Wholesale value of the 2011 Leaf @Auction March 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an update on the 2011 & 2012 LEAF SL. As expected the year-end model incentives are depressing values, but it is expected that they won't drop more than current values over the next few months, especially if the 2012s sell out in January as expected. Overall, 2011 and 2012 models are holding up well, but the volume continues to be in 2011 cars. Note that retail values of 2012 cars are about the same as new cars. This is due to the fact that the 12 is the current model year, and that they are still in short supply in many areas, and that these prices do not include incentives that may be available.

Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-10-22-11SL.jpg

Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-10-22-12SL.jpg

gaswalla said:
Any updates?

I just got a quote of $9000 for my leaf with only 10,000 miles. Nissan says it is only worth $11k retail used because you can get a new one for less than $200/mo. Seems the good deals have caused the bottom to fall out of the used market.

palmermd said:
gaswalla said:
Any updates?

I just got a quote of $9000 for my leaf with only 10,000 miles. Nissan says it is only worth $11k retail used because you can get a new one for less than $200/mo. Seems the good deals have caused the bottom to fall out of the used market.
Woah! By Nissan, do you mean a stealership? Sounds like they were completely low-balling you. I'd try another dealer and maybe Carmax (never been to one, none are near me).

I sure wish I could buy a used Leaf for $11K.

(BTW, when I sold my former 04 350Z Enthusiast trim (which I bought new in 03) w/52.8K miles while in WA state, middle of 2011, I put it an ad up on Craigslist. I got few responses, but one was actually from a used car dealer. They offered me $12K. I went to a Nissan dealer and they offered me only $10K. In the end, I sold it to another Nissan dealer for $13,375. I was pretty happy with about the price I got in the end as it was higher than what I was asking for on CL (and getting few responses, let alone reasonable offers). The Nissan dealers didn't know about my CL ad.)

If I were selling, I would gamble on waiting till the 2013's are out. Either the great lease prices will stop and used car,alues go up or they don't and the value stays the same

jspearman said:
This car will be the most expensive lesson I've ever learned.

I agree. I just left the dealership in complete shock. I was offered $14,600 on my 2011 SL LEAF. (19K miles, one lost bar). The car is in decent shape, no accident. This car has no resale value at all.

$9,000 is too low. all dealers want to make a profit but some are simply too greedy. if you were buying a car from them, you could have bumped it up several thousand. I would continue to shop it around. you can get a better price than that

Have you guys looked at the prices on Ebay. Most of the Leafs there are listed in the low 20's. There are very few that are less than 20k.

You might also try carmax. They will often give you a better price than the Nissan dealer.

According to this article at plugincars the Leaf is a little lower than a gas car, but not that much.

http://www.plugincars.com/kelley-blue-book%E2%80%99s-leaf-resale-values-lag-behind-other-vehicles-125697.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:
$9,000 is too low. all dealers want to make a profit but some are simply too greedy. if you were buying a car from them, you could have bumped it up several thousand. I would continue to shop it around. you can get a better price than that
Yeah. It sounds WAY too low.

If palmermd didn't live in Sacramento (concerned about high temps there), I'd consider buying his Leaf, if the price were right... If it got down to $11K, I might take it :), even w/the fear that it's lost more capacity than one in my area...

(I'm not interested in mdh's car because it's black.)

BTW, when I posted about selling my old 04 350Z to a Nissan dealer, I wasn't buying anything from them. I was selling it instead of moving it (and I figured I'd replace it w/a Leaf anyway). Long story...

Seriously if you don't have carmax locally search autotrader.com and carmax.com for a 200-250 mile radius and base your price on that. Post it on craigslist if you can't sell it to carmax or the local dealer for a decent price.

I just searched carmax.com for any distance (the entire country) and the cheapest leaf they have is over $20,000.

I just searched autotrader.com for any distance (the entire country) and the cheapest leaf was over $17,000.

