Who is driving 2013 Leaf? EPA range is 75 miles!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info, Marv! And welcome!

37 miles at 7F with the heater on while using 58% of the battery doesn't sound terrible, but three years from now you'll probably use a bit more battery to make the same trip.

I am very jealous of your freeway range - I drove 59 miles on the 10th at 4.1 mi/kWh (freeway speeds mostly 65 mph) with a bit of surface street driving and got home with 1 bar 8 GOM miles remaining - not far from LBW.

Does the '13 still give you LBW when the last bar is about to go away?
I know I get the first dashboard light at 19% battery because that happened tonight. I do also recall that Tony said I got the second warning on our test drive as well. No bells, whistles, colors, or anything. You would almost miss it in the S. I am a bit surprised by my M/KW that stays in the range of 4.4 or so, in spite of my freeway speeding. Seems an improvement there, or else I am a great driver :lol:

bobsfreeleaf said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
I am reformatting my driving experience into a table, for ease of use. I have also written a "simple" formula to determine implied MAXIMUM driving range (to zero charge). It is basically miles driven divided by state of charge change between the beginning and end of the drive (charge expended if you will). You should knock off 10 to 20 miles of range for many reasons noted on this board. If you are in a high heat or freezing cold region, do not use this table. This information is for San Diego with a brand new battery and an S model 2013 Leaf, relatively flat drive about 2/3 freeway, 1/3 street. I will note when I am not in ECO mode. I drive the fwy at 65-70 most days. This drive is indicated by "Comm." My drive around town running errands is indicated by "Errand". Hope this will be useful in your buying decisions. I have removed my avg drive speed because I realized the only thing it is measuring is how long I spend in the Mc Donalds drive through.

Code:
Drive #	Tempera	Drive sty/Frwy mph	Bars start	Bars end	SOC start	SOC end	Mi. drvn	Imp Rng	M/KWH	note
Comm. No. 1.	50’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 65	11 bars	4 bars at end	90% beg;	35% end	43 miles	78 miles	xxx	Part rain/heat
Comm. No. 2.	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 65	12 bars	7 bars at end	100% beg	54% end	43 miles	93 miles	xxx	
Comm. No. 3.	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 65	12 bars	5 bars at end	100% beg	40% end	54 miles	90 miles	xxx	
Comm. No. 4.	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 72	12 bars	4 bars at end	100% beg	29% end	61 miles	86 miles	xxx	Drove the fast lane
Comm. No. 5.	60’s/70’s	Eco/Freewy 65	11 bars	4 bars at end	91% beg;	33% end	51 miles	88 miles	4.3	
Comm. No. 6.	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 67	12 bars	4 bars at end	98% beg;	38% end	59 miles	 98 miles	4.4	
Comm. No. 7.	60’s/78dg	Eco/Freewy 70	12 bars	4 bars at end	97% beg;	30% end	60 miles	 90 miles	4.3	Used 10 min A/C
Comm. No. 8.	60’s/70’s	Eco/Freewy 70	12 bars	4 bars at end	100% beg	31% end	60 miles	 87 miles	4.3	
Comm. No. 9.	50’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 70	12 bars	2 bars at end	96% beg	 18% end	66 miles	 85 miles	4.4	

1st leg:Comm.6	60’s/60’s	Eco/no Freewy	12 bars	11 bars at end	98% beg	87% end	14 mi	 127 miles	5.1;	Some down hill
Errand No 1a	60’s to 70	Eco/Air/no Freewy	10 bars	3 bars at end	79% beg	23% end	45 mi	 80 miles	4.4;

^^^
Interesting. From the videos I've seen, in '11 and '12 Leafs (and presumably '13s above the S trim), there was an audible voice alert when you reached turtle. Not sure about the other earlier low battery states. I'm sure some folks here can chime in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCx5T4Sb-q4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was from an Edmunds test long ago.

cwerdna said:
From the videos I've seen, in '11 and '12 Leafs (and presumably '13s above the S trim), there was an audible voice alert when you reached turtle. Not sure about the other earlier low battery states. I'm sure some folks here can chime in.

I've only dared to go as far as the 1st LBW and I recall there was an audio warning for that. A pleasant female voice overrode whatever was playing on the stereo to let me know I needed to charge soon :)

cwerdna said:
Interesting. From the videos I've seen, in '11 and '12 Leafs (and presumably '13s above the S trim), there was an audible voice alert when you reached turtle. Not sure about the other earlier low battery states. I'm sure some folks here can chime in.
On my 2011 SL, at LBW, the nice lady says my battery is low, the GOM starts flashing, and the yellow warning triangle comes on. At VLBW she speaks up again, saying the battery is very low and asks if I want to search for a charging station, the GOM goes to 3 flashing bars, and a popup on the console screen gives me a yes/no choice on the charging station search. I only took it to Turtle once, and I don't remember exactly what happened then (except that I was nearly stopped when the light came on and I had to "climb" a two-block residential street -- total rise about 8 feet :) -- and was beginning to wonder if I would make it before getting to the "top" where I could coast down into my driveway.)

I think some of the warnings may be controlled by [Zero Emission button] -> [Settings] -> [Battery & Power Alerts].

Ray

planet4ever said:
On my 2011 SL, at LBW, the nice lady says my battery is low, the GOM starts flashing, and the yellow warning triangle comes on. At VLBW she speaks up again, saying the battery is very low and asks if I want to search for a charging station, the GOM goes to 3 flashing bars, and a popup on the console screen gives me a yes/no choice on the charging station search.

