Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Leaf is much like the old VW Beetle in many ways. It's just basic, cheap (relatively speaking), air-cooled transportation. Gen 1 even had a somewhat iconic and fugly design , much like the original VW. Who knows, maybe folks will be turning old Leaf's into dune buggies in 20 years, or chopping off the roofs (already done) or ...

At least they have a functional AC and heating system as even the non-heat pump Leaf's can keep a driver much warmer and safer than the original VW Beetle.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Wish we had this in the US.

https://www.theautochannel.com/news/2021/08/25/1037761-sunverge-announces-strategic-partnership-with-simply-energy-nissan-australia-and.html

IMO, NIssan is highly disjointed in their approach to V2X. Being one of only a few that even have the capabilities, you would think they would have a cohesive policy, especially internationally - which they definitely do not!:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32453

For me, I'll wait until a renewable based V2X system is available (such as dcbel claims) and work directly with them to confirm that my Leaf SV Plus can be used as the primary energy storage. I'm wondering if this will have to be the approach, regardless of what Nissan claims as it sure seems they are "out to lunch" in the US.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:
https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/nissan-extends-smyrna-shutdown

Of this production cut is sure to hurt the bottom line.

paywall

Maybe it's just free to seniors who knows. It was just that the shutdown has been extended till mid September.

GaleHawkins said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:
https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/nissan-extends-smyrna-shutdown

Of this production cut is sure to hurt the bottom line.

paywall

Maybe it's just free to seniors who knows. It was just that the shutdown has been extended till mid September.

Well, gee.... was hoping for a wordier response...soooo when did the shutdown start and is just the LEAF or the entire plant?

cwerdna said:
Sending the paywalled URL to archive.is yielded https://archive.is/GRRYu, so you can read it.

Thanks for the readable link, no mention of the Leaf in general but I'd assume it's included.
Wonder if this will delay my Rav4 Prime on order......I received a call a couple of weeks back from my local dealer saying Japan received my order and would start building it within a few weeks, my dealer said I'd be notified when they started on it, I haven't heard anything back yet.
Truthfully I'd be OK waiting until next year as I'll already be claiming ~$4500 of my $7500 tax credit for a recently purchased Ionic PHEV, only letting me claim the remaining $3k for the Rav4, even though with it's battery size I should have been able to claim $7500, I'd be leaving $3500 on the table. If it comes in after Jan 1 I'll be able to claim the full $7500. My dealer said if the vehicle arrived in Dec, they'd hold it for me until Jan, which I thought was nice. When we ordered in last Oct they said it could be 2-3 years out so I was pretty sure claiming the Ionic this year would be fine, time will tell.

jjeff said:
Truthfully I'd be OK waiting until next year as I'll already be claiming ~$4500 of my $7500 tax credit for a recently purchased Ionic PHEV, only letting me claim the remaining $3k for the Rav4, even though with it's battery size I should have been able to claim $7500, I'd be leaving $3500 on the table. If it comes in after Jan 1 I'll be able to claim the full $7500.
If you need more tax liability, you could do a Roth conversion. If don't want to do that, then yeah, wait until next year.

Triggerhappy007 said:
If you need more tax liability, you could do a Roth conversion. If don't want to do that, then yeah, wait until next year.
This is true about a Roth increasing taxable income, but it can be complicated whether it is a smart money move. E.g, health insurance purchased via the ACA program will be effected, other tax credits and deductions may be affected, AMT may come into play ...

SageBrush said:
Triggerhappy007 said:
This is true about a Roth increasing taxable income, but it can be complicated whether it is a smart money move. E.g, health insurance purchased via the ACA program will be effected, other tax credits and deductions may be affected, AMT may come into play ...
I should be OK for the liability but it's my belief that one can only claim a maximum of $7500/year? I'm also not sure how much above $7500 my liability would be but I was planning on it being at least $7500.

When we leased our Leaf they took the $7500 off the top and then of course we got a great buyout option towards the end of the lease. Is this still the option? If so that would be the way to go to avoid potentially not being eligible for the $7500?

BrockWI said:
When we leased our Leaf they took the $7500 off the top and then of course we got a great buyout option towards the end of the lease. Is this still the option? If so that would be the way to go to avoid potentially not being eligible for the $7500?

The portion of the $7500 credit that NMAC applies to the lease varies: when I leased the '18 SL I only got about $4,000 of it. When my housemate leased her SV+, she got $10,600, along with a VERY generous trade-in allowance for her ailing Prius PHEV.

jjeff said:
I should be OK for the liability but it's my belief that one can only claim a maximum of $7500/year? I'm also not sure how much above $7500 my liability would be but I was planning on it being at least $7500.
No, you can claim more than $7500 as long as you enough tax liability. So if you want to buy a car that has a $4500 tax credit and one that has a $7500, just have at least $12,000 in tax liability and you'll be fine.

Triggerhappy007 said:
jjeff said:
No, you can claim more than $7500 as long as you enough tax liability. So if you want to buy a car that has a $4500 tax credit and one that has a $7500, just have at least $12,000 in tax liability and you'll be fine.
Thank you for clarifying that, makes me feel better if my Rav4 Prime were to come in earlier than December, but what I don't know and probably won't until I do taxes next year is if my liability will be much over $7500. When we had dependant kids at home in '13 when we purchased our first Leaf I seem to remember I was only able to claim around $5k of the $7500 but last year my liability was right around $7500 but I did make some changes to make sure I could claim the full $7500 this time, just not sure if it would be up to $12k....

jjeff said:
cwerdna said:
Sending the paywalled URL to archive.is yielded https://archive.is/GRRYu, so you can read it.

Thanks for the readable link, no mention of the Leaf in general but I'd assume it's included.
Wonder if this will delay my Rav4 Prime on order......I received a call a couple of weeks back from my local dealer saying Japan received my order and would start building it within a few weeks, my dealer said I'd be notified when they started on it, I haven't heard anything back yet.
Truthfully I'd be OK waiting until next year as I'll already be claiming ~$4500 of my $7500 tax credit for a recently purchased Ionic PHEV, only letting me claim the remaining $3k for the Rav4, even though with it's battery size I should have been able to claim $7500, I'd be leaving $3500 on the table. If it comes in after Jan 1 I'll be able to claim the full $7500. My dealer said if the vehicle arrived in Dec, they'd hold it for me until Jan, which I thought was nice. When we ordered in last Oct they said it could be 2-3 years out so I was pretty sure claiming the Ionic this year would be fine, time will tell.

Just making sure your decision is based on the lack of tax liability because EACH vehicle has its own credit. You can take the $7500 as many times as you can in a single year

DaveinOlyWA said:
jjeff said:
cwerdna said:

Just making sure your decision is based on the lack of tax liability because EACH vehicle has its own credit. You can take the $7500 as many times as you can in a single year
Thanks, yes I understand that now is true of the federal tax credit, I must have been getting it confused with some states where I know one can only get their credit once/year, and no my state has no such credit. I know I'll have enough liability for $7500, just not sure until I do taxes how much over that, which as much as I'd love to get the Rav4, I'm actually hoping for it to be delayed......come on chip shortage, help me out :lol:

Back