I agree that the price will drop as soon as 2013 Leafs hit the market and drop again as soon as summer heat makes more people notice battery capacity loss.

I'm not expecting Nissan to step up in such a way to protect the used leaf prices and I'm sure the dealers that offer you $9000 are just playing it safe not knowing how low it will drop.

Price it out, try to sell it to someone other than the dealer, but don't hold out too long either. The real value is somewhere between $9000 and $17000 but I have no idea what it actually is.

KJD said:
Have you guys looked at the prices on Ebay. Most of the Leafs there are listed in the low 20's. There are very few that are less than 20k.
The listing prices aren't that helpful. It helps to look at completed listings to see what prices they have and haven't sold at. Even then, it's unclear if the transactions actually went thru in the end or fell thru. I only see 2 that sold for >$20K, the highest being a '12 SV in Louisiana with 674 miles for $20,600.

With so few Z's being actually "sold" there, I didn't have a good sense of pricing when looking at Ebay Motors completed auctions when I was selling my Z.

Where is the guy ( original poster) with a current wholesale price update. I'd be interested in a recent report.

Here is what I see.... Not enough data, but it does not look good.

Attachments

• Adesa Market Guide.jpg
    Adesa Market Guide.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 73
I'd imagine price depends a lot on the market, incentives and obviously supply/demand. Not sure if you saw http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

In contrast, waidy's '11 Leaf SL went very quickly for $20K w/5 people interested. She lives in a more favorable climate though.

It is about time to update this thread with December's wholesale values for a 2011 LEAF SL. There was quite a bit of activity last week with 62 cars going through auction. Prices and demand continue to hold steady on an average depreciation curve for a 2 year old model. Keep in mind that sales values of this car, as with the Volt, are based on an original MSRP minus federal and state incentives. So the baseline "new" value for a 2011 SL was closer to $27K ~ $28K, rather than their original MSRP. Depreciation for any vehicle is at its maximum at the 2 year mark, and 36% is about average for a mid and compact sized car.

The reports of low retail trade-in values are to be expected. The job of a customer is to buy a new car for as little as possible, and the job of a dealer is to buy a customer's used car for as little as possible as well. Some owners are better negotiators than others, so dealers that are able to talk owners into parting with their LEAFs for less than market value are simply taking those cars and flipping them at auction to get their true value. One final note is that the majority of the LEAFs that are in this report were sold at 3 auction sites, Pittsburg, Dallas and Orlando. That shows that the used market for LEAFs is still strong outside of the traditional core geographies that LEAFs have been sold into.

Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-12-23.jpg

in any car sale options, the very low lease prices do greatly impact the issues but I have to say with 10,000 miles on it, aftermarket bling and if in great conditiion, should sell for no less than $17-18,000. I would take no less than that.

the complication is that it is new technology and if the 2013 comes out with something cool that we are unaware of, that will push down the used car price a few thousand at least especially if there is the expected price drop.

if Nissan is serious about volume sales for 2013, they either have to come in with the SL in the low 30's, increase "something" a decent amount or both. i suspect both.

i feel that the level of "upgrades" we have seen from 2011 to 2012 will escalate slightly with 2013 forward for at least the next 2-3 years as Nissan figures out ways to build existing technology in an affordable way.

Smyrna will go a long long way towards achieving that end.

The other thing that is hurting EV prices is the fact that gasoline is way too cheap right now. My daughter filled up the gas guzzler at Costco yesterday for 2.99 per gallon. When gasoline is this cheap there is less incentive to use an alternative like electricity.

KJD said:
The other thing that is hurting EV prices is the fact that gasoline is way too cheap right now. My daughter filled up the gas guzzler at Costco yesterday for 2.99 per gallon. When gasoline is this cheap there is less incentive to use an alternative like electricity.

+1 on the gas price and that fact is hurting EVERYONE but the oil companies.

When does a tax hike put MORE money into YOUR pocket??

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/12/government-assistance-it-aint-always.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back