Working the Bubbles (power indicator bubbles)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting back to what mogur was saying - I've been experimenting a bit over the last few days. Preliminary results show that accelerating quickly to around 40 is not the best idea for efficiency. My m/kwh dropped in the last few days. There were other changes, though, like forced route changes - so I'm still calling this preliminary.

Well, a couple of things happened this past week.

Phil's EVSE upgrade came back faster than expected (Tuesday morning) and my solar (PV) addition was completed.

So there went the need to try to get as many miles as I could out of one charge.

I am more aware of the bubbles, especially when I take off from a stop. And I am trying to slow down more before stopping. These two things by themselves seem to make a big difference on range.

What is your definition of quickly? I've been experimenting and assuming you don't need to often and shortly stop from the terminal speed, around 18Kw seems to be optimum to get to 40.

evnow said:
Getting back to what mogur was saying - I've been experimenting a bit over the last few days. Preliminary results show that accelerating quickly to around 40 is not the best idea for efficiency. My m/kwh dropped in the last few days. There were other changes, though, like forced route changes - so I'm still calling this preliminary.

mogur said:
What is your definition of quickly? I've been experimenting and assuming you don't need to often and shortly stop from the terminal speed, around 18Kw seems to be optimum to get to 40.
3 bubbles is what I mean by quickly - as you were suggesting. I've been using 2 bubble acceleration (unless traffic dictates otherwise).

evnow said:
mogur said:
3 bubbles is what I mean by quickly - as you were suggesting. I've been using 2 bubble acceleration (unless traffic dictates otherwise).

I agree. that is generally my rule, along with anticipating traffic and stop lights, and not letting the guy behind me in the HOV lane dictate that I go 70 mph. After a few miles, I catch up the guys in front of me, anyway.

i consistently get 4+ m/kWh more like 4.4 with a commute that is 80% freeway.

If there is no traffic behind me, I can accelerate with 0 bubbles. If someone is behind me, I go to one bubble and it accelerates plenty quickly for street traffic. I rarely go to two bubbles, even at 45.

LEAFfan said:
If there is no traffic behind me, I can accelerate with 0 bubbles. If someone is behind me, I go to one bubble and it accelerates plenty quickly for street traffic. I rarely go to two bubbles, even at 45.
When I say 2 bubbles, it includes the "0" bubble - so my 2 bubbles = your 1 bubble.

Back