in accurately predicting range for the significantly improved 2013 MY.

edatoakrun said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
She was just delivered...

Congratulations Bob!

If you really want to understand the range/ kWh capacity of your 20113, do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor and get your Carwings account operational ASAP.

Once you complete a drive from "100%" to LBW or VLBW, post the CW results, and we should all know what the 2013 EPA estimated range improvement really means.

The "range chart" is a crude and inaccurate means of predicting range for a 2011-12 LEAF, and it will probably be next to useless in accurately predicting range for the significantly improved 2013 MY.

Sorry, no Carwings for me. :cry: I've got the Fred Fintsone version, Model S. Now, If I get my dog in the car with me andlet her stick her head out of the window, I might be able to calibrate my bars to the speed of her tail wag :lol:

bobsfreeleaf said:
...If your assumptions are correct, this just cost me about $800 :eek:

Phil's upgrade is IMO unsurpassed for L1/L2 versatility and dependability, but if it turns out the 2013 EVSE is not suitable, you might want to consider this ~$600 option for L2:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

="bobsfreeleaf"
Sorry, no Carwings for me. I've got the Fred Fintsone version, Model S. Now, If I get my dog in the car with me andlet her stick her head out of the window, I might be able to calibrate my bars to the speed of her tail wag.

I forgot about no CW on the S.

I'd still suggest you keep a lookout for someone Else's CW 2013 reports to fill you in.

RegGuheert said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
It cost me $350 (including shipping both ways) and two full weeks to get my EVSE upgraded. Part of my cost was the 16A option, so yours should be less. I thought the new ones cost $1000 for a difference to you of $700. Perhaps they have gone up?
Nevermind. I forgot to figure in the $25 for the adapter cord and the fact that you would still need to pay the $48 for the 16A option. But remember you will save about $25 on shipping TO EVSEupgrade.com.

RegGuheert said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
Very helpful. I have been in communication with the EVSE upgrade company, and told them I was purchasing a 2013. Do you think they don't know this info yet?
Certainly Phil (Ingineer) knows this all better than I do. The information came from him! But I'm not sure if he has gotten inside the 2013 EVSE, yet.
bobsfreeleaf said:
If I get you, the cord I have can be upgraded to handle my 3.3kw needs at home (although a less robust cord), but there is a possibility that a new configuration may render the cord useless for my purpose, and that is yet to be determined?
If you upgrade your existing cord, you can charge your battery at about 240V*12A-320W=2.5kW. Phil should soon know whether or not there is a limit on how many times you can use the new EVSE.
bobsfreeleaf said:
Hi Reg: I will defer to Phil cause I don't understand. Especially the part about how many times I can use the charger. It wears out based on the current passed through it??????

Also, if I am only doubling my 110 speed, which was 19 hours yesterday at 4 bars, then I am going need at least 10 hours to charge on my 240 upgraded cord???? That sux. Thx, Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
Also, if I am only doubling my 110 speed, which was 19 hours yesterday at 4 bars, then I am going need at least 10 hours to charge on my 240 upgraded cord???? That sux. Thx, Bob

To get the maximum charge rate your "3.3 kW" charger LEAF is capable of, you'd want a 240 Volt EVSE, 16 Amps or higher.

6-7 hours for a "dead" to "100%" charge.

Something else you could do for the benefit of the rest of us, is to get a "kill-a-Watt" and record your 2013's kWh use from a low charge level to "100%".

Where did you get the "19 hours yesterday at 4 bars" figure? That sounds too long, especially if the 2013 charger is significantly more efficient than the 2011-12.

bobsfreeleaf said:
Hi Reg: I will defer to Phil cause I don't understand. Especially the part about how many times I can use the charger. It wears out based on the current passed through it??????
The point is that the Toyota Rav4EV has a limit programmed into the unit that will cause it to stop working after a certain number of uses. There is speculation that the new 2013 LEAF unit may have the same "feature".
bobsfreeleaf said:
You will more than double your speed, because there is about 320W of overhead no matter how fast you charge the battery. Here are the approximate charging rates you might expect:

120V/12A: 1.12kW = 1X
240V/12A: 2.56kW = 2.28X
240V/16A: 3.3kW = 2.94X (Limited by charger, not EVSE.)
240V/16A: 3.52kW = 3.14X (For a 2013 LEAF with 6kW charger.)

For other EVSE charging rates which can be purchased for your home:
240V/24A: 5.44kW = 4.86X (For a 2013 LEAF with 6kW charger.)
240V/32A: 6.0kW = 5.36X (For a 2013 LEAF with 6 kW charger. Limited by charger, not EVSE.)

(Please note that these numbers are based on the 320W overhead load in the 2011 LEAFs. The overhead in the 2013s may have been reduced slightly. Hopefully Phill will measure that for us soon!)

Congrats on your LEAF

I USE 12 amp EVSE and u will be likely fine withthat. My avearge charge time is 4-6 hours so not much slower and

Doubling voltage does not cutcharving speed in half. U have overhead from BMS that is nearly static so u will do better than half using 240

bobsfreeleaf said:
She was just delivered. No kidding, the S modle is beautiful outside and in. I can't believe how much I like the interior, including the seats. It's just stunning. The pictures don't really do it justice. Pretty nice for a free car. Now to drive it!!! :p
[/quote][/quote]

Where r the pics of your new boy/girl.

Congrats and get out there and drive!