On the LEAF-S, there was not an aural warning at VLB, since searching for a charging station would be pointless without navigation.

I don't recall an aural warning at LBW either. Everything else was the same as previous LEAFs. Sorry, I can't figure out how to make this start at 2:22:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJudzKQftv4[/youtube]

Have you ever had your M/KWH dropped radically after one event. Yesterday I was going soft (65 mph for me), and really happy to see a 5.1 on the readout. I really thought "today is the day I get a 100 mile readout". However, after driving more than half my commute, I needed to punch it on an uphill strectch of freeway (for no more than 20 seconds or so). Then, poof, I am back to 4.3. Mind you this was like 35 miles into my commute. I ended the day with pretty typical performance on the range. Does that make sense????

bobsfreeleaf said:
Have you ever had your M/KWH dropped radically after one event. Yesterday I was going soft (65 mph for me), and really happy to see a 5.1 on the readout. I really thought "today is the day I get a 100 mile readout". However, after driving more than half my commute, I needed to punch it on an uphill strectch of freeway (for no more than 20 seconds or so). Then, poof, I am back to 4.3. Mind you this was like 35 miles into my commute. I ended the day with pretty typical performance on the range. Does that make sense????

Yes.

I am reformatting my driving experience into a table, for ease of use. I have also written a "simple" formula to determine implied MAXIMUM driving range (to zero charge). It is basically miles driven divided by state of charge change between the beginning and end of the drive (charge expended if you will). You should knock off 10 to 20 miles of range for many reasons noted on this board. If you are in a high heat or freezing cold region, do not use this table. This information is for San Diego with a brand new battery and an S model 2013 Leaf, relatively flat drive about 2/3 freeway, 1/3 street. I will note when I am not in ECO mode. I drive the fwy at 65-70 most days. This drive is indicated by "Comm." My drive around town running errands is indicated by "Errand". Hope this will be useful in your buying decisions. I am going to try some slower freeway speeds in the future. However, I am not seeing much improvement going 65 on the freeway. Part of this might be some elevation changes on my commute.
Code:
Drive #	Tempera	Drive sty/Frwy mph	Bars start	Bars end	SOC start	SOC end	Mi. drvn	Imp Rng	M/KWH	note
Comm. No. 1.	50’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 65	11 bars	4 bars at end	90% beg;	35% end	43 miles	78 miles	xxx	Part rain/heat
Comm. No. 2.	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 65	12 bars	7 bars at end	100% beg	54% end	43 miles	93 miles	xxx	
Comm. No. 3.	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 65	12 bars	5 bars at end	100% beg	40% end	54 miles	90 miles	xxx	
Comm. No. 4.	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 72	12 bars	4 bars at end	100% beg	29% end	61 miles	86 miles	xxx	Drove the fast lane
Comm. No. 5.	60’s/70’s	Eco/Freewy 65	11 bars	4 bars at end	91% beg;	33% end	51 miles	88 miles	4.3	
Comm. No. 6.	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 67	12 bars	4 bars at end	98% beg;	38% end	59 miles	 98 miles	4.4	
Comm. No. 7.	60’s/78dg	Eco/Freewy 70	12 bars	4 bars at end	97% beg;	30% end	60 miles	 90 miles	4.3	Used 10 min A/C
Comm. No. 8.	60’s/70’s	Eco/Freewy 70	12 bars	4 bars at end	100% beg	31% end	60 miles	 87 miles	4.3	
Comm. No. 9.	50’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 70	12 bars	2 bars at end	96% beg	18% end	66 miles	 85 miles	4.4	
Comm. No. 10	50’s/50’s	Eco/Freewy 70	12 bars	3 bars at end	100% beg	25% end	64 miles	 85 miles	4.2	
Comm. No. 11	50’s/70’s	Eco/Freewy 70	12 bars	3 bars at end	100% beg	23% end	67 miles	 87 miles	4.3	
Comm. No. 12	60’s/60’s	Eco/Freewy 65	12 bars	5 bars at end	100% beg	37% end	56 miles	 89 miles	4.4	

1st leg:Comm.6	60’s/60’s	Eco/no Freewy	12 bars	11 bars at end	98% beg	87% end	14 mi	 127 miles	5.1;	Some down hill
Errand No 1a	60’s to 70	Eco/Air/no Freewy	10 bars	3 bars at end	79% beg	23% end	45 mi	 80 miles	4.4;	
[/quote][/quote][/quote]
For now I am going to go out on a limb and call this car a 90 mile range commuter car (in my scenario). While I want it to be 100, I seriously doubt I can get there without unsafe (55mph) freeway speeds. As always, this is my opinion. On the positive side, feel free to drive 70mph and still get in the 80+ range. Thx, Bob

TonyWilliams said:
planet4ever said:
On my 2011 SL, at LBW, the nice lady says my battery is low, the GOM starts flashing, and the yellow warning triangle comes on. At VLBW she speaks up again, saying the battery is very low and asks if I want to search for a charging station, the GOM goes to 3 flashing bars, and a popup on the console screen gives me a yes/no choice on the charging station search.

On the LEAF-S, there was not an aural warning at VLB, since searching for a charging station would be pointless without navigation.

I don't recall an aural warning at LBW either. Everything else was the same as previous LEAFs. Sorry, I can't figure out how to make this start at 2:22:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJudzKQftv4[/youtube]

LBW Audio is a single Beep with dash lights

Back