Comparison Tests: LEAF vs. Volt vs. ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lne937s

As I'm sure we will see a number of these to come, I though I would start a new thread for comparison tests drives in the media.

The first comparison tests of back-to-back drives are giving the LEAF the advantage over the Volt in terms of performance and handling (regardless of what manufacturer specs may inficate) and fun-to-drive factor.

NYT:
"while the Leaf is more lively and may appeal more to a driving enthusiast"
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/back-to-back-drives-in-the-chevrolet-volt-and-nissan-leaf/#more-74419

CNN:
"Peppy" "More Fun"
http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/09/test-driver-takes-exclusive-ride-on-freshest-electric-cars/?iref=allsearch
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/11/10/leaf.volt.electric.cars/index.html?iref=allsearch

lne937s said:
The first comparison tests of back-to-back drives are giving the LEAF the advantage over the Volt in terms of performance and handling (regardless of what manufacturer specs may inficate) and fun-to-drive factor.
Interesting considering the Volt is substantially more powerful and gets to 60 significantly quicker.

I wonder if it's just "throttle" mapping sensitivity combined with the significantly lighter overall weight of the Leaf...

I found the Leaf decently entertaining to drive, but still would like 30% power on tap on occasion especially at higher speeds.

drees said:
lne937s said:
Interesting considering the Volt is substantially more powerful and gets to 60 significantly quicker.

I wonder if it's just "throttle" mapping sensitivity combined with the significantly lighter overall weight of the Leaf...

I found the Leaf decently entertaining to drive, but still would like 30% power on tap on occasion especially at higher speeds.

Volt gets to 60 quicker according to manufacturer claims. Back-to-back track tests with the traction control off have yet to be done. Remember that when it was introduced Nissan claimed 0-60 time for the GTR (5 seconds) was slower than what GM claimed for a regular Corvette, but it beat the Z06 in real life.

And they are different beasts- with the Volt claiming the combined output of two air-cooled electric motors with different output curves through a planetary gearbox, whereas the LEAF has one water-cooled motor through a reduction gear- the LEAF setup is far less complex and presumably more efficient in getting power to the road. Add in ~500 lbs less weight and Nissan's habit of undersatement and I would guess power to weight ratio at the wheels would probably fall in Nissan's favor for most speeds.

lne937s said:
.... Nissan's habit of undersatement and I would guess power to weight ratio at the wheels would probably fall in Nissan's favor for most speeds.
Before Ghosn came to Nissan it was known as a conservative engineering company. They made great vehicles but poor marketing & pricing lost them sales and margin. They almost went bankrupt.

Ghosn tried to change that - he authorized bold new designs and "muscle" cars. But I think at the core Nissan is still a conservative engineering company.

Back