Ian B[/quote]

Took the pictures but, do I have to pay to upload pics? Here is a link for now. sorry the the light was not good enough for the interior pic to come out. BTW, Drove it about 10 miles last night in ECO mode, and the available miles went up! http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...3394397.-2207520000.1361448014&type=3&theater[/quote]

Thanks but I don't use Facebook and can not view them. Photobucket is free and you can get a link from them to post here once uploaded.

Ian B

bobsfreeleaf :
First, congrats on the new LEAF. And thanks for sharing the photos. I am really impressed with the interior; so much more nice than the 2012. My ICE has black leather interior and I wish now that I had waited a few months to lease my LEAF and I could have picked up a 2013.

Anyway, I have been trickle charging my LEAF as my sole charging source since I got it in December 2012. I use the Panasonic unit that came with the car - and I employ a 25' 10AWG extension cord for convenience when i need to pick up a few extra KWh while parked at work. I do that maybe once a week or so. Generally, I have no problem getting to work and back home. It's a 50-mile round trip commute. I have been experimenting with my drives; watching the dash-meters, setting trip timers, and checking carwings a lot lately...

My commute is in the Upstate area of South Carolina, cool winter weather, no snow, moderate hill, conservative driving habits. I have two choices for my commute and have been testing them for efficiency ; (1) 49 miles of interstate @ 63mph + 1 mile of side roads at 45mph. Results are averaging ~3.8 miles/KWh, trip time is 30 minutes. Leave the house on 80% charge, return home with one bar.
(2) 50 miles of side roads @ 45mph. Results are ~4.3 miles/KWh, trip time is 40 minutes. Leave the house on 80% charge, return home with two bars.

Two months into my LEAF driving and I am finally free of any range anxiety. Also, I have plenty of time at night to charge on L1 to 100% if I choose to. And I do occasionally.

An important Note is that there are many many variables and so its really impossible to compare two different LEAF driver's results.

While I do not have a NEED for L2 charging, I am interested in having that option. So, here is what I did...
Found a brand new, unused, un-opened Panasonic L1 unit, still in the wrapper and in the black case, for sale on EBay. I purchased that unit (got it yesterday) and I am going to send it in for the EVSE Upgrade.

My understanding, based on the smart people here on this forum, is that i should expect an increase in my charging efficiency going from L1 (~85% eff.) to L2 (~87% - 90% eff.) and since the charge time is less, it will equate to less charging cost for me. Not much, but every little bit helps.

As you are the owner of a 2013 LEAF, please keep us posted on how everything works out for you!

edatoakrun said:
bobsfreeleaf said:

To get the maximum charge rate your "3.3 kW" charger LEAF is capable of, you'd want a 240 Volt EVSE, 16 Amps or higher.

6-7 hours for a "dead" to "100%" charge.

Something else you could do for the benefit of the rest of us, is to get a "kill-a-Watt" and record your 2013's kWh use from a low charge level to "100%".

Where did you get the "19 hours yesterday at 4 bars" figure? That sounds too long, especially if the 2013 charger is significantly more efficient than the 2011-12.

I read the 19 on the screen when I pushed one of the buttons. Seems it is charging faster than that to me since its nearly 11 bars now, and has only been plugged in about 12 hours. Maybe I missread it. Thx, Bob

iamwjh said:
bobsfreeleaf :
First, congrats on the new LEAF. And thanks for sharing the photos. I am really impressed with the interior; so much more nice than the 2012. My ICE has black leather interior and I wish now that I had waited a few months to lease my LEAF and I could have picked up a 2013.

Anyway, I have been trickle charging my LEAF as my sole charging source since I got it in December 2012. I use the Panasonic unit that came with the car - and I employ a 25' 10AWG extension cord for convenience when i need to pick up a few extra KWh while parked at work. I do that maybe once a week or so. Generally, I have no problem getting to work and back home. It's a 50-mile round trip commute. I have been experimenting with my drives; watching the dash-meters, setting trip timers, and checking carwings a lot lately...

My commute is in the Upstate area of South Carolina, cool winter weather, no snow, moderate hill, conservative driving habits. I have two choices for my commute and have been testing them for efficiency ; (1) 49 miles of interstate @ 63mph + 1 mile of side roads at 45mph. Results are averaging ~3.8 miles/KWh, trip time is 30 minutes. Leave the house on 80% charge, return home with one bar.
(2) 50 miles of side roads @ 45mph. Results are ~4.3 miles/KWh, trip time is 40 minutes. Leave the house on 80% charge, return home with two bars.

Two months into my LEAF driving and I am finally free of any range anxiety. Also, I have plenty of time at night to charge on L1 to 100% if I choose to. And I do occasionally.

An important Note is that there are many many variables and so its really impossible to compare two different LEAF driver's results.

While I do not have a NEED for L2 charging, I am interested in having that option. So, here is what I did...
Found a brand new, unused, un-opened Panasonic L1 unit, still in the wrapper and in the black case, for sale on EBay. I purchased that unit (got it yesterday) and I am going to send it in for the EVSE Upgrade.

My understanding, based on the smart people here on this forum, is that i should expect an increase in my charging efficiency going from L1 (~85% eff.) to L2 (~87% - 90% eff.) and since the charge time is less, it will equate to less charging cost for me. Not much, but every little bit helps.

As you are the owner of a 2013 LEAF, please keep us posted on how everything works out for you!

Thnaks iamwjh: Glad to hear there is another member of the "trickle" club! don't be too upset about your leather. I will be thinking of you when I am scooping the peanut butter off my seats that my kid spills on my cloth. :cry:

